Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tangledeep: A charming 16-bit dungeon crawling roguelike. My first game in Unity!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by aaversa, Mar 10, 2018.

1. aaversa

aaversa

Tangledeep is a beautifully-polished dungeon crawler inspired by classic 16-bit RPGs. A true turn-based roguelike, it features a rich job system with hundreds of skills, tons of items, charming characters, and a whole host of monsters to defeat and environments to explore.

... basically, imagine if Square Enix made a roguelike on the SNES after playing the Diablo games, and you'll have an idea of what Tangledeep is all about. :)

The game launched last month on February 1st and for a few days even trended above Final Fantasy 12 in the "Popular New Releases" tab on Steam. So that was cool! It's gone above my expectations and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Launch Trailer

Tangledeep on Steam
    Tangledeep on GOG.com

Background

I started this project back in February 2016 as an exercise in learning Unity, and it soon turned into a full-time passion. I'm the lead programmer and designer of the game, as well as the composer and sound designer, with the excellent pixel art provided by three wonderful artists handling characters/battle FX, environments, and items.

Toward the end of 2017 I was joined by fellow indie dev Jim Shepard who taught me the ways of Unity to begin with, and who quickly became an invaluable programmer on the team. He's currently working on the Switch port of the game!

This project was a tremendous learning experience for me, and Unity made so many things possible from excellent input support (Rewired) to easy groundwork for localization (TextMesh Pro / UGUI) etc. We ended up rolling a lot of stuff by hand such as the audio system, tile mapping, pathfinding, FOV / line of sight etc. - perhaps a bit too much... for future projects I would probably use more premade assets for certain core systems. But still, it's been great, and I'm looking forward to updating and expanding the game further.