Search Unity

Tank Starter Kit Sneak Peak

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by CallToAdventure, Apr 15, 2011.

1. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Due to some issues on behalf of my hosting service, the website is down; working hard to put everything back. Thanks!

Now in Asset Store.

UPDATED WEBPLAYER!

I've been playing around with various tank setups for some time now, and decided to put something up in a simple, easy to use package. For the moment, I have the "driving around bit" done. There are weapons as well planned, the main cannon already shoots default unity editor spheres : ) - the turret has rotation around its axis and the cannon also has a limited rotation up/down (around x). Driving is controlled with WASD keys, the turret (hence the cannon up and down angle too) with the mouse. Fire is mapped to mouse buttons.

I know some people prefer various different types of controls for a tank so if you have any suggestions, go ahead and post them.

I was thinking to add 2 cameras (follow and machine gun POV), cannon and machine gun weapons as default.

Here's a very very short preview. There are a lot of details to be addressed but the basic stuff is already in place.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. coin-god

coin-god

Looking really good so far!

Are the tank thing on the wheel (sorry, can't remember its name) is an animated Texture (uv tiling) or actual model?

3. drillfoot

drillfoot

For some odd reason, when the tank makes it over the hill and starts scanning around it reminded me of the squirrel from Ice Age for some reason. As a person in the US Military and a job in 'tanks' I can honestly say the pivot looks well done as well. This looks good though, and I like the sound effects and the terrain movement. The tank seemed to operate very well..Nice.

4. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Yes, the threads (or tracks, not sure myself about the name in english) are animated UV's. The animation speed is equal if the vehicle goes straight, when turning left the left thread is moving slower and the right one faster - with configurable variables to fit your own tank setup. Currently I am trying to setup a realistic track movement - i.e. when turning left, left wheels are moving backwards, right wheels forward. Same goes for turning on the spot - mapped to Q (left) and R (right) . I figured is a quick way to navigate / drive the tank using default forward/backward left/right keys to WASD. Turret is controlled by mouse.

... oh yes, the squirrel : )

5. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

A couple of images before finishing the final touches and putting up a webplayer. An updated Panther tank, tracks animated properly, turning on spot, shooting deadly 75mm projectiles, machinegun and so on - almost ready to go so you can make your own awesome tank game.

And the sniperCam (well, cannon camera)

6. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Fantastic Work...Your stuff always rocks. I have been waiting on the fence to buy your Aircraft kit for version 2;)

7. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

Looks great

8. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Here's an early webplayer. Added link in the initial post as well.

Play

It's work in progress so be kind with the crits :)

Use WASD arrows for movement, Q and E for turning on spot (left wise and right wise) and mouse for turret / cannon aim. left click to shoot.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  9. GrimWare

GrimWare

A couple bugs:

Firing the cannon will propel the tank backwards, I can live with that, but I rotated the cannon all the way around, so it's facing the camera, and when I fired instead of being propelled forwards, it was still backwards, so you need to adjust that based on the rotation of the cannon.

Tanks have a lot of torque, and in the demo there's a small hill that at first I couldn't go up, so I backed up and got a running start. It really shouldn't need that running start.

10. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Well, in my book those are features in alpha/early beta : )

The push from the firing should only be that strong only when the cannon is facing forward direction, then the tank will more easy slide backwards (unless some brake is on);

True about torque as well; it's just not adjusted for the moment. I got other things to solve first; match tracks animation when turning on spot, finish the tracks/wheel system, adding secondary weapon, finish all the sound related bits, damage and so on.

11. the_professer22

the_professer22

meh. i prefer my ttanks to spin relisticly on the spot.

12. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

13. granada

granada

Worked for a little while then locked up my browser (firefox) wierd :(.

Dave

14. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Hm, I have on a particle system there (a test) to raise sand when I drive around and also a smoke particle system and both are right in front of the follow cam. I'll update the player without those 2. Flush the browser cache and give it a try now. It might be a newer Firefox version and the player may have been tested with an earlier version.

15. granada

granada

That seem to have done the trik.

Dave

16. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

OK I have to ask :)

Is there any chance that a follow up package will include the British, French and German tanks of WW1 so that this can be combined with the Aircraft kit to make a fully featured land and air warfare combat simulator.

Hey.. gotta ask sometimes :)

Regards

Graham

17. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Well, Moria... Let's release the starter kit core first then we can update with an addon of sorts. What you're asking ain't much, I just don't have plenty of time now. So the answer, in short, is sure, yes.

18. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Added a new video, playing with terrain deformation:
    --removed low res video - see updated webplayer.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  19. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Have some fun with Unity 3d Tank Kit - and almostlogical.com's Terrain Deformation awesomeness!

Click to play in browser

WASD - forward left back and right;
    Q-E rotate on the spot
    1-3 toggle cameras
    Z - Camera zoom (in cannon cam mode)
    Left Shift - Accelerate

Left Mouse Button Fire main weapon
    RMB - Fire machine gun.

For low res machines - the artillery strike stops after 20 seconds, so don't panic.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  20. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Added new video and webplayer. Artillery strike is now triggered if you enter the little red sphere collider. Added 1 enemy placeholder shooting shells and one with machine gun (applying small amounts of damage).