Search Unity

Tactics Style RPG: Help & Suggestions

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by PapaQuackers, Feb 24, 2018.

1. PapaQuackers

PapaQuackers

Hello Everyone,

I'm relatively new to game Development, I've taken a few courses in C# and read some textbooks and been generally messing around with Unity for a few months.

That being said, I'm trying my hand at making something in the same vein as Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. That grid based top-down isometric RPG style.

I've found some tutorials, but for the most part they seem to be out dated and deprecated. The one I was going off got as far as getting through map generation and unit movement (and it was a little confusing to say the least).

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of further tutorials in this vein or resources I can use.

So far I'll still need to implement some other things:

1. Some kind of Dynamic UI system that can adapt to some information input.
    2. Combat System (Though I think I have a decent idea on where to go with this from what I've learned so far)
    3. A job system (completely lose here, to be honest)
    4. Item and equipment menu
    5. Enemy AI

Can anyone help me out?

upload_2018-2-24_18-22-14.png

Attached Files:

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Your questions are less about design and more about implementation so - really isn't related to this thread. However -
    1. Consider breaking down your list into smaller understandable tasks. So for UI first make one interactable button, then make the button change based on a condition. Then extend.
    4. This is vague and needs more explanation - and probably isn't aligned with the design forum.
    5. Nav mesh & assets from the store. Personal preference Behavior Designer.

3. Devastadus

Devastadus

4. Doug_B

Doug_B

Hi PapaQuackers,

So the game style you are aiming towards is something like this? I don't know if you are new to coding in general or just specifically to C# and coding in Unity.

If it is a case of the latter then a couple of good YouTube sources I have found to be very informative are Holistic3D and Sebastian Lague. You can pick through the many topics they have presented and should find the answers to your specific questions in their back catalogues.

If it is the former (new to coding), then might I be so bold as to suggest that this may be quite an ambitious first project. If you have an attempt at each of the areas you have given as questions, you will be able to provide more focus in the details of the problems you face. This will, in turn, allow for more detailed and appropriate responses. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. MrArcher

MrArcher

For #4, I'm assuming you mean jobs/tasks from an AI standpoint. If that's the case, I'd lump #4 and #6 together. There are a lot of different structures you can use. Quill18Creates did an excellent youtube tutorial series on base building games that covered strategic AI and a jobs system. One great discussion I found was off the back of this series - his fans continued the project on Github and had a great discussion about options for a job system right here.