Search Unity

Talk Bubbles with the new GUI system

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by manuelflara, Nov 27, 2007.

1. manuelflara

manuelflara

Hi all,

For my current project I need some talk bubbles appearing on the screen so I thought I would give the new system a try. At first I thought I would need to create 9 boxes -one for each "sector" of the TalkBubble imge, which let's say it is tileable in its sides and center, but its borders have to stay.

However, to my surprise I was able to get pretty far with a single box. Word wrap, image borders and I'm quite close! Look at the attached picture. As you can see I still have some weirdness going on on the tiling parts of the image. Do you know if there's any way I could fix this so I could use a single GUI.Box call to render my Talk Bubbles?

Best regards :)

Attached Files:

2. shaun

shaun

It looks like you just need to tweak the Border setting for the GUISkin.Box element. You may want to move the protruding arrow to the right a bit more to capture it in the non-tiling area - otherwise the minimum size of your speech bubbles will be limited.

If you have ExecuteInEditMode enabled, you can see the changes as you enter then + if you put a GUILayout.TextArea in the bubble, you can type to see how it resizes ;)

Hope this helps.
    Shaun

3. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Also, try turning mipmapping off for your speech bubble texture. If you have a large speech bubble image, mipmapping can cause a lower level mip to be picked when the sides get scaled down.

4. manuelflara

manuelflara

Turning mipmapping off did it, thanks!

5. podperson

podperson

My problem is I'd prefer to have the little pointer part of the speech balloon near the middle of the top/bottom ... which isn't quite so doable.

6. shaun

shaun

You could do that with a compound control tha centers a new GUI element (the arrow) at the bottom of the speech bubble.
    I use a similar technique for creating the size controls (X [] _ ) in the top right of my windows.
    Just avoid semi-transparency (apart from the edges), since you want to overlay the arrow to line up with the bubbles edges.