Search Unity

Games Tank Crawler -WIP - Feedback most welcome.

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by khos, Jun 20, 2021.

1. khos

khos

Hi,

Would like to share some progress on a off road type game I'm busy with, rock crawling but in a tank.
    Quite pleased with the deformable surfaces so far, would welcome any feedback you may have, good, bad or ugly:

alienorbit likes this.
  2. roger0

roger0

When I saw your game I immediately thought of Spintires. Is that what your going for?

Rock climbing in a tank doesn't seem that intriguing. We already know tanks are rugged off road vehicles. Maybe make a game like Spintires and change the setting to Sci fi or fantasy.

Get creative with the concepts. How about a screw driven vehicle?

I see you have a water ripple when it goes in the water. How about apply that effect to the ground? It would be like using a boat except on land. We're getting pretty fantastical though.

Do a tank rock climbing game like originally except make the tanks 5 times larger so they are landships. Then have helicopters land on it.

Just throwing out a few ideas before you establish your setting.

khos likes this.
  3. khos

khos

Thanks for your feedback and ideas, I hope to turn it into a rock crawler type game, but driving tanks, like a off-road style game, over really rough terrain. Spin tires..maybe something like that :) I am not sure I want make a clone of that (the softbody tires on that game are soo cool), or go sci fi/fantacy yet. I do think many games like driving vehicles off-road,
    The screw drive idea is interesting!
    I have floats for amphibious mode, and trailers implemented already, so the plan is to have several mods available, screw drive could be quite cool!
    Turrets to blow things up might be fun, not sure about it yet.

4. roger0

roger0

There's plenty of games where you shoot things, I wouldn't worry about turrets. What about legged vehicles? They would make sense for rock crawling.

Look into obscure vehicle designs. Maybe a steam powered tank where you have to worry about overheating, etc.

khos likes this.
  5. khos

khos

:) attach some legs to the tank/vehicle, YEAH!
    steam powered tank? could add other fuel types: solar powered, electric, diesel.
    Might be a task to implement!

StarSilver22 and roger0 like this.
  6. khos

khos

Did someone say vehicle with legs:

1.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.PNG

alienorbit and Antypodish like this.
  7. roger0

roger0

That's awesome. I can see a cool game developing from this.

Have you looked at existing rock crawling games?
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rock+crawling+games

You could make your game different by adding in more crazy variables, like boulders falling down the mountain. Or an unstable surface that will break apart if you stay there for too long.

Have the player climb an active volcano, or descend from a collapsing mountain. Mudslides, avalanches, etc.

When the play completes missions, they can buy better parts for their truck, or in your case, their mech too.

khos likes this.
  8. khos

khos

Hi, I have released a rock crawler game a looong time ago on Steam (who remembers Unity v4 and earlier?), thanks for your info/feedback, you have some interesting approaches to games, cool!

roger0 likes this.
  9. khos

khos

Would welcome any feedback on this vehicle I have been working on:

10. warthos3399

warthos3399

I like where your going with this Khos, keep going!

Antypodish and khos like this.
  11. khos

khos

Cool Dude, thanks man!

12. roger0

roger0

Its a neat concept. Although at the same time it just looks like an odd looking tractor.

In order to get the most out of it, you might want to give more opportunities in the game for it to contrast itself from normal tracked vehicles. If someone attempts to drive it on pavement, it will start to screech and slow down, possibly damaging itself. At least you don't have to worry about getting a flat tire.

It could perform exceedingly well on soft ground, surpassing all of the other types of vehicles. I cant see this getting stuck in the mud. While struggling on tougher surfaces. Don't even think about rock climbing with this.

The terrain that its driving on will matter way more with this vehicle than any other type of vehicle. I know that means implementing lots of new mechanics. Just something to think about. The strafing ability is a neat plus. It doesn't look like you can turn while doing that though because of how its designed.

Honestly it seems like a more limited version of a hovercraft. But maybe not. Just my thoughts!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    khos likes this.
  13. khos

khos

Hey, all the vehicles/game is still a work in progress :) I'm working on smoothing out controls, making the models better quality/detailed.

I love the idea of a game with unorthodox or unusual vehicles, you have to choose the right one for the job..
    Next in line (of many I have already), is a swamp boat, would welcome your feedback:

Regarding a hovercraft, I am really looking forward to making a skirt that reacts to physics :) like a cloth renderer

14. khos

khos

Happy with hovercraft vehicle so far, skirt deforms to anything (even wind), any feedback is most welcome:

Antypodish likes this.
  15. khos

khos

Working on dynamic grass for my swamp boat vehicle, what do you think?

16. khos

khos

Have I made some indestructible flowers/bullrushes or what!

17. khos

khos

Testing amphibious mode for my Hovercraft (over water and terrain):

kittik likes this.
  18. khos

khos

Testing some balloon tires:

19. khos

khos

Trying out a bike vehicle:

Antypodish likes this.
  20. khos

khos

Have not updated for a while, would welcome feedback on the following vehicle I'm making, a land yacht:

Another unusual one to the list I think :)

21. roger0

roger0

Cool idea. Having to learn the wind patterns to get places might be interesting.

It will look pretty nice once you get more of a terrain going, like sand dunes. Wide open spaces in games are inspiring.

That vehicle looks small and practical enough it could probably exist in real life as novel recreational vehicle. Since your designing a game and can make anything possible, why not make one even bigger, like a bus or a cruise ship.

Keep the smaller one in the game so it will help show how big the other ones are.

khos likes this.
  22. khos

khos

Thanks for your feed back / ideas. Currently I'm looking to try emulate real world vehicles that actually exist, just unusual in my view (like land yachts!). I get your point, make larger ones like a normal school bus, could be interesting to see how that might tackle rock crawling etc.
    I might make a vehicle type that allows players to customise it a bit, like wheel numbers or floats etc.
    Another one I'd like to try make is a vehicle that can make it's own bridge (like tanks can), also adding trailers, or other utils like diggers etc.or more legged ones.
    I'm always open to more ideas if you know of some more crazy ones that someone has created.

roger0 likes this.
  23. khos

khos

Starting work on levels/missions/gameplay mechanic, working on the dessert / open world area:

dd.png 222.png 12.png

roger0 likes this.
  24. khos

khos

Testing a kite driven vehicle - uses wind/physics - what do you think?

25. khos

khos

Added some winches, what do you think:

26. Antypodish

Antypodish

Looks like range of fun concepts.
    I still would love to see walking tank in action :)

It looks like the heavines of vehicles you got quiet right. I like how they show the weight of vehicles on the terrain.

Are you consider multiple winches per vehicle? Could be fun potential use, for some special challanges, where need to use for example to winches, to pull wehicle. Or use one which to anker itself, while use othe which, to pull something else. For example unblock path.

Perhaps you should start making challange, for each type of vehicles you have so far.

khos and alienorbit like this.
  27. CplMulder

CplMulder

@khos ... I saw your link on the KWS forum.... thought I'd check it out... this looks amazing!! something I would play!! Keen to see the updates!!

vertexx and khos like this.
  28. khos

khos

:) Cool, I have not updated this thread for ages but the game has many changes, I might update sometime soon, when I have time / videos sorted etc, thanks for taking a look.

29. khos

khos

Some screenshots: Trailers that can attach/detach: upload_2023-1-20_20-33-53.png

Crane mechanic (still basic):
    upload_2023-1-20_20-57-0.png

Loader bucket:
    upload_2023-1-20_20-58-45.png

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  30. khos

khos

2: destructible stuff and moveable objects, to build eg bridges or deliver goods to point X for points/objectives
    upload_2023-1-20_20-34-18.png

31. khos

khos

3: Winch stuff
    upload_2023-1-20_20-35-27.png

32. khos

khos

4: Any vehicle can use winch/trailer :)

upload_2023-1-20_20-43-41.png

upload_2023-1-20_20-44-6.png

33. khos

khos

Hi there, finally I can share some clip of a walking spider tank playing in some water:

Reasonably happy with how it walks at the moment. It really can go over almost anything, but is slow.

That is a big part of the game play mechanic I am hoping to design, depending on the vehicle type and course selected the difficulty is set and high or lower score given, e.g. a swampboat going over big rocks is not easy (or designed to do) so bigger score is awarded if eg objects are delivered to point X.

Antypodish likes this.
  34. khos

khos

Planning an itch.io page for demo/following, more videos soon I hope.
    Would anyone like to try a demo for some feedback?

35. khos

khos

Keep an eye on the bendy vehicle Aerial, small detail but happy how that turned out:

36. khos

khos

The obstacle course will never be same, always randomly generated, I guess to keep the player guessing:

37. khos

khos

Hovercraft now has a water deforming wake, small detail but I think YES:

38. khos

khos

Those flowers react to vehicle's wind, nice and bendy:

Antypodish likes this.
  39. khos

khos

Vehicle Wind Blows Objects:

StarSilver22 and Antypodish like this.
  40. khos

khos

Testing some stormy weather:

41. khos

khos

Testing a Bridge maker add on , what do you think?

42. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is very nice stuff // pro - demo, could be a fun Mario - kart simulator, if they also had bit guns, glue - landmines, or perhaps also flare - bombs, that bit then blind the other racers . . . .

khos likes this.
  43. khos

khos

Hi, lol, adding weapons etc had not even crossed my mind! Will give it some thought, not sure on it. Maybe multi player though, eventually if ever released and popular...

44. khos

khos

Taking a trailer for a spin:

45. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is amazing stuff, for sure an amazing prototype . . . .

khos likes this.
  46. khos

khos

Adding some rain drops to camera, I think it adds to the rain effect:
    upload_2023-3-14_23-28-13.png

Attached Files:

47. khos

khos

Recording of the rain / screen drop effect, to me I like it:

48. khos

khos

Whoop Whoop, getting it ready on Steam, might take a while to release though:
    upload_2023-4-2_18-41-51.png

Will be free:
    upload_2023-4-2_18-42-54.png

49. khos

khos

What do you think of the name "Odd Wheels"? I like it, would welcome anyone's views.

warthos3399 likes this.
  50. khos

khos

Any feedback on this intro screen would be welcome :

warthos3399 likes this.