Search Unity

Official TANKS! Tutorial Q&A

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Sep 21, 2015.

1. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Can this be imported to Unity 2020 (alpha) ? It doesn't seem to get loaded and I can not click on the important assets in the list to select them when being asked what should be imported. Any help?

2. ethanzfurman

ethanzfurman

Hello. I am really enjoying the tanks tutorial, but I am still having trouble attaching the TankMovement script to my Tank Prefab. I can't add the empty or the completed script. Both times, I end up with an error that says, "Can't add script behaviour CallbackExecutor. The script needs to derive from MonoBehaviour!" I have no idea what this means, but I'm hoping somebody else does. I'm using this on Unity 2018.4.18f1. Does anybody know a fix for this?

error.PNG

Oh yeah, I am also getting these console errors:
    console errors.PNG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  3. Roulik

Roulik

Check if your script has :MonoBehaviour after public class CallbackExecutor

4. ethanzfurman

ethanzfurman

Yup, I got that code.PNG

5. Roulik

Roulik

I can said almost sure de last two errors you have is because your tank don't have rigidbody component, still i don't know why you can't add the script to tank

6. Roulik

Roulik

Could put image of inspector tab with your tank prefab selected?

7. ethanzfurman

ethanzfurman

8. Roulik

Roulik

I don't have tanktravel.cs script in my proyect of that tutorial, how is that script?

9. Roulik

Roulik

I don't see any other difference between your tank and my tank, tanktravel and editor, i used editor 2019.1.14f1 to did tanks tutorial

10. ethanzfurman

ethanzfurman

TankTravel.cs is a new script I made where I just copied and pasted the script from TankMovement into and changed the public class. Neither script works, though. I'll try the different editor and hopefully it will work. Thanks for all of your help.

11. Roulik

Roulik

Delete that TankTravel from tank and from assets, there are something wrong with that. I do the same and my tank in inspector show diferent in that script component, i'm not sure if i explain correct my english is really bad.
    Just delete that script from tank and from assets and try again with tankmovement script

12. ethanzfurman

ethanzfurman

I retried the whole thing with a different version, and it worked! Thank you very much for your help! :)

Roulik likes this.
  13. KGERBR

KGERBR

There's a tutorial for adding AI to the Tanks tutorial game. Look for "Scriptable Objects" and it should come up.

14. KGERBR

KGERBR

Has anyone had any luck adding a menu to the Tanks tutorial game? I've added a menu and can transition to it etc but always get the dreaded Input Axis Horizontal error.

I was able to add two more tanks (so 3 AI and 1 player) and have set up the axis for them in Edit - Project Settings - Input Manager, so everything is working correctly before I try to add a menu.

I kind of think it related to where the axis movements are declared, and maybe because the tanks get disabled and re-enabled each round, etc ... but it doesn't seem to matter where I call the menu transition, I always get the Axis error. I even tried adding a menu with just text and no buttons but it still comes up.

Any ideas?

15. frangagn

frangagn

Very good tutorial, but it's missing Step #6 in the website. Fortunately, it's on Youtube.....

16. PriyankaKaria

PriyankaKaria

Does anyone know how to give mouse control to player 1?

17. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

it's not missing it's just in a combined step called creating and firing shells.

18. Risran

Risran

Which line is this?

19. White_Panther

White_Panther

I need to do this tutorial as a school project! Now I have to add a script which lets the player get a Speedboost while Pressing a certain Key. I tried to insert it with the
    Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R)
    in the TankMovement script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Move()
    2.     {
    3.         SpeedBoost();
    4.         // Adjust the position of the tank based on the player's input.
    5.         Vector3 movement = transform.forward * m_MovementInputValue * m_Speed * Time.deltaTime;
    6.         m_Rigidbody.MovePosition(m_Rigidbody.position + movement);
    7.     }
    9.     private void SpeedBoost()
    10.     {
    11.         //Get a Speedboost when Boost Key is pressed.
    12.         if (m_PlayerNumber == 1)
    13.         {
    14.             if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R))
    15.             {
    16.                 Vector3 movement = transform.forward * m_MovementInputValue * (m_Speed+5f) * Time.deltaTime;
    17.                 m_Rigidbody.MovePosition(m_Rigidbody.position + movement);
    18.             }
    19.         }
    20.         else if (m_PlayerNumber == 2)
    21.         {
    22.             if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.P))
    23.             {
    24.                 Vector3 movement = transform.forward * m_MovementInputValue * (m_Speed + 5f) * Time.deltaTime;
    25.                 m_Rigidbody.MovePosition(m_Rigidbody.position + movement);
    26.             }
    27.         }    
    28.     }
    The Player 1 should move 5 faster when pressing Key "R" and player 2 wehen pressing Key "P". It didn't work at all and the game just went on without even noticing the changes! please help! how can I get a Speedboost when pressing the key P/R? like what do I have to change and do I have to change anything in other scripts or settings?
    Thanks
    Lasse

20. Titolas82

Titolas82

hello, I have created a powerUp to recover health to 100% but it only applies to one tank even if it is picked up by the other.

SimpleCollectibleScript
    upload_2022-2-15_12-49-20.png
    TankHealth Script
    upload_2022-2-15_12-50-20.png

https://youtu.be/De1p4EU88QI

THANKSS

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  21. Titolas82

Titolas82

upload_2022-2-17_10-6-48.png

fixed, instead of calling the object in HealthTank I call it in the PowerUp Script.
    Thanks

22. derekdung0

derekdung0

I need help with my tank game. The tank doesn't move with the tank renderers

23. samgladiatorisbae

samgladiatorisbae

hello, i know im around 8 years too late to ask a question but i am hoping to get a answer. do you guys have any idea why the "players" layer doesnt exist, i have created a tank and also dragged in the complete tank and the difference is, on the tank mask section in the shell the "players" layer does not appear, i have also checked in the completed tank prefab and the layer at the top appears to be blank while still being able to take damage? and the tank i created cannot take damage. ive tried making my own player layer but that doesnt make a difference either, and i dont know if its an error in the script as Csharp hasnt told me that there are any errors. so if you know could you please notify me on how to fix this. thanks

24. unity_5355E374EACCF3FE17A3

unity_5355E374EACCF3FE17A3

Thanks!

25. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

You have written a '[HideInInspector] tag before that variable, remove it, and you'll see the targets. Good luck!

26. ravenclaw07

ravenclaw07

For some reason, my GameManager script will not allow me to put my CameraRig object into the camera control slot. Any recommendations on a fix?

27. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Not without seeing your code, please paste it into a code block using the code button on the forum so we can take a look :)

28. gmijic_WebmasterGM

gmijic_WebmasterGM

Mine too, so I fix it this way:
    Changed in script:
    line
    public CameraControl m_CameraControl; // Reference to the CameraControl script
    change to
    public GameObject m_CameraRig; // Reference to the CameraRig Game Object.

and add line:
    private CameraControl m_CameraControl; // Reference to the CameraControl script

and in void Start method, add next line:
    m_CameraControl = m_CameraRig.GetComponent<CameraControl>();

Now it works!