Search Unity

Feedback TAA medium/long distance issue: Flickering

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by PutridEx, Jan 9, 2022.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

TAA in HDRP is good, and it's my go to for anti aliasing (FXAA & gang be damned)
    but one big problem i'm seeing more and more of is flickering when using TAA.

in small areas, it's not that much of a problem, but any area that isn't small or empty will have some flickering, and it can be fairly severe and noticeable at times.

It becomes an issue when there's a long/medium distance between you and the objects.

(0.6 anti flicker, but even when maxed at 1.0 usually there's not that big of an improvement and much of the flickering stays) (2020 LTS and 2021)
    All examples are taken with normal, 1x zoom. So this flickering is very noticeable.
    the flickering is more severe than shown, the gifs make it slower.

examples:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  2. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

It looks like some floating point precision issue.
    how far is your camera from the (0,0,0) ?

3. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Acute angles and small details tend to be the main cause of this.
    This is going to be a limitation of the temporal nature of TAA as it calculates neighbouring historical pixels per update.

gates, sharp angles, railings, thin objects and cracks, at a distance would be the most noticeable because they're becoming less than a pixel thick at distances.

other than different solutions like forward rendering with MXAA 2X and TAA to be the "lightest" alternate solution, and simplified details at a distance, I'm not sure myself of other solutions that might also be viable if it's an absolute necessity.

4. PutridEx

PutridEx

Yeah, I know that but it feels like HDRP flickering is a bit too much compared to what you'd usually expect.

maybe HDRP's anti-flicker is quite good already, still -- no harm in making this thread.
    It's just a really annoying limitation, and if it can be improved further, even at the cost of quite some performance, I'd be interested since it's quite a problem for many projects/areas.

Also, away from the flickering topic, I do realize higher quality doesn't mean 'better' visuals with TAA settings. But it feels like TAA "high" quality is consistently worse than medium, did many tests with different projects/scenes.

I also did some comparasion of TAA for built-in & HDRP.

- Look at the animated line renderer.
    Built-in with 0.65 stationary blending:

HDRP with 0.6 Blending (minimum):

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022