Search Unity

Tag requests

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by SaraCecilia, Feb 10, 2017.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Tags will be visible on the threads they belong to, as well as from the list of threads on each forum. If clicked on, you will navigate to a list of threads that all contain the same tag. Tags can also be subscribed to so you can receive notifications on when new threads containing that tag are created.

We are currently populating the list of tags available for use, so please make your requests in this thread.
    Tags are specific for the forum they are used in.

Here are our current list of tags.

(Edited by Hippocoder)
    An updated list of tags can be viewed here: https://forum.unity.com/tags

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Socrates

Socrates

For the Teaching forum there are several tags I would suggest.

"Video Course", and "Written Course", or maybe just "Video" and "Written", as that would help people who strongly prefer one type of learning over another.

"Basic", "Intermediate", and "Advanced" for marking the level of the teaching being offered.

Depending on how many tags you're looking to add, putting in tags for the type of topic might be helpful. Things such as "2D Art", "3D Art", "Animation", "C#", "Lighting", "Shaders". Though this may be something too specific that would be better covered in the titles of the threads.

When looking at the General Discussion and/or Game Design forums, these are some of the ways I tend to classify web pages and other resources I have saved for future review. These are the kinds of boxes I would tend to put Unity threads into as I was creating them or reading them.

"Advertising", "AI", "Business", "F2P", "International", "Kickstarter", "Legal", "Level Design", "Marketing", "MMO", "Mobile", "Monetization", "Multiplayer", "Polish", "Testing".

As an example, there was a recent thread discussing the Red Cross and how they had asked that their symbol be removed from video games. To me, that would be under "Legal" and perhaps "Business".

SaraCecilia likes this.
  3. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Thanks for the suggested tags! I will add some of these and create a thread listing all the tags we have added so far.

4. Baste

Baste

"UnityScript" and "C#" would be nice for the scripting subforums.

Common topics would also be nice. Like "Optimization", "Script errors", "Script help" etc.

Socrates, Ryiah and SaraCecilia like this.
  5. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Work In Progress or WIP

6. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

We have a forum for this purpose, check it out here.

7. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Oh for sure, but if you look at the forum, the WIP tag has organically made its way into the use of that forum with people putting [WIP] before the name of their post. Others, when it becomes a finished piece of work, will put [Released]. My suggestion was just to make it official.

8. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Ah, right, now I see what you mean. Ideally users would move their released versions into the Made with Unity forum or the Asset Store forum. I'll have to think a bit about adding the tags.

9. zoran404

zoran404

Would you mind adding tags for the commercial sub-forums, like programmer, 2d/3d artist, concept artist, animator, sound fx, music composer, voice actor

SaraCecilia and Socrates like this.
  10. murkantilism

murkantilism

I think several tags for Editor/General (specifically re: editor scripting) would be useful:

- isDirty
    - Record
    - PrefabUtility
    - Prefab
    - Instantiate

Would be useful for my post here and others like it.

11. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Added to the Extensions forum.

murkantilism likes this.
  12. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi Sara! In Asset Store forum, I'm missing the following tags:
    • Editor Extensions
    • Productivity

SaraCecilia likes this.
  13. andyz

andyz

So are these tags very much still work in progress?
    Because you can manually enter tags but almost none will be accepted so you might as well just use the buttons to add tags - but there are very few tags...

14. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Yeah, we're still adding them to the list. Which tags were you trying to add and to which forum(s)? I can create these.

15. andyz

andyz

Well in forums like Editor and General Support, Graphics and in scripting forums there are many things you might tag a post with like:
    Graphics, Shader, Rendering, Mesh, Lighting, Shadow, 2D, 3D, Debugging, MonoDevelop, Visual Studio, Sound, Bugs, Standalone, Mobile, iOS, Android, Windows, Mac...

The list could get very large

16. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I'll add some of these in the appropriate forums, but for platform-specific tags, does it not make more sense for those threads to be posted in their respective forum? Android for example has its own forum. Same with Graphics and Shaders. I can of course still add these, just curious as to what would make most sense.

17. andyz

andyz

ok thanks.
    Depends how people use the forums for platforms. I mean which forum do people use when there is a choice?
    It's confusing if you have a techy graphics issue say on mobile devices - do you post under graphics or post on android and iOS forums?

18. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

That's true, in my case I would post in a graphics forum if it's graphics-related, but others may go directly to one of the mobile forums. Hmmm.... will give this another thought but you have a point!

19. Baste

Baste

Note: I see that a lot of people are marking threads with "UnityScript" when their code is C#.

This is probably because they don't know what UnityScript really is, since the user-facing parts of Unity is still lying and calling the language "JavaScript".

I'm note sure if there's a solution, maybe someone has a good idea?

20. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Dang, maybe renaming it to JavaScript may be the best solution here since that's how we've referred to it all along...

21. andyz

andyz

Why does the forum system need all the tags defined instead of allowing any tags and then showing the most-used as quick choices (with moderation)?

22. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

We had this system in Answers for a few years and the tags were a mess. Took me a while to clean up, delete, merge, etc (and I'm still not done as there are so many.) This is just a way to keep things contained.

23. Baste

Baste

Well, you seem to have internally switched the naming scheme. See eg. here, where the first mention of scripting in the manual uses "UnityScript". It'd be nice if Unity at some point did a proper find-and-replace for the name "JavaScript", and also probably did a rename of the .js file-ending to .us.

Anyways, how much can you do with the forum software? Some kind of tag categorization could make this more obvious:

Untitled.png

24. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Not possible out of the box, but I'll see what we can do.

25. JanDawid

JanDawid

"LOD", "Tree" (or "Tree Creator"), "Terrain"