Search Unity

Tales of Auria - a new kind of mmorpg

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by davvilla, Aug 14, 2012.

1. davvilla

davvilla

Hi everyone!

This is the project which I've been doing with Unity.

We are trying to create a new kind of mmorpg rather than what we’re used to. We've spent a few years "doing research" on Tibia, Ragnarok, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and The Legend of Zelda. So you will surely notice a resemblance and (what we consider) are the best elements from these games that we deeply enjoyed. We are open to any ideas that you might have and are willing to share, since in the end, we want to create a kick-ass mmorpg for everyone to savor.

My intention is to keep the post alive and constantly update it with our newest work.

Enter Tales of Auria.

Puzzles. Imagine playing any of the previously mentioned games or any mmorpg, and walking (a very long walk) to get to another area of the game-world, or to complete a quest, get to a dungeon, etc. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a less boring walk, and during the long walk you could enjoy yourself? We believe that we could fix this with puzzles comprised of moving platforms, hidden levers, locked doors, mazes, etc. Some puzzles will require timing, positioning, skill and teamwork.
    NOTE: The battle in this video does not represent what fighting will be like in the game. The battle system isn't finished yet and isn't showed here.

Music. From fluttering flutes to war-inducing drums, these rhythms and melodies will invade your brain. Think Ocarina of Time.
    Music!
    More Music!

Interactive terrain. The world of Auria will stay as real and as natural as possible. We’ll have ledge hanging, cliff jumping, you’ll be able to push/pull objects, break objects, etc.

Non-instanced world. We believe that online games are meant to be played with other people. For us, instances threaten this idea, so we've decided to create a world where others can get in your way, push you around, and become an obstacle if they intend to; of course you won't let that happen, because you'll make his head roll. In our game, you'll be someone and not just a ghost.

Bosses. We want to bring back our fond memories from The Legend of Zelda with bosses that have their own unique fighting system. So bosses in our game won't just be a bigger monster with bigger stats, he'll have a unique way of fighting that you'll have to decipher in order to beat him.

Battle system. We intend to bring a console-like battle system. More of a hack-and-slash than just plain old hotkeys. It will not only require being the most powerful player, but also developing skill. What you see in the videos is not a representation of what will be the battle system.

Free-to-play. We love free games, so our game will be an amazing free-to-play game. However, we need to earn a living and you could help us out (in the near future) by buying vanity items, different sound packs or anything along those lines, but never pay to win.

Evolution. In Tales of Auria leveling does not only mean getting stronger and tougher; it also means growing up (sort of like Pokemon). Every playable race in our game will start off as a child and grow up to its final evolution stage, with the ability of customizing your character along the way.
    Arborian in 1st and 2nd evolution

Races. Maybe you’re tired of having just two legs. Maybe you wish you had a little more muscle tone. Maybe you’re a bit of a tree-hugger. Perhaps pointy ears turn you on. Maybe you wish you were a fluffy little killing machine. Maybe all you want is to transform into something you will never find outside this screen and lose yourself for a moment. We’ve got you covered.

Arborian Sprout

Gu'la

Alushe

More coming soon..

We are also including all the goodies of common mmorpgs. Different factions, different vocations, character customization, PvP, customizable builds, epic quests and much more.

Tales of Auria is being designed from the ground up with multi-platform in mind. We’ll support PC, Mac, iOS and Android. So everyone gets to play from their favorite platform in the same world of Auria.

We would love to get your feedback, comments, ideas, suggestions, anything. Please step in. Help us create the mmorpg of your dreams.

Please note that all footage, music, art, etc. is in pre-alpha stage (nothing is absolutely final). Also note all videos are actual gameplay!

This is how we work
    NOTE: The battle in this video does not represent what fighting will be like in the game. The battle system isn't finished yet and isn't showed here.

I'd love to give you guys a demo but we're not quite there yet. Stay tuned though!

If you'd like to support us give us a like on facebook.

Edit August 22nd

Moar music!! Awakening on Soundcloud

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ

Looking really neat! Well done - can't wait to see future developments :)

3. oleomingus

oleomingus

Thank you for sharing your game with the community, it looks very interesting,
    especially the music. Will be keeping track of further progress.

4. Mauri

Mauri

I love the art style. Cool Video though! Can't wait to see more :)

5. davvilla

davvilla

Thanks a lot guys, we'll be uploading a new video very soon ;) stay tuned!

6. The Ghost

The Ghost

This seems to have a lot of potential looking forward to updates. Really like the evolution aspect, I allays love looking cooler in games. How many people are working on this?

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

You said a new kind of MMO and then you went on to say you took lots of stuff from existing MMO's?

8. Khyrid

Khyrid

Having some new features doesn't mean having no old ones.

9. davvilla

davvilla

Thanks a lot, we'll keep this post updated ;)
    It's 6 team members and growing

Exactly! We inspired a lot from other games, but not all of them were MMOs like LoZ: Ocarina of Time and Pokemon.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  10. davvilla

davvilla

11. roger0

roger0

Looks great so far. However, I'm concerned about your revenue model. It sounds like the only thing people will be able to buy are for appearance and looks. Which may not be the greatest motivator. Perhaps they could also buy different types of gear that are tradeoffs from what they have.

12. Mawz

Mawz

imo the response to your statement is to look at League of Legends they seem to sell character skins just fine

13. Shastafication

Shastafication

Looks really cool. There could be improvements on the battle system.

14. roger0

roger0

Another idea apart from the cosmetic things is to have upgrades or items people can buy. And then have ''veterancy" items people will only be able to obtain with points earned in game. Balancing the two out.

15. Mander

Mander

i just felt something wrong, it feels like you dont hit anything without a good hitting sound

16. davvilla

davvilla

As Maws said, games like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth have this model and it works our great for them! They also have things like unlocking certain characters faster if you pay but always things that you can do if you play long enough. We think this model is great, although it has to be adapted towards an MMO environment. As an example, and this just came to my head players could pay for early access to a new continent (even help us 'beta test' it). After some time the continent would be opened up for everyone.

Thank you both for your replies :)

We've heard this a lot, and it's our fault for not mentioning that the battles you see in the game we're just to show that there will be battles. However the battle system isn't finished yet. It's going to be a hack n slash type of system with spells and what not. I'm updating the post to emphasize that point as it has been confusing a lot of people.

Thanks for pointing that out! Sometimes we don't realize that lacked explanation it certain parts of the description.

That could work! The only thing we're trying to avoid is making these items you can buy more powerful than the others. I like the idea of veterancy items. Items that are very rare, or very hard to obtain and having them can even give you status.

Thanks for both your inputs :)

17. davvilla

davvilla

The battles we show are just to demonstrate that there will be battles. The battle system isn't finished yet so we're not showcasing it. Battles will be filled with good sound, spells and all the good stuff an mmo has ;)

Gracias!

18. maxmythic

maxmythic

I agree with Mander and I am sure you will add hitting sounds when player attacks. Also the character getting hit must react to the blow.Ideally different reactions to different blows. A bit more complex but so much more interesting. More users will stay with the game if you have these details.

19. Venged

Venged

It is very retro-original. I love it. The music is great with it as well.