Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tales of a VR story on Samsung Gear

Discussion in 'VR' started by GilG, Dec 31, 2019.

1. GilG

GilG

Hello,

I m currently doing lots of tests to see what is the best solution / parameters to start a Gear VR project on a Samsung Galaxy S7. I use all the oculus config / setup has this is mandatory.

The goal is to have the smoothest experience to start with and I'm only using the template scene of Unity (when using a render pipeline) or just a scene with a sphere, a cube and a plane.

I have tested these setups so far :
    2019.2 LWRP
    Almost the smoothest.
    But I wasn't able to add an antialiasing and I had some ghosting effect with an eye not perfectly synced with the other one.

2019.3 URP
    The better looking.
    Antialisaing was good but I wasn't sure if it was MSAA or FXAA that was enabled (in the camera MSAA doesn't appear).
    But the syncing was all over the place like if I was dropping a lot of frames.

2019.3 NO RP
    The smoothest with antialiasing working.
    Finally a working scene that we can start with.

I tried to watch a lot of videos and read a lot of tutorials about best practices but they never talk about which rendering pipeline they use. I only found some post in the forum talking about it and saying that maybe URP & LWRP are not fit for VR.

One difficult thing is also that I don't have yet a script displaying the fps that is compatible with VR. I have found some but didn't test it yet.

I would like to know if everybody have had the same experience with Unity's rendering pipeline.
    I'm able to pack the projects if someone would like tro try them as they are quite empty.

I also feel like not using a rendering pipeline is also saying no to a lot of feature (like shader graph, vfx graph and so on...) and I kinda stress a bit about it. I would have prefeard to be able to fix the builds so they run smoothly.

What are your thoughts about it ?