Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official TANKS! Tutorial Q&A

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Sep 21, 2015.

1. The_Rogue12

The_Rogue12

I need help with my tank game. When I press the arrow keys, particles come out from the red tank but it doesn’t move! It can shoot but it can’t move.

2. The_Rogue12

The_Rogue12

Is there anyone here? Is there anyone to help me out?

3. Hussar123

Hussar123

If the particles go out but you don't move, you should definitely check your TenkMovement script.Compare your TankMovement script to CompleteTankMovement script and try to figure out what is missing in your script.

4. The_Rogue12

The_Rogue12

nvm i just redownloaded the whole thing and fixed it

5. beaubikakis

beaubikakis

I am having a problem early on in the tutorial. I can't get the Tank Movement script to open in Monodevelopment. It is in the assets folder, I drag it up onto "Tank" in the hierarchy and it shows up like this in the inspector: Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.18.41 PM.png

Where when I click on the Script, it displays the error "Check external application preferences" so I go to preferences and change the external script editor to mono like this: Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.19.04 PM.png

And mono is indeed installed on my computer as I can open it and write scripts of my own. However, I still can't open from within unity. Any help would be appreciated.

6. unity_y1fnAImUJyiMzw

unity_y1fnAImUJyiMzw

No this is not the same. Consider there are 2 axis planes , one is x-y-z standard axis plane as you know , other is conceptual, the camera is tilted by about 60 degree y 40 degree x axis. The camera axis of plane does not match with standard axis, i mean when you press up you must go up but you go diagonal prespectively. So there are 2 planes.
    Problem is this that the distance on x on standard axis is not required but we need to find the x componented of tilted plane. For this make a quaternian (-40,-60,0) multiply it with the difference (m_tankposition1 - m_desired_position) without calculating inverse transform and take its x and z component , that is exact . ive tested it. Please make a public bool m_switch to compare results
    for (int i = 0; i < m_Targets.Length; i++)
    {
    if (!m_Targets.gameObject.activeSelf)
    continue;

Vector3 targetLocalPos = transform.InverseTransformPoint(m_Targets.position);

Vector3 desiredPosToTarget = targetLocalPos - desiredLocalPos;

if (m_switch) {
    Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.Euler (-40f,-60f,0);
    Vector3 differencec = m_Targets .position - m_DesiredPosition;
    Vector3 rotated = rotation * differencec;
    size = Mathf.Max (size, Mathf.Abs (rotated.z));

size = Mathf.Max (size, Mathf.Abs (rotated.x) / m_Camera.aspect);
    } else {
    size = Mathf.Max (size, Mathf.Abs (desiredPosToTarget.y));

size = Mathf.Max (size, Mathf.Abs (desiredPosToTarget.x) / m_Camera.aspect);
    }

}

{
    continue;

if (m_switch) {
    Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.Euler (-40f,-60f,0);
    Vector3 differencec = m_Targets .position - m_DesiredPosition;
    Vector3 rotated = rotation * differencec;
    size = Mathf.Max (size, Mathf.Abs (rotated.z));

size = Mathf.Max (size, Mathf.Abs (rotated.x) / m_Camera.aspect);
    } else {

}

}

7. cmarq7

cmarq7

I'm on Unity 20017.4.0f1 Personal (64bit) on a PC. This is what Tanks! Camera Control video Phase 3 of 8 at 29:38/30:10 (at the very end) looks like, but my screen doesn't have Targets, even though I think it's covered in the script (below). What did I miss? I can’t figure out how to deal with Targets Size or Element/Tank Transform. Any help is appreciated!

upload_2018-4-12_20-54-9.png

But my screen at this same point is looking like this:
    upload_2018-4-12_20-55-25.png

Camera Control Script:
    using UnityEngine;
    public class CameraControl : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public float m_DampTime = 0.2f;
    public float m_ScreenEdgeBuffer = 4f;
    public float m_MinSize = 6.5f;
    [HideInInspector] public Transform[] m_Targets;
    private Camera m_Camera;
    private float m_ZoomSpeed;
    private Vector3 m_MoveVelocity;
    private Vector3 m_DesiredPosition;
    private void Awake()
    {
    m_Camera = GetComponentInChildren<Camera>();
    }
    private void FixedUpdate()
    {
    Move();
    Zoom();
    }
    private void Move()
    {
    FindAveragePosition();
    transform.position = Vector3.SmoothDamp(transform.position, m_DesiredPosition, ref m_MoveVelocity, m_DampTime);
    }
    private void FindAveragePosition()
    {
    Vector3 averagePos = new Vector3();
    int numTargets = 0;
    {
    continue;
    averagePos += m_Targets.position;
    numTargets++;
    }
    if (numTargets > 0)
    averagePos /= numTargets;
    averagePos.y = transform.position.y;
    m_DesiredPosition = averagePos;
    }
    private void Zoom()
    {
    float requiredSize = FindRequiredSize();
    m_Camera.orthographicSize = Mathf.SmoothDamp(m_Camera.orthographicSize, requiredSize, ref m_ZoomSpeed, m_DampTime);
    }
    private float FindRequiredSize()
    {
    Vector3 desiredLocalPos = transform.InverseTransformPoint(m_DesiredPosition);
    float size = 0f;
    {
    continue;
    }

size += m_ScreenEdgeBuffer;
    size = Mathf.Max(size, m_MinSize);
    return size;
    }

public void SetStartPositionAndSize()
    {
    FindAveragePosition();
    transform.position = m_DesiredPosition;
    m_Camera.orthographicSize = FindRequiredSize();
    }

}

ANSWER: I found the answer to my question. I'll keep it in case another person has the same problem. The script says:
    [HideInInspector] public Transform[] m_Targets;

All you have to do is remove [HideInInspector} and it's not hidden anymore. It seems obvious now, but I didn't know what I was looking for. Now I can follow the tutorials again and it works fine. Targets now shows up in CameraRig in Inspector and you can drag CameraRig to Targets to get Element 0 to show up.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. cmarq7

cmarq7

I started watching the videos for TANKS! over again in case I missed something, but I'm having trouble following them because they aren't matching this latest version of Unity.

upload_2018-4-12_21-36-58.png

My screen doesn't have some of the options the video is referencing:

upload_2018-4-12_21-34-47.png

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Uncle-Dirt and Ehawknut like this.
  9. DannyZnet

DannyZnet

Hi guyz

I want to decrease the shells speed, what can I do? When I decr the force , its decreases the shell's range. I want the same range but more slowly with more time on air.

10. TUFFLB0Y

TUFFLB0Y

can anybody help me? There are compiler-errors befor I even placed something

Attached Files:

11. rodrigovelecaceres

rodrigovelecaceres

I just have one question. Why the shell explode when it touches the ground if there isn't a trigger collider on the ground?

12. xon235

xon235

Hi I have a little question regarding shell explosion.

Far as I know when the parent object is destroyed all child objects should be destroyed as well.
    But in the case of this tutorial's shell and shellExplosion, shellExplosion seems to be automatically detached and still exist without its parent object(shell).
    Why is this happening?
    The developer seems to aknowlege this since they wrote code to destroy shellExplosion seperately, so I would like to know why.

I've tested with other gameObjects and they all destory there child object when its destroyed.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've recently started working with Unity.
    As I developing the Tanks game, once I finished setting up the TankMovement script, I went into the play mode and tested it for a while.
    Initially, it looked to be working fine. However, as I kept on moving the tank around the game area, after a while even I was not giving any input from the keyboard, the tank kept moving slowly forward-backward and turning around erratically.
    Even when I printed out the x, y and z values of the Vector3 movement variable, all of them came out 0.

Any idea what's wrong?

14. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

It has been a while, but if I recall correctly there is code that detaches the child. Otherwise, it would be destroyed with the parent and you'd never see the effect. So that behavior is intentional

15. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

That sounds like inertia. Did you remember to set the drag of the tank's rigidbody?

16. GallChi

GallChi

Uh... My text "TANKS!" is not changing...
    there's no error and warnings plz help

17. Omark7

Omark7

I'm having a Tiny Problem with My Game , it Works all Fine , But the problem is that when I start My Game The Health Slider and the Aim Slider around my Tanks DONT SHOW UP ?! as if i Never created them. However When I Drag and Drop My Tank Prefab into the Hierarchy It Shows Up ?! Thanks in Advance :)

Attached Files:

18. quaintgames18

quaintgames18

Its Work thaks

19. tomasmacias

tomasmacias

Dear all,

thank you very much for your great contribution to Unity Learning. You are doing and you have done a great job.

I'm following the tutorial in the Unity Version 2018.2.6f1 under Windows 10 Home (64bits). Just small question:

I noticed the DustTrail Particle effects of my tank (both right and left) are only appearing when the parent tank is turning but not when it is moving (also linear speed seems not to be affecting to the particle system speed). Why is this happening? Did I miss something? Any clue?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your effort.

Moving forward:
    MovingForward.PNG
    Turning:
    turning.PNG

Best regards,
    Tomas

20. pbrowne

pbrowne

My dust trails are white instead of sand colored. Any ideas?

21. pbrowne

pbrowne

OK, the problem was with the dust material for the dust trail particles. This is how it should be:

Dust material for Dust Trail particles.png

Note that Albedo map should also be set to the Smoke sprite in the Sprites folder, this will give nice clouds of dust.

22. pbrowne

pbrowne

The Particle System has changed since the tutorial was done in 2015. You need to change the Emitter Velocity from Rigidbody to Transform:

emitter velocity.png

23. IsaGDC

IsaGDC

Hi all,

I found a problem with this tutorial...and I am nota able to solve it! When event system is on the following message appears: "input axis horizontalUI is not setup" due to we must create the axis horizontal +player Number in this tutorial... Do u think would It be a problem to disable It? Or what else can I do?

Thank u so much!!!!

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am trying to build a CPU vs. Player model of Tanks. Using NavMesh for finding out the the opponent is not being an issue. But I need the code required for attacking the player tank and also it needs to move away when the player's shell is coming towards it. Can anyone help me with the code for it?

25. CrowFea

CrowFea

Hi guys.
    So I just finished the entire tutorial .It all wet well except the shell explosion sound loops, the gameobject is removed from the scene.
    and also no matter who won the game, it all ends up with "DRAW". and I can't find any logical errors in the code.

Can anyone here help me out? Much thanks!

the code for shellExplosion
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)  //istrigger is called
    2.     {
    3.         // Find all the tanks in an area around the shell and damage them.
    4.         Collider[] colliders = Physics.OverlapSphere(transform.position, m_ExplosionRadius, m_TankMask);
    5.         for(int i = 0; i < colliders.Length; i++)
    6.         {
    7.             Rigidbody targetRigibody = colliders[i].GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    8.             if (!targetRigibody)
    9.             {
    10.                 continue;
    11.             }
    12.             targetRigibody.AddExplosionForce(m_ExplosionForce,transform.position,m_ExplosionRadius);
    14.             TankHealth targetHealth = targetRigibody.GetComponent<TankHealth>();
    15.             if (!targetHealth)
    16.             {
    17.                 continue;
    18.             }
    19.             float damage = CalculateDamage(targetRigibody.position);
    20.             targetHealth.TakeDamage(damage);
    21.         }
    23.         m_ExplosionParticles.transform.parent = null;
    24.         m_ExplosionParticles.Play();
    26.         m_ExplosionAudio.Play();
    28.         Destroy(m_ExplosionParticles.gameObject, 1.0f); //m_ExplosionParticles.main.duration);
    30.         Destroy(gameObject);
    31.     }

26. car65

car65

I have exactly the same problem on PC, 64-bit win10.
    Unity 2018.2. 17 f1

No ''Targets'' option.

So the camera will not move or resize according to the tanks.

Any suggestions?

Unalll and Vankurua like this.
  27. anasiqbal

anasiqbal

I know its been a long time but any update on this one?

28. agwebberley

agwebberley

Hi, I have finished the tutorial recently and wanted to add a main menu and a pause menu because unless it is in windowed format then there is no way to exit the game. Is there any tutorials on how to do this because the ones from Brackeys messed up the game??

29. mblosen85

mblosen85

I keep getting augment exception errors: Input Access Vertical1 or Horizontal1. I checked the input settings and it seemed they were misnamed because because none of them ended with a 1 or 2 like in the video. I've tried renaming them but it's not looking good. When I hit play all it will do is play a choppy engine noise.

30. lus-sco

lus-sco

I have an issue with this. Whenever I attempt to play the explosion particles from the shell, nothing happens. The shell does damage and throws the tank back, but it just will not play the particles or audio. for some reason it just ignores m_ExplosionParticles.Play(); as well as m_ExplosionAudio.Play();. Yes i filled in the references in the inspector, but any other help would be appreciated!

31. jasonsetiadi

jasonsetiadi

Hi there, I have a problem. When I start the game, only 1 tank (in spawnpoint1) would show up and the other tank (spawnpoint2) not showing up. The text also stuck at "TANKS!", not even showing the "Round 1" text. Also there is an error that I get. What should I do? Please help. 1.png 2.png 3.png

32. gwnguy

gwnguy

Component.GetComponentsInChildren note the s at the end of Components

33. alinplesca20

alinplesca20

Hello guys. I have a problem. I want to try and make the game to be played by a single player vs computer. What should I do first?
    Thank you!

34. colbtron

colbtron

I'm having a weird problem where the shells seem to almost drop when moving forward, and fly faster when I'm going backwards. Is there someway to add the velocity of the tank to the shell to help propel it forward? That's how the physics would work. A projectile launched from a moving vehicle would fly faster than if fired from a stationary vehicle.

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks

35. colbtron

colbtron

Write an artificial intelligence for the enemy tank! What's the best strategy for a tank to attack you? Should it take a couple shots at you, then drive in a circle? Or zip around an obstacle then come back at you? You'll have to think about games you've played and the strategies enemies have taken to attack you. They never come right at you, except in retro arcade games. This is a tricky part of game development.

One tip I will give you, you may want to add a primitive form of vision to the enemy tank. A cone that is a trigger collider so it can 'see' you and shoot at you with some sort of aiming strategy. I've played around with two of these like stereo vision so the enemy can turn left or right depending on what cone you're in, and fire at you when you're in the center part where the two cones intersect.

Good luck!

36. nikolaslanda

nikolaslanda

Please i have a question, after exploding the shell the tank slides out off the LevelArt prefab

37. colbtron

colbtron

How do you find the shooting? Was it working ok? My shells don't go forward properly when I'm moving.

38. alinplesca20

alinplesca20

Hi guys! I have a problem with my code.
    When I am trying to play the game I receive the next error: Assets\PluggableAI\Scripts\AttackAction.cs(24,41): error CS0122: 'TankShooting.Fire()' is inaccessible due to its protection level

I have tried to change the function from private to public, but I have another errors.
    What should I do to make the code working?

Thank you!

Here is my AttackAction code: upload_2019-4-27_15-0-0.png

Here is the TankShooting code: upload_2019-4-27_15-1-3.png upload_2019-4-27_15-1-39.png upload_2019-4-27_15-2-7.png

39. evyviggy

evyviggy

Hello, newbie here, be gentle with me.

I’ve been working through the Tanks tutorial and I thought it was going well until I got to the part where I needed to make my new tank a prefab and apply my changes. I didn’t have the option to apply on my prefab buttons.

I looked into this more and found out that means my “prefab” still thinks it’s a model. But I dragged it into the hierarchy field and then the prefab folder just like it showed. I’ve also made prefabs from scratch in other tutorial projects that worked out fine.

I noticed that when I first pulled my model into my hierarchy folder, it still has that little white icon in the corner like it does in the model folder, whereas in the tutorial video it doesn’t look like it does. But I don’t know what to do to make this not happen for mine.

On a related note, is it correct to think of a model as being the art part of an object without the physics/sound/etc components attached?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  40. evyviggy

evyviggy

I found a solution to my issues. I’ll post them incase they help someone else. I think some of my issues were version discrepancy problems. When I first started the tutorial, I did the import without having a new project open already and going directly to the assets store from the project. Then when I opened the downloaded assets, I first opened them with a newer version of unity that is not yet supported for this tutorial, and then has to go back and reopen with the older version. It did some conversion things that I thought would make it okay but ultimately didn’t. Long story short, start from scratch and do it right the first time and you’ll have less weird version control issues occur.

As for not having the apply button to update my prefab, I finally realized that if you click on the overrides menu next to the prefab open and select options, you can then select either revert all or apply all. I selected apply all from there and everything updated correctly.

41. c1pham489875

c1pham489875

Hello, i just finished the second tutorial video. I noticed the tank would continue to move slowly and rotate after it hit a building. Is there any way to fix this?

42. pierrechauvet

pierrechauvet

Hello, I'm a beginner. i finish a tutorial and I try implement wwise. My motor system is "function". But I don't know where identify Player 1 and Player 2. For every players modulate independent their motor system. If you help me, is wonderfull. Thank's and sorry for my english

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Start()
    2.     {
    3.         // The axes names are based on player number.
    4.         m_MovementAxisName = "Vertical" + m_PlayerNumber;
    5.         m_TurnAxisName = "Horizontal" + m_PlayerNumber;
    7.         // Store the original pitch of the audio source.
    8.         //m_OriginalPitch = m_MovementAudio.pitch;
    10.         MotorEventP1.Post(gameObject);
    12.         MotorEventP2.Post(gameObject);
    14.     }
    17.     private void Update()
    18.     {
    19.         // Store the value of both input axes.
    20.         m_MovementInputValue = Input.GetAxis(m_MovementAxisName);
    21.         m_TurnInputValue = Input.GetAxis(m_TurnAxisName);
    23.         //EngineAudio();
    25.         RpmRTPCP1.SetGlobalValue(m_MovementInputValue);
    26.         RpmRTPCP2.SetGlobalValue(m_MovementInputValue);

43. Vankurua

Vankurua

Thanks. You solve my problems

OboShape likes this.
  44. OboShape

OboShape

Good stuff that you got it fixed :)

45. QQQ_QQQ

QQQ_QQQ

Hello. I have question related to function "private bool OneTankLeft()" because i dont really understand what the result is.
    Function is of type bool so i understand that it should return 0/1 or true/false

so why there is "return numTanksLeft <= 1"?

can't we just write? (it doesnt work. i tried)

if( numTanksLeft <= 1)
    {
    return true;
    }

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  46. OboShape

OboShape

hi there,

the statement return numTanksLeft <= 1 is a shorthand/inline way of returning the answer to a comparison statement. so it gets the true or false answer to the question, is numTanksLeft less or equal to one, and then returns that value.

the function must return a Bool value, either true or false. and that return statement has to be 'reachable'.
    by that i mean that a return statement has to be called at some point within that functions use.

with the snipped you have below, if the numTanksLeft is 1 or less, then it will return true.

Code (CSharp):
    2. if( numTanksLeft <= 1)
    3. {
    4. return true;  // this will get called if numTanksLeft is less or the same as 1
    5. }
    but, if the number of tanks is greater than 1, the 'return true' line never gets called, and that code block is skipped over.
    If that return line is not getting called, then we need a 'reachable' return statement somewhere else.
    you could put an else block on the end of that if statement, so that the return statement is always reachable no matter if its greater or less than one.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if( numTanksLeft <= 1)
    2. {
    3. return true;
    4. }
    5. else
    6. {
    7. return false;
    8. }

QQQ_QQQ likes this.
  47. QQQ_QQQ

QQQ_QQQ

Thank you for such clear and comprehensive answer. Now I get it:)

Have a nice day

OboShape likes this.
  48. Unalll

Unalll

HOW CAN I DRAG THE CAMERARIG ONTO THE GAMEMANAGER. I tried it a lot but it doesn't work. I just drag it onto the GameManager but there is a mistake and it don't want to accept the CameraRig

49. ttgoss20

ttgoss20

my tank 1 movement keys are weird, a & d are forwards and backwards,.then S and w doesn't do nothing

50. Roulik

Roulik

Hi, i just start tanks tutorial i usin unity 2019.1 and setting lighting bake i can't find realtime resolution to set to 0.5
    Someone could said me how setup lightning in 2019.1
    Thanks