Search Unity

Tail Animator - Procedural tail animation for tentacles, simple capes, squids and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FimpossibleCreations, Jul 18, 2018.

1. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

I will check this week if I can quickly implement IK parameter for stretching to reach target point.
    Right now the IK algorithm is not supporting it.

Have you set the curve for the parital blending?
    I also recommend trying the curves for parameters like "Slithery", "Tangling" (the button on the right to the field enables curve)
    Left side is parameter multiplier value for first bones and right side for the end bones, so each single bone segment can be animated with different parameters in order to get more customized motion.

You can also try lowering "Motion influence" to calm down tail motion when fish moves in the world space.

I think tail animator will be enough, you just need to do some tweaks.

2. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Alright, I managed to create quick solution for it.
    It's just early version, I will probably implement uniform stretching for all segments in the future (right now most of the stretch is performed on the first segment)
    upload_2023-3-22_16-50-43.gif

Ready on the asset store to update and import to the project.

chelnok likes this.
  3. FcsVorfeed

FcsVorfeed

QQ截图20230422021935.png
    why myevery last bone is blue? and I found that the final skeleton doesn't flit

4. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

It's helper virtual bone, in case hierarchy don't have the last "Leaf" bone.
    It's helping keeping right motion for the last bone in the chain.

5. lxsw-bj-rh-003

lxsw-bj-rh-003

upload_2023-5-18_15-53-16.png

Hello !
    I set the frame rate of Tail to 30 FPS, while my game's frame rate is 60 FPS. When Tail moves quickly, it shakes crazily even though I have checked "Interpolate Rate".

6. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Can you send me repro scene or prefab file with your setup of tail animator?
    It may be caused by some specific settings, I can't reproduce this issue on my side.

7. lxsw-bj-rh-003

lxsw-bj-rh-003

upload_2023-5-18_18-16-38.png
    upload_2023-5-18_18-16-46.png
    upload_2023-5-18_18-17-1.png

I fixed the issue by adding a call to this method in "TailAnimator.Logic.UpdateStacks.cs".

8. nubdev

nubdev

Just got tail animator after being very happy with spine animator, legs animator, look ik, grounder etc. I do have a problem with installs however. Just unpacked it into an existing project and its throwing up a lot of errors about missing definitions. This happened when I first installed the other projects but fixed itself after deleting everything and importing it all again. The difference here is that I have already integrated spine and legs animator into a lot of content and am weary of deleting it all to reimport. Is there a way or reason why this is happening?

Update - I seem to have been able to fix it by reimporting spine animator

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  9. Maisey

Maisey

Thanks for a nice asset @FimpossibleCreations !

A question. If I create a tail, if I want it to stretch to/continuously follow a target object? I mean like this:

Base of tail is attached to object Monster A and want the tail to continuously "follow"/move towards the target Enemy B (like there is a rope between the two). How would I accomplish this?

EDIT: Basically what you do in your IK video above, but I want the tail to follow target without "delay" it should be snappy. It almost work if I set the FPS to 120 on the tail, but unsure how this will affect performance and I still needs to "manually" adjust Length Multiplier based on distance to the target.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  10. FimpossibleCreations

FimpossibleCreations

Hello and thank you.

Unfortunately, there always will be slight delay in order to create smooth motion.
    To speed it up, you can make tail animator's settings to be stiff and quick (screenshot)

upload_2024-2-17_23-50-51.png

You can also try adding extra iterations for the IK solver's stretching calculations, but I am not entirely sure its result, you probably will need to also adjust IK Reaction Quality value too.
    So to add extra iterations for stretching, you can enter "FIK_CCDProcessor.cs" file,
    line 176
    and add for example

for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) // Doing 4 iterations
    {
    everything which is inside the if (StretchToTarget > 0f) {} braces
    }

11. Maisey

Maisey

Thanks I'll try this out!