Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Take Microsoft's Unity Game Developer Challenge

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by aliceingameland, Nov 1, 2016.

1. hamdouch118

hamdouch118

i submit but i have a question if i'm one of the first 25 person who submit their game !
    how i will win $5,000 Cash Prize !

the Performance Period (March 1st – April 30th, 2017)
    okay what about the download that i will gets before this periode :p !

2. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Official Microsoft Employee

Thank you for your support and porting your games to Windows Store. Continue to look for new contests with Unity and Microsoft.

3. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

All early submission winners will be contacted individual and will also be announced publicly at the end of the Challenge.
    The Performance Period is not just based on downloads, but leading up to and during this time would be a good opportunity to market your app.

4. DawidMoza

DawidMoza

So maybe it wasn't a good idea to stop making Android games, so now I don't have any game with 10k downloads :/

5. hamdouch118

hamdouch118

why they didn't reply !
    i submited my game at 28 nov !

6. zugsoft

zugsoft

You received no reply from Microsoft for the step1?

7. axcs

axcs

I've always been faithful to making exclusive games for Windows Store, and I've never gained anything from it, or unity/Microsoft help or challenges, there have never been contests or incentives. Now I can not even F*** this Challenge because I do not even have games on other platforms.

Who has made games for the Windows Store for some time does not earn anything? They make people give up the platform for later when they devote themselves only to Dev for Android and IOS, and in the end call them back with these challenges ...sad thing.

MrEsquire likes this.
  8. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Please DM me the email that you submitted under and I can look into this. Also, I would check your spam folder to make sure the email isn't in there.

9. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

Well, up until a few months ago, AdMob for Windows Phone 8 apps would be a great investment. I have been doing that for a living for 3 years. Now that they shut down Admob for Windows, I started making some of my games paid, and new games to UWP. I have yet to see any income through UWP, but I still earn a little bit from paid games.

Also, about 2-3 years ago, Unity and Microsoft had a challenge similar to this one and was paying much more.

10. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

When are you going to start contacting early entry winners?

11. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

We will start notifying the early entries beginning in 2017.

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Guys does anyone know how to solve this problem
    Exception: Failed to build Visual Studio project using arguments 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe "C:\Users\aiurs\Desktop\BattleCars\Battle Cars.sln" /nologo /maxcpucount /p:Configuration=Master /p:platform=x86 /p:SolutionDir="C:\\Users\\aiurs\\Desktop\\BattleCars\\" /t:Build /clp:Verbosity=minimal'.
    Output:C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2049,5): error MSB3774: Could not find SDK "Microsoft.VCLibs, Version=14.0". [C:\Users\aiurs\Desktop\BattleCars\Battle Cars\Battle Cars.csproj]
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2049,5): error MSB3774: Could not find SDK "WindowsMobile, Version=10.0.14393.0". [C:\Users\aiurs\Desktop\BattleCars\Battle Cars\Battle Cars.csproj]

ApplicationLauncherImpl.RunMSBuild (System.String args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ApplicationLauncher.cs:366)
    ApplicationLauncherImpl.Build () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ApplicationLauncher.cs:220)
    ApplicationLauncher.BuildAndRunOnSingle (BuildLaunchPlayerArgs args, WSASDK wsaSDK, WSABuildAndRunDeployTarget deployTarget) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ApplicationLauncher.cs:60)
    ApplicationLauncher.BuildAndRun (BuildLaunchPlayerArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ApplicationLauncher.cs:50)
    UnityEditor.WSA.BuildPostprocessor.LaunchPlayer (BuildLaunchPlayerArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:122)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Launch (BuildTarget target, System.String path, System.String productName, BuildOptions options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:151)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Exception: Failed to build Visual Studio project using arguments 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe "C:\Users\aiurs\Desktop\BattleCars\Battle Cars.sln" /nologo /maxcpucount /p:Configuration=Master /p:platform=x86 /p:SolutionDir="C:\\Users\\aiurs\\Desktop\\BattleCars\\" /t:Build /clp:Verbosity=minimal'.
    Output:C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2049,5): error MSB3774: Could not find SDK "Microsoft.VCLibs, Version=14.0". [C:\Users\aiurs\Desktop\BattleCars\Battle Cars\Battle Cars.csproj]
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2049,5): error MSB3774: Could not find SDK "WindowsMobile, Version=10.0.14393.0". [C:\Users\aiurs\Desktop\BattleCars\Battle Cars\Battle Cars.csproj]

13. zugsoft

zugsoft

It's clear : Could not find SDK "WindowsMobile"
    Do you compile Universal with WP8 , or Universal with WP10 ?

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I was compling with universal 10 and not choosing mobile

15. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

What version of Unity are you using? Do you have the latest version of Windows 10 SDK installed?

16. blazeminer

blazeminer

YO IM SO GONNA TRY HOMIE

17. ashishkushwaha

ashishkushwaha

this challenge is not for mobile vr game :(

18. MobizITS

MobizITS

Which ad network best perform for windows app now ? Now I've submited step2 already hope I am one of first 25 developers

19. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

Vungle works best for me right now. I don't think there are any others though, other than Microsoft Ads.

20. khos

khos

I am through to step 2 on my three entries, Nice :) !, one of the games I am porting uses Unity 4.6 (I know, crazy right!), can I use that version when submitting my game to Windows Store? Or must it be Unity 5.x ? If I recall correctly when Unity 5 was first released hingeJoint.motor.force I discovered there was a regression on this which prevented me from goingto 5.x, but now I see it might be back.. I'll try to upgrade my project to 5.5 but can someone confirm if I must submit games made with the latest release of Unity or can 4/6 be used?
    Thanks.

21. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

It's been almost 3 months. Wish they would start contacting the early winners already.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  22. khos

khos

Not sure if this helps:
    Timeline
    Entry Period: Nov 1st, 2016 – Feb 28th, 2017

Performance Period: March 1st – April 30th, 2017

Winners Announced: On or around May 15th, 2017

23. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

Announcement != contacting the winners

At the FAQ of the same site you quoted, they say that they will contact the winners earlier than the public announcement. A Microsoft Employee also said in this post that they will start contacting the early winners early 2017.

24. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Per the Terms and Conditions, You will need to create or port a native Universal Windows Platform (UWP) game using Unity 5.2 or later (http://unity3d.com/download) and Visual Studio 2015 (https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads) that is targeting Windows 10 desktop.

https://unity3d.com/de/partners/microsoft/challenge/terms-and-conditions

25. vvelasco

vvelasco

Hi.
    I'm one of the developers of KLAUS for PS4.
    This is our Accolades trailer

We currently have a 76 score in Metacritic
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/klaus

We're currently working in the steam port but it'll not be ready till March. Can we participate in the contest even if it's a PS4 game?

Best!

26. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Thank you for your interest in the Challenge. Here are the initial requirements to enter the Challenge.

Step 1 Requirements
    • The app is in the Steam, Google Play (Android) or Apple App Store (iOS) and is using the Unity engine.
    • The app must have over 10,000 total downloads in one of the stores.

27. zugsoft

zugsoft

Hello,
    Did you contact the first 25 developers?

28. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Any information regarding the winners will be announced on or around May 15th, 2017

29. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

He's not asking for an announcement though. He's (and I do too) asking if you have started or when will you start contacting the early entry winners.

30. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Per the Terms and Conditions listed here: https://unity3d.com/ru/partners/microsoft/challenge/terms-and-conditions

If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending an email to the email address listed within your Windows Developer account within seven (7) days following completion of judging.

31. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

I though being "Early 25 entry winner" has nothing to do with performance or judging, no?

32. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

You are correct, the early entry winners have nothing to do with performance. That sentence provided above is out of the section for "Prizes" under the Terms, meaning that "all" winners will be notified following the completion of the judging. I would suggest reviewing the Terms as a whole for more details and context or posting here or sending us an email if you have an other questions.

33. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

I have read the entire Terms when I first entered the challenge. What I wanted to know was the only thing that is not clearly stated in the terms which is the date when "all" winners will be notified.

I still don't have a clear answer but I will assume it won't be earlier than april or even may.

34. belkalab

belkalab

Hi there! What happens if I've gone through the first step successfully but now I don't want to go on with step 2?

35. pako

pako

Can I make any changes to the game after I have completed step 2 ? In the "Terms and Conditions" it specifies that the game you submit to step 2 "...must be the same game you submitted to receive acceptance into the Contest", and that "Small tweaks are acceptable as long as it does not materially change the game concept or deviate substantially from what was originally submitted".

But what about after step 2 ? Is it still applicable, so that "if the changes do not materially change the game concept or deviate substantially from what was submitted in step 2" the Terms and Conditions are not violated?

More specifically, I want to make the following changes:

1. Change the current Ad Unit with a new Ad Unit of the same type, since Microsoft Support advised me to do so, as there are some technical problems with the current Ad Unit.
    2. Change the Game and Store Icons
    3. Make minor aesthetic tweaks e.g. make the collectible in-game coins rotate, rather than be static.
    4. Add Leaderboard and Achievements
    5. Tweaks regarding frequency of enemy appearance
    6. Price changes in IAP
    7. Performance enhancements i.e. increase FPS. The game already performs at above 1,000 FPS, but there's room for improvement.
    8. Bug fixes (possibility)

Please let me know which of the above I can perform without violating the Terms and Conditions.

36. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@ChrisAsleson

Game is up and step 2 also submitted. But may I add UWP 8.1 package or it has to be UWP 10 only to qualify? I couldn't be sure because of the wording here:

"Create or port a native Universal Windows Platform (UWP) game using Unity 5.2 or later (http://unity3d.com/download) and Visual Studio 2015 (https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads) that is targeting Windows 10 desktop."

37. Pawl

Pawl

38. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

39. pako

pako

Hi @PixelEnvision I have contacted Unity support about this, since my question hasn't been answered for 10 days. I got a response yesterday that they are looking into the matter and will resolve the problem "within the next few working days". So, I guess we have to be a little more patient.

40. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@pako Thanks for the update :)

41. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi Pako, do you know who in Unity support is helping you? I want to make sure they work quickly to help you. Thanks!

42. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Sorry for the delay, my notifications seem to not be working. If you do not want to submit to Step 2, you are not required too.

43. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

Sorry for the delay, my notifications seem to not be working. I'll review with our team internal and get back to you shortly.

44. pako

pako

Hi Jo-Ryall, Oscar Pett at Unity is trying to help, but not with much success I might add. I received the following response from him today:

Sorry for the delay on the thread. I have spoken to our community team and they have told me that if anybody has any questions I should direct them to the thread you sent me. Then a Microsoft representative will answer them. Since I have prompted them for an update, hopefully they will get back to you this week. Please let me know if the problem persists.

UNQUOTE

I already replied to him that the community team's response does not answer the problem of not providing support in this thread, but it answers the problem "where can I find support for the challenge", which is not really the problem.

I also pointed out to him that I have concluded that there's really no support for this challenge, and that the time frame he quotes is too much (wait 1 more week to hopefully get some help?).

Other than that, I tried finding Chris Asleson who has responded above on behalf of Microsoft. A Google search resulted in Chris Asleson, who is a member of a consulting team:

http://www.2a.consulting/team/#

...and according to his LinkedIn profile he is currently a consultant to Microsoft:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisasleson/

Earlier today I sent an email to the consulting firm hoping to get a positive response.

I don't know what else to do. The performance phase of the challenge is under way, and I really need to post an update to my game, which hasn't anything to do with gameplay, but I need a confirmation that it's OK for me to do so.

Please help!

45. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi Pako,

Chris Aseleson is a contractor at Microsoft and he has been working with me closely on this contest. I'll ask Chris to see if we can get a Microsoft developer or evangelist to help you today.

46. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

I've also raised this issue to a Director at Microsoft to get you help asap

47. pako

pako

Thank you!!! As a reminder, all my questions are in my post dated Feb 21 above.

48. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

@pako My apologizes for the delay. I've had some issues with my account on the forum. The updates you have requested to make will be fine.

49. ChrisAsleson

ChrisAsleson

As long as you have a UWP you can also have a Win 8.1 package as well – it isn’t exclusive to Win 10 but it has to have a UWP version.

PixelEnvision likes this.
  50. pako

pako

Thanks Chris!!!