Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tactical RPG in unity using Android/iOS controllers

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by McLoyf, May 31, 2018.

1. McLoyf

McLoyf

Hi all, I'm new to Unity, I have some experience with C# but I am primarily a Python developer. My question is, in its most basic form:

Is it possible to create a 3D Hex based tactics RPG that runs on a PC connected to a TV where the players each control their characters from their phones and certain information (think stealthed characters or charged spells) is kept hidden from unfriendly players (ie not shown on their phones or the TV) but not necessarily friendly players? And if it is whereabouts would I find the resources to learn more about doing this?

Ideally the TV version would only show things as they happened, it doesn't show the player temporarily moving to different locations and testing attack range, just when the player commits the turn and he or she actually moves and completes an action.

This is an attempt to convert a pen and paper game that my friends and I created a few years ago. If you have questions about how the game works feel free to ask I will definitely have an answer.

Thanks for any help

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sure. This is the Game Design forum, so we should be discussing how that impacts gameplay, which design elements should be hidden vs. exposed, etc.

But the answer to "is it possible?" is always Yes (and the details of how should be discussed in, say, Getting Started or Networking or whatever).

3. McLoyf

McLoyf

Sorry to ask in the wrong place. I'll ask elsewhere.
    But the answer to is something possible is not always yes, and it is always worth to ask if something is possible.
    See: Possible to use an external display on iOS?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It is when your question is general enough. You didn't say anything about how you might display stuff on the TV. AirPlay probably won't do it; you'll need to be running a separate app (on, say, an Apple TV or a laptop or console connected to the TV), and communicate with the apps running on the phones over WiFi or Bluetooth. But now we're really getting into implementation details. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.