Search Unity

tags on this forum?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Kyrieru, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Kyrieru

Kyrieru

When I make posts, it doesn't let me write new tags, but it also only gives me useless general tags like "performance". How does the tag system on this forum work? I don't know what existing tags are because non of them are ever suggested.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just ignore the tags. Very few people use or pay any attention to them. That said to answer your question to my knowledge you can only select from existing tags. You can't create your own.

Joe-Censored and Kyrieru like this.
  3. Mauri

Mauri

You should see available tags in other sub forums - e.g. Editor & General Support has these ones:

editorsupportarea.png

It just so happens that the 'Getting Started' sub forum doesn't have any tags...

But then again: they aren't really necessary. Simply make sure that you pick a good thread title (one that actually describes your problem) and provide as much detailed information as possible.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

"feedback" is the most useful tag, as it is currently intended for giving suggestions to Unity since the official feedback voting site was taken down. Most of the others are just annoyances though, as what you usually see is one of two scenarios:

1) New forum user puts EVERY tag on their thread, in an obnoxious effort to bring more attention to their issue, but really they are just irritating the people who's help they are requesting - a poor strategy to get actual help, often accompanied by a meaningless poll question as well
    2) Incorrect tags where the poster just innocently misunderstands the meaning of the tag - you see this one with "unityscript" constantly for example

But really, just put your topic in the tread title instead of bothering with the tags (outside of the feedback tag), and post your question or topic in the correct subforum.