Search Unity

Take control of when CinemachineBrain updates camera positions.

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Lipoly, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Lipoly

Lipoly

Is there any way to take control over exactly when the CinemachineBrain updates its camera's position? A method like brain.UpdateCamera() which I call after everything is positioned properly for that frame. The current options for Late/Fixed/SmartUpdate are not sufficient for me.

The reasoning is that I have UI elements which represent world-position objects, and they therefore need to update based on the camera's position. Without the ability to dictate when the camera updates (and can therefore be certain of its final frame-position) I occasionally end up using stale data and an element may appear "one frame behind." This issue is exacerbated b/c the game supports very high time-compression, so one frame worth of camera movement might be quite large and cause UI elements to jitter around and not be precisely positioned.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Cinemachine updates the individual vcams according to the Brain's Update Method, but the actual Camera's transform is always set by CinemachineBrain in LateUpdate. CinemachineBrain has a script execution order setting of +100. If you have another script that depends on the Camera's position, you can set its script execution order to something >100 and use LateUpdate.

3. churi24

churi24

Can I set the order of Cinemachine brain in 10500 ?.
    I ask this question because I am using an asset called Final IK and this asset modifies the transform giving to Cinemachine a wrong position.
    I set up Cinemachinebrain in excecution order 10500 and I do not see that it breaks anything. I didn't have time to investigate whether it affects or not, that's why I prefer to ask :p

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can set the execution order to what you want. It won't break anything, so long as it's happening when it needs to.

churi24 likes this.
  5. mariusgeorge

mariusgeorge