Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Talon: a new script debugging tool, and request for bad code

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by chilton, Feb 16, 2018.

1. chilton

chilton

Hi guys!

I'd like your feedback on a massive project I've spent a few years working on.

I've been developing a new way of understanding code. It's almost ready for prime time, so I thought I'd show it off a bit. This can help people of any skill level, understand their code, and solve some problems super fast.

Here's me trying to figure out some old code, and why it isn't working. Yes, it was a stupid problem. But I was able to solve it without actually stepping through the code or using any traditional debugging techniques.

Here's what the same code looks like afterwards, when it's running properly.

So, before it goes into actual 'beta', I am looking for code with bugs in it, or code that compiles but doesn't run like you'd like it to. If you have any of that, please zip it up and shoot it to me in a private message. I can't promise I'll fix your bug, but I'd like to see if the Talon system gets tripped up by it, and *maybe* if I can figure out the bug without actually testing it.

Thank you!
    -Chilton

mgear and Inter-Illusion like this.
  2. methos5k

methos5k

I don't have any code for you, but I just wanted to leave a message saying that's a pretty fantastic project that you've put together there - congrats :)

3. chilton

chilton

Thank you! It's been a huge help already. Can't wait to get it out into the wild.

4. Suddoha

Suddoha

Looks like an ambitious project, much respect for that.

It kinda reminds me of visual scripting tools though, which often come built-in with some sort of "realtime"-visualization of the code execution paths. For instance, Unreal's blueprint-scripting or some sophisticated ones for Unity. Not sure if these offer the feature to record execution to debug it afterwards. I must admit I couldn't watch the complete videos and couldn't use sound, perhaps I've just missed something.

Anyway, keep up the great work. ;)

5. chilton

chilton

Oh yeah, there's a world of difference. The only similarity is that they're also using visual diagrams. I will be adding a UE4 parser soon, so it can help with Unreal games as well.

I'm not trying to knock the other tools, we're just doing wildly different things. This is more for diagnosing and finding things, and not at all for initial design.

I'll make a video that shows what I mean in more detail soon.

-Chilton

6. arfish

arfish

So, the markers in the code writes to a log file, which can be visualized graphically?
    I think this looks like you have made a really nice tool.

A suggestion for further development would be a tool to add the markers automatically to the code for each call, statement, and loops and so on. Perhaps stopping there and let the developer add markers manually for tracking variables.

I don´t have any bad code at the moment either (fingers crossed)…

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018