Search Unity

tactic server will need simplified map

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by luiner, Apr 16, 2009.

1. luiner

luiner

Hello!
    Recently I moved to unity technology, and I like to know if any of you have idea how to solve my technical problem.
    Idea is that it will be tactic(with squares like in chess) game, but if you prepare map/terrain with irregular obstacles or just accesable height differences. Because I prepare seperated c# server for it, I will have to inform server aboit map. and as long as accesable heights I can just ignore I will need to plan which squares have inaccesable obstacles or heights.
    In my previous engine map were prepared by external editor which is at the moment completly not compatible.
    Any idea?

Thanx for any help

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Write an editor plugin that generates you these data again or even a build step script that executes editor scripts to do so automagically.

3. luiner

luiner

hmm... sounds fine. Any pointers in code/options which could be usefull? As I said I'm new here, and learning new enviroment takes always a while.

Following your idea I will need to prepare plugin which will allow me to create grid and plan height for each terain-segment separately, also add there objects and export it to external file...

Yeach, thanx for tip.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

no need for a plugin
    Just a JS / C# scripts that uses System.IO to store it out for example.

As for pointers: Check out the "Editor Classes" part in the script reference

5. luiner

luiner

Thanx, that exacely what i need
    5 star for help :)
    I will set up new topic if I will get any other obstacle, but it liiks strait forward now x)

Cheers and thx again

6. luiner

luiner

There is no such thing like System.IO -.- or it is hidden well