Search Unity

Tactical Shooter AI - Asset Store Pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by squared55, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi,

First of all, this is a really great AI system!
    However I encountered a small problem with it. I have a group of agents with behaviour to move to transform with another group of hostile agents along the way. Once in combat the agents with key transform and move to transform behaviour completely disregard any cover and just continue walking towards their destination, although they do fire back at hostiles.

Is there any way to make AI with move to transform behaviour to disregard it once in combat and get into cover instead and then only continue to their target transform once it is safe again?

EDIT: I should also mention, AI type is set to Tactical, cover search method to Within Combat Range. Layers seem to be set up correctly as all agents without move to transform use cover correctly.

Regards,
    Ferum

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. rbm123

rbm123

HI

Do you have any tutorial for spawner?

Tactical shooter AI v1.7

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  3. squared55

squared55

Try setting the idle behavior to patrol with a single waypoint (marking the destination), and eliminating the key transform.

I'll look up the exact name for you when I get the chance, something along the lines of "min dist behind wall to fire."

For your ragdoll issue, go into the animator on the ragdoll's parent object and make sure it's set to always animate when off screen. Otherwise when you turn the camera away it will reset.

4. johny256

johny256

please add tutorial
    EZFPS suport.. and Rfps tutorial

emperor12321 likes this.
  5. squared55

squared55

Hello,

The package already includes RFPS integration instructions.

EZFPS is a multiplayer asset, and TSAI is a singleplayer asset. Unfortunately, this means I can't offer support for EZFPS- I simply don't have enough experience with networking. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. Niyazmohammad

Niyazmohammad

Please help me, I have done all correctly what in the video are explained for setup the AI and UFPS but still ufps cant damage to AI and AI is not ever shooting on the ufps player.
    I am stuck in that .
    niyazheran@hotmail.com
    Capture2.PNG Capture1.PNG

7. squared55

squared55

Hello,

It looks like your AI is set to attack team 1, but your UFPS player is on team 0. You'll need to switch one of those to be compatible with the other.

As for your UFPS bullets, make sure they are doing enough damage to be noticeable compared to the agent's health. If your agents have a million health and your bullets are doing 1 damage a second, then it would take 11 days to actually deplete all that health, giving the impression that you're doing no damage.

8. Niyazmohammad

Niyazmohammad

If I put in UFPS all these ( My Team ID + Allied Team ID + Enemy Teams ID =1 ) then will it work.

9. catjack

catjack

hello there!
    I am using UFPS (latest one)
    A small issue please, I saw more people asked about this:
    I want to disable the aim/fire/grenade scripts from soldiers and use just the melee option.I checked the melee option but from what I see the soldier attack me just once, the he start to rotate.
    I want to be like zombies
    Can you tell me please which options I should choose/leave from inspector?

thank you!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  10. squared55

squared55

I've never seen that particular issue before (where he melee attacks once and then rotates). Without more information, the best I can recommend is that you fiddle with the melee settings in the base script.

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi,

Like CryEngine your AI plugin seems very tied to your character and weapons setup.

I would like to use only essential parts of your system like perception and decision, and i would want to drive and use my own characters and weapons movements and actions different from your setup.

So would it be possible you extend your package to expose functions, for example each agent AI would have a script that would manage the environment and would assign values to some state variables ?
    For example :
    - fire
    - run to cover at position zzz , same rotation as cover
    - run to position zzz
    - run and fire to position zzz
    - jump over small obstacle at position zzz

12. squared55

squared55

I can look into it. Some of that may be possible already- Movement is already passed through the navmesh interface which can be overriden/replaced- but I'm don't think the same is true for the animations and weapons.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Perhaps high level class that would contain interfaces :
    - change position (crouch , stand)
    - change upper body rotation
    - change arms rotation
    - Launch animation (run, idle, jump over ... )
    It's the same , it's a high level management of the characters calling functions with general parameters.
    Your plugin would have all functions implemented, while other people could override those and call their own animations and movement stuff.

For weapons , this is the same, it could be a high level interface for any weapons with standard functions the plugin would call :
    - fire
    - melee
    - reload
    Or the plugin could use messaging , so it would be to users to implement those functions as messages ones.

There is many ways to have a high level framework calling functions that users could change for any custom use.

Anyway, this means lot of refactor, and it's up to you to choose if the plugin would benefit some rewrite or if it can stay as it is.

14. rbm123

rbm123

do you have tutorial for spawner?

15. squared55

squared55

The main issue I'd have in implementing this is that some actions are driven by scripts other than the BaseScript/TargetScript.

For instance, the animations and movement in cover are driven by the gun- when it decides to fire, then the agent moves out to get a clear shot. Otherwise, they hide behind the wall.

I may add a wave spawner script in a future update, but I'm not sure yet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  16. zenGarden

zenGarden

In high level prespective this would result in :
    variable cover_mode = true
    When Fire() is called , it would check cover_mode variable and would call
    - SimpleFire() for basic fire not in cover mode
    - "ChangeStanceToOutOfCover()" and it would call and repeat "fireFromCoverStance" as long as fire is called

It's delegating functionnality in high level interfaces making abstraction of the low level implementation.
    This way anyone could implement their own cover positions and animations.

17. squared55

squared55

Right, but I'd need to redo a bunch of stuff for everything to be all neat and tidy.

Otherwise, you'd end up with multiple scripts centered around controlling the gun, and another two scripts regarding the animation, and then a few more for the movement, etc.

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

Anyway i am not sure there would be lot of people needing that.
    This would be for experienced developpers only , because you must be at ease about managing animations, mecanim, adding your own code to interfaces when needed.
    Some people using the plugin was real beginners, and they could only use the default soldier.

Perhaps a solution could be to add an additionnal system for some more experienced people no more tied to Mecanim and the default soldier, able to use legacy animations also, something where you could use any character and you could specify as "stance cover" or "fire from stance cover" any animation you want.

19. rbm123

rbm123

what is spawner script ? I saw this in TSAI v1.7

20. squared55

squared55

I don't think there is a spawner script in the package that is currently uploaded to the asset store. You probably copy and pasted it into your project from some other source.

Users can already use any character they want and whatever animations they want, setting them up with the built-in wizards, or just swapping animations out of the controllers. The default soldiers are intended for demonstration purposes. :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  21. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good.
    Getting some high level functions separate from animations would make it something super modular, in some way what CryEngine is trying to do for next update making the AI module no more tied to the whole framework.

22. lawsochi

lawsochi

Hello.
    A few pages back you ask that you are using TAI with Inventory pro. I have a question.
    1. Can nps use the Ufps weapons, search for another killed nps, take away his weapons, bullets, etc., using the inventory pro.
    2. Is it difficult to change the ratio of 1 nps and not the entire group, for example, I have 20 nps of one group in different parts of the map, and they are neutral, I shoot one, he becomes an enemy, and the whole group is not?
    3. Is there a restriction on using TAI with another AI system, for example with ICECreatureControl?
    Thank you.

23. squared55

squared55

Hello,

First off, I should mention that I HAVE NOT tried using TSAI with Inventory Pro (I don't own Inventory Pro), so I can't fully answer your first question. However, TSAI agents cannot currently use UFPS weapons.

2. Each individual agent has its own list (array) of groups which it treats as enemies. However, there are no built-in mechanisms for altering this array at runtime, so you would have to implement that yourself. :)

3. As far as TSAI agents are concerned, all other characters are a single transform with a script on it. You may need to modify the damage systems of one or both packages to make it work, though. I don't own ICE Creature Control, though, so I can't comment on it specifically.

24. lawsochi

lawsochi

Thanks for the answer,
    I'm really confused. You did not say that TAI works with Inventory pro:
    Do you have plans to make use of the TAI of UFPS weapons, and if not, can anyone tell how difficult this is?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  25. squared55

squared55

I see now that you're referring to someone else's comment with regards to Inventory Pro :)

As for UFPS, my solution for the current build would be to have the agents use their weapons and then spawn a UFPS gun pickup when they die.

26. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

I already see the video that show how to integrate UFPS and Tactical Shooter AI and I did the integration.
    But I want to create a zombie in my game, but now I want to create melee attacks for my zombies using Tactical Shotter AI. I uncheck the gunscript from the agent, enable melee attack and change values "Minimum distance to target if not cover" to 2, change "Melee Range" to 2 and set the "AI type" to Berserker on BaseScript.

I start the game, when the agent see the my player(HeroHDWeapon), it chase and attack him. But if I don't move, the agent didn't attack again. When I made a small click in the keyboard buttons. Like move right(D keyboard button), the agent attacks again.

Do you know any values that I can use to make the agent continue using melee attack, even if the player don't move?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  27. IamKevinRichardson

IamKevinRichardson

Fantastic product! I hooked up UFPS in your demo scene and was wondering if you know how to make agents respawn using UFPS. Just adding the respawn script doesn't seem to be working.

28. squared55

squared55

Increase the melee range. I usually use something like 5. Also try decreasing the melee attack time.

I just instantiate new ones when necessary. I might include a wave spawner in a future update as well.

29. Celtic-Indie

Celtic-Indie

Hi, just bought your product and thinks it's great! Easy to setup and integrate with ufps. Two related things I have noticed which I could do with some help on are :-

1. When my ai use dynamic cover and crouch they bring their legs up and are floating in mid air. I think it's to do with agent navmesh which is the only thing I can see that covers the same area when I press pause.

2. The feet aren't flush to the floor for all animations. Again the agent navmesh is slightly off.

Has anyone experienced this and got a fix for them?

Thanks

30. Celtic-Indie

Celtic-Indie

I just tried the animation controllers that come with the asset. There's no issue with them so it must be the animation controller. I'll try creating my own based on one of the examples instead of using the generated one.

31. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there,

I'm playing with this AI and thinking what chances do i hace to give orders to selected Targets?I've managed to give a move to a position oder to a single soldier or a group, but do we have any way to set behaviours at runtime like don't engage enemy if i don't say so...? RTS stuff. Or ignore/stop the attack if i force them to move to another position...

Thanks a lot.

32. squared55

squared55

It's probably an issue with the origin on your animation's model. I believe the feet is the best position for it to be.

The AI isn't exactly designed for the player to give complex orders, but you can manipulate the Key Transform to make them center their actions around certain objects, and also change behaviours on the fly as outlined in the manual.

33. GWStudio

GWStudio

Hi @squared55 ..
    How to make ai agent to see the target (RFPS) behind glass for example .. I make a glass with transparent material but the ai agent can't see me .. Any idea ...

emperor12321 likes this.
  34. squared55

squared55

Put the glass on a physics layer which is not selected in the AI Controller's layermask variable. When calculating line of sight, the AI only cares about physics colliders.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  35. bluesubstance2

bluesubstance2

Hi there,

I've recently run into another issue. I'm currently heavily modifying the AI to fit my game genre, for this I require the AI to respawn after death (without destroying it, basically resetting the existing AI to its default values) Sadly the AI doesn't seem to be able to move after I reset its values (and reposition it). Is there anything I could have missed?

Thanks in advance!

36. squared55

squared55

When the AI is first spawned, the model deparents itself from the root object with all the scripts, and when the agent dies, that root object is destroyed leaving just the ragdoll behind. In addition to modifying the base/health scripts from to prevent this root object from being destroyed, you would also probably need to put the original hierarchy back together when respawning the agent.

37. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

I'm using DAZ3D to export my character to Unity's humanoid rig. After following the tutorial to setup a new character everything works correctly, however, there are two locations (pelvis, ankles) that get twisted 180 degrees (backward) when the scene enters play mode. I've tried redoing the character setup process 6-7 times to make sure no steps were missed. The same thing occurs.

38. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is a very long thread, so rather than go through page by page I will ask all of the readers. Has anyone seen a usage for this AI in regards to soldiers and how they fought, fired their weapons, reloaded, took cover around the era of the US Civil War (1860's). Basically very similar to Napoleonic warfare in general, but also guerilla style warfare. I want to know if this kit could realistically control AI like that.

39. squared55

squared55

Hmm. Does enabling/disabling the RotateToAimGun script help at all? If not, it may be that your animations are incompatible with your model. Try using your animations without any scripts attached and see if they play fine then.

Well, I've never done Napoleonic era stuff specifically, but going through your list:

Fighting Style: I assume you want all your soldiers to form a firing line? With some minor tweaking you could get them to line up in pre-determined spots, but you'd probably need to write a custom behaviour in order to get them to dynamically form a line.

Shooting: Should be fine.

Reloading: TSAI agents do not stop moving to reload, as the leg and upper body animations are independent to each other. This might be an issue if your agents need to stop or place their gun on the ground when reloading.

Taking Cover: Cover finding is supported, and agents only peek out to fire. Should be fine for single-shot weapons, but again the lower body (crouching) animations might get in the way of the reload animations.

All in all, I think you would need to do a not-insignificant amount of modification to get the behavior you want.

40. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

There is no affect when disabling / enabling RotateToAimGun script. I did use a mixture of animations when building the character according to your tutorial steps. You can see the model becomes twisted around.

41. squared55

squared55

Well, if it works without the RotateToAimGun script, then it's probably an issue with the animations/rig themselves. You can confirm this by playing an animation on your model without any TSAI scripts attached. If that is still the issue, try modifying the humanoid avatar in the character mesh's import settings (the positions of the bones, etc). If that doesn't work, then it may simply be that your animations and your model are simply incompatible with each other and you will need to replace/modify one of them.

42. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

I have now attempted to use your asset 12 times over a span of 3 weeks. This is becoming a major roadblock. We've tried to offset timely production in order to keep things moving along by working on other areas of the game like level design while attempting to locate a solution to this issue. Now we are up against the deadline and this problem is going to break our game if not resolved. We've invested considerable time learning your asset and know it very well. Making up that lost time by learning another AI asset will cost us considerably. We'd like to use this asset and have built the entire game around it. I've rebuilt the character 12 times in all manners and methods available for trouble shooting in order to locate and track down the root cause of this "bone twisting" problem. This includes using your default animations to the default character models provided within the root asset. This only makes things worse by making the character float around chasing the opponent team. There are no problems with the transferring of the character model from DAZ3D to Unity3D's humanoid rig system on other assets like Opsive Third Person Controller. In other words, the pipeline is clean and operational and works. Once converted to a unity3d humanoid rig inside the unity3d engine, whats the problem? This is now a default unity humanoid rig the same as any other expected.

Some of your labels on the controller setup are confusing. For example "Arm". What is Arm? The closest answer I could come up with is the Shoulder. So we've been using the Shoulder to fill in this "Arm" controller slot.

Before writing this comment I attempt one more time to rebuild a character using nothing but the assets default animations. Again completely whacked out with a new glitch that keeps the original model and makes a new one but both are separated while still being connected if each is individually highlighted.

I notice everyone is using a Maximo pipeline for rigging. Why would the rigging matter if Unity3D rigs the model when applying a humanoid rig? Wouldn't this be a clean default root starting point regardless of which platform the model is coming from?

43. squared55

squared55

Hello,

First off, I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience.

So, the first thing I did after reading this is boot up Unity and attempt to recreate your glitch. I made a bare-bones animation controller using the default animations, and I used the pre-made Soldier_Ragdoll as the model (which has the ragdoll, eye, and firing position already set-up). This (perhaps unfortunately) worked fine.

My next goal was to try and break it so it ends up like yours. First, I was able to do is get the agent to lean back by eliminating the Mask from the UpperBody part of the controller, and cause some extreme twitching by messing with the ragdoll and Animator components.

Finally, I was able to (mostly) replicate it by opening up the avatar configurationin the import settings, twisting the agent's torso and head around 180 degrees (ignoring the red bones it threw at me) and then running the game. It even held the gun sideways, and the other arm couldn't reach it, just like in your picture.

So, I'd recommend opening the model's avatar editor in the import settings, twisting the torso and ankles around (ignoring the red bones), and seeing if that resolves the issue once you hit play.
    Just make sure to back-up the model first, in case you need to revert the avatar.

Is this referring to the Ragdoll Wizard?

I've seen bad ragdolls ruin agents before, so you might want to try making an agent while skipping this step. In any case, you'll want to make sure that every rigidbody on your agent is set to be kinematic.

Finally, have you tried using one of the pre-made demo animation controllers already? Conversely, have you tried using your custom controller on the demo agents? What were the results?

I've never seen that issue specifically, but I have seen glitches occur as a result of the error failing. Usually there's an error in the console that goes along with it. If there is one when you do it, what does it say?

Finally, I just want you to know that I'm more than willing to give you a refund at any time should you decide that you no longer want to use TSAI. :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  44. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

So, I'd recommend opening the model's avatar editor in the import settings, twisting the torso and ankles around (ignoring the red bones), and seeing if that resolves the issue once you hit play.

The only locations which were twisted 180 degrees inside the model avatar were ankles and thumb. After rotating forward and applying the changes there are still problems when hitting play. The ankles are fixed, but the thumbs are now exaggerated twice the distance than they are in the avatar. I've provided the image below. You can see the thumbs extending far beyond the avatar during play. Further, the head is 180 degrees twisted. The wrist are twisted. The lower body does not match to the default asset animations. The legs cross over each other in an offset manner and so on. Almost every bone in either reversed or out of position after hitting play.

The rigidbodys are set to kinematic automatically as default.

Finally, have you tried using one of the pre-made demo animation controllers already? Conversely, have you tried using your custom controller on the demo agents? What were the results?

Yes, I have used a pre-made demo animation controller to no affect. Infact the grenade controller which is used in the demo scenes breaks everything worse than an original build by making the character model float around.

45. squared55

squared55

So, right now, I still think that the most likely culprit is some kind of incompatibility between the avatars on the models and those on the animations. My guess is a spine or pelvis bone that was rotated to face in the opposite direction as it's counterpart on the TSAI demo agent. Then, when the game is played, it gets spun around 180 degrees by the animation, causing the issue you see here.

Onto the questions! :)

What script/line is that null reference exception error in the console at the bottom referring to? Is it a TSAI script?

What happens if you apply your animations to the model, without any sort of influence from TSAI? Do you still get the contorted model? How about if you disable the animator component all together?

Have you tried using an animation controller with no TSAI animations? Even a placeholder of a single animation used in every animation slot would work for debugging purposes (to see whether the issue occurs with all animations or only TSAI animations).

Also, just to make sure I understand this right, no custom TSAI agent has ever worked for you, correct? What about the included demo agents on the included demo maps?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  46. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

With your help I was able to track down the two culprits causing the twisting issues. When applying Unity's ragdoll everything becomes off-centered. This, combined with the 3d model being 180 degrees reversed at the time of export were the culprits. I took your advice to skip the ragdoll in order to troubleshoot. This worked. The model lined up nicely with the animations. However the hitboxes are missing without the ragdoll attached so you can't kill the A.I. without it. I then tried adding the ragdoll to the child game object / transformer directly under the character model. This worked. The ragdoll must be placed on a child game object / transformer in order to line up with the model.

So, thank you! the issue has been resolved. We can now move forward once again.

There is one more issue I'd like to ask you. Have you encountered this before? The mid-section of the A.I. Agent after death will stick to it's location upon being shot as the A.I. Agent falls down. (See image)

47. squared55

squared55

Glad to hear the issue has been fixed! On the ragdoll creator, there is a variable called "Flip Forward." Checking that may make it work without the additional steps, when/if you go to make future agents.

As for the new issue, it looks to me like you have a torso bone that is a parent to every rigidbody/collider on your ragdoll. Thus, no rigidbody moves it when the agent ragdolls. Attaching a rigidbody/collider to said bone should fix it.

48. MarkusKer

MarkusKer

Hello there,

i just bought the package and after i imported it i became this two errors.
    Now i am not able to play.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,
    Markus

Attached Files:

49. squared55

squared55

I have never seen those errors in any of my Unity projects, but they look like internal Unity errors. Usually those go away after clearing the console, but if not you might want to try deleting TSAI from your project/reverting to a back-up and then reimporting TSAI.

50. Hokio

Hokio

Hey there I have a question,

I imported the most recent version of the TSAI from the assetstore into a blank project and was hoping to try out/make use of the new dodge and stagger animation support for damage and the parkour animations but I didn't see any art for such implementation or scripting that supports it. I had the old version to compare it to and nothing is different?

I'm almost positive that I'm just missing something but idk what it is. Can anyone point in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!