Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

T4M Black Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, Feb 14, 2012.

1. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

I've tried it in a new project, but stil lthe same problem:

Billboards dissapear when hitting Activate, and the T4M billboard objects dissapear from the Planting List after playing the scene.. I'm sending you the new project by mail, so you can take a closer look

2. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Yeah, I was expierencing this as well. T4M cuts an edge off of the Unity terrain, making it not possible to use multiple unity terrains and directly convert them. I agree that it's probably a better idea to keep the size of the terrains no matter what :)

You could however try to export the terrains to an .obj and load that.

3. SJAM

SJAM

@Thomas

Don't worry I found the problem on your scene... the Billboards don't disappear. Your T4M object have the LayercullingDistance activated, and your camera is too far. Just deactivate the LayercullingDistance or increase the distance value of your trees layer(same place). Work fine.

Otherwise, nice tree, but choose a Back culled shader for billboard, the back facing don't need to render the texture, only front face is visible

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Yup, just got your mail. Thanks man!

5. zpinner

zpinner

@Azert2k,

How does tree collision work?

6. SJAM

SJAM

Hi all,

@Zpinner
    In fact you can add the collider you want, because the T4M plant everthing.

But you can see the performance if you buy this awesome game who use the T4M : http://www.kukouri.com/tinytroopers/

Tiny Troopers

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

that really looks nice – if only the trees would bend in the wind… ;-)

lars

8. zpinner

zpinner

It seems it achieved an Awesome result!

9. SJAM

SJAM

Yes... this game is awesome !

Have you try the demo of T4M ? You can know what you ask me.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  10. zpinner

zpinner

I was convinced to buy before using the demo! You did a great job, man!
    One thing is bugging me though, I had an idea to create small terrains (resolution of 150/150), and program something like a room management to show them as the player advances. The problem is that I can set a minimum of 1024 vertex which gives me 1.9k tris per piece of terrain. Is it possible to use less vertex than that?

thanks in advance!

edit:
    I guess I'll just use one big mesh ultra low poly

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  11. uniphonic

uniphonic

I'm having trouble getting T4M Black Edition to run at all on my Android Device. I have a game setup that runs reasonably well on my Android device, using the standard Unity Terrain, but as soon as I switch it out for T4M, and then hit the Build Run, it either crashes after the Unity loading screen, or it infinitely displays the Unity loading screen on my Android device. It plays fine in the Unity Editor, using my Android Device as a remote, but as soon as I export the apk to the device, it crashes or hangs.

Again, my game works mostly OK with the standard Unity Terrain on my device (higher than 30 fps I think). The only problem I have with the standard Unity Terrain is that terrain occasionally disappears for a frame or two (about once every 60 seconds or so). If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be trying T4M.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Jacob

P.S. I'm using the latest version 2.2.7 T4M Black Edition (full version, not the demo)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  12. SJAM

SJAM

Hi and thank all,

@Uniphonic

Can you give me the model of your android device please?

13. uniphonic

uniphonic

It's a Samsung (Galaxy S) Epic 4 G.

14. SJAM

SJAM

GPU : Mali ?
    Number of vertices of your meshes?

15. uniphonic

uniphonic

Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_epic_4g-3410.php

GPU: Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 540
    Android version: 2.3.6
    For vertices, I'm not sure how to tell what the total in my meshes are, but as the game is running in the editor, the stats says it fluctuates between 20k-23.1k vertices. Is that what you need to know?

Thanks!
    Jacob

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  16. SJAM

SJAM

yes, the specifications are good. Can you try on a blank project. just the terrain and T4M. If you have the same trouble after that, just send me the project without your scripts. I will try on my devices.

17. uniphonic

uniphonic

I created a brand new project, a new scene, created new Unity Terrain, painted a little height in the center of it, applied a texture, created a light, then converted the terrain to a T4M texture, and then did a Build Run to my Android device. It came up with the same results: it endlessly showed the loading screen, and eventually Android told me the app wasn't responding and gave me the option to force close it or wait.

I tried the same thing without converting to a T4M object, and it worked as expected.

Any ideas? Let me know if you want me to send you the files?

Thanks!
    Jacob

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Hi I have a problem with my trees, the maximum distance is not enough and they disappear to quickly, and I can't set the distance more than 500. is there any way I could set a custom maximum distance? thanks

19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Never mind It was the unity LOD culling distance that made then disappear to quickly.

20. SJAM

SJAM

@uniphonic
    to isolate the problem, make this

1 - convert the terrain with less of vertices and build
    2 - try with opengles 1.1 shader and build
    3 - try to delete the T4M script on object and build

make this 3 test, and keep me aware

Stéphane

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

One request, every time I press play to test my scene all the trees in the t4m editor disappear and I have to add them again, is there a way to keep them please?

22. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Lars,

I have try to fix that, but Unity Editor reset all variable of window… I think to keep the values, I need to integrate it in Inspector.

I will see that.

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks would be fantastic if you can do it!

24. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well long time ago i had a request....#maybe now you have the time for ...

Request: T4M infinite terrain Plugin ? (I would pay for...)

Well i'm looking for a infinite terrain solution for Mobile....
    I have one working but i takes too much power on Mobile ... so i have no CPU for other stuff on iPad 1
    Would it be possible to have a Script for it ? Can you make it into T4M ? When ;-) ?

many many thanxxx

25. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Muckel,

In fact, is can not be a feature of the T4M, you must do a simple script to do that, and import the repeatable (tileable) meshes converted to T4M.

Without it, I don't see what I can do in the T4M.

Explains me exactly that you want the T4M must do. And I will see that.

26. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Hello,
    I'd like to report a bug with the SM3 shader, and a fix, it's the same bug as the one in the shader provided with the substance tool (i guess there is a base shader running around everyone modifies?) and that seems to affect well, mostly me!
    The fix however is trivial so it would be nice if you could include it for future releases, the bug detail and fix can be found in the last few posts of this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/109750-Substance-Terrain-Tool/page5

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am considering buying T4M Black Edition as I am trying to do everything possible to get the best performance for my game. But I am confused about how it improves performance. I am currently building a web player game, but I would like to port to iOS and Android later. I know very little about how Unity's terrain works, but it sounds like it has a lot of built in optimization. So, what does T4M Black Edition do better than Unity's built in terrain?

Thanks!
    Shawn

28. Tiles

Tiles

It is another method. Unity Terrain uses a heightmap. T4M uses a mesh.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok. Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to know what that impacts, performance-wise. Are heightmaps a less efficient method?

30. Tiles

Tiles

As told, a heightmap is simply another method. A heightmap just defines the height of a vertice in a given square mesh. You can`t build cliffs or caves that way.

Normally a heightmap is a bit more performant and smaller in size because you can create your terrainmesh at runtime. All you need is a greyscale image, the heightmap itself. But Unity terrain is not really resource friendly, it makes lots of drawcalls. So you might get a much better performance with a mesh terrain. And in fact it is most of the times.

31. zillion

zillion

Just having a simple problem, which can probably be explained within a matter of seconds.
    You said it will always have 1 drawcall, yet I'm getting 6 with JUST my terrain and the Unity FPC prefab in the scene...
    Any idea why this is happening?
    The terrain is only 1600 polys and 1 texture that is 1024x1024, and is not tiled.

32. Boss

Boss

Nice!

33. SJAM

SJAM

Hi All,

@Zillion
    Just Think, if you use shadow the drawcall will be increased, deactivate the capsule renderer also. Think also, the skybox give 6 drawcalls... can you make me a screenshot, please.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm back with a another (possibly stupid) question. I understand that you can paint trees like in Unity's terrain, and that you have billboards. I've been reading through the manual and I am not clear on whether or not the billboard trees are automatically created with T4M Black Edition. Do we have to create the billboards for the trees and then assign them an LOD, or are tree billboards auto-generated like in the Unity terrain?

Thanks!
    Shawn

35. Tiles

Tiles

They are not auto created. You need to manually create and assign the billboards as LOD. Would be a nice request though :)

On the other hand, this would require render to texture. And that`s a Unity Pro feature. So i doubt that this would be a good idea.

36. zillion

zillion

I created a terrain within the default Unity Terrain tools.
    I then converted it to a T4M terrain, and for some reason, my polycount within my scene went from 10k to 35k.
    The polycount of my terrain is approximately 30k, and I believe that after I converted it, the whole terrain is being loaded, even when the camera is not viewing the full terrain.
    The viewing distance of my camera is 150, and to see the whole terrain it would need to be almost 2000.
    I have made sure that the viewing camera is my Main Camera within the settings of T4M.
    Is there something I have done wrong? Because with this many polys, my game will not run well at all on a mobile device, and I would like to get it back down to the original 10k.
    I believe this may just be a setting somewhere.
    I have the LOD and billboard settings turned off.
    Thank you.

37. SJAM

SJAM

@zillion

In fact you have 3 drawcalls for T4M Gui preview, but when you start the scene, you have 1 drawcall, exept if your conversion is more than 32k of vertices, in this case Unity Split automaticly the geometrie.

38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Any update on opening up the source files? Thanks

39. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to add a "global" bump map to the terrain. I've created a terrain in ZBrush, optimized it in TopoGun and baked a normal map. Is there a way to apply the normal map to my terrain to have the bumps?

As far as I understand, what the bumped shader does now is that it is applying the bump map to a particular material and tiles it.

Is it possible to assign a global normal map to the terrain?

Thank you!

40. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

Yes you can. For that you need to modify an shader.

Keep me aware, if you dont know how make that

Besy regards

Stephane

41. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

I've sent you an email with my custom shader. Please let me know if it's doing the job correctly. And how do I integrate lightmaps into my terrain?

Thank you!

42. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

I send you the shader by mail, I will make some shaders for T4M (Mobile) soon

@Lars
    I know you want that since a long time... I think I will release the source with Unity 4 release

43. bravery

bravery

44. Ecocide

Ecocide

Thank you so much for this tool. Something similar should be part of Unity3d in stock.

I modeled a terrain under my road network, so I needed something very accurate to transfer this to Unity. It's IMPOSSIBLE! Nothing is as accurate as the actual terrain in form of a mesh in your 3D App.

45. Unislash

Unislash

Hey Azert2k :)

For some reason none of the shaders are working for me. I am using the T4M Black demo (2.2.0) to see if I can update my existing implementation, but so far all I get is either black or pink/magenta/fuschia when I install to any android device. It's fine when playing directly in unity, though. The T4M object is black when using the 'shader 1 model + 2 textures gles1_1', and pink when using the 'shader 2 model + 3 textures 4 mobile lightmap'. Any ideas?

Pictures attached

Thanks for the help, and great job!

Cheers,
    Unislash

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  46. SJAM

SJAM

Hi all :)

@bravery
    Yes you can make that, but you need to make your own shader for that, and add it in T4M. If you don't know how make that say me, I will.

@.Rattlehead
    Thank you so much, it's nice to hear that :)

@Unislash
    It's a shader problem of demo version... my bad. just change the shader by Unlit 3 texture + lightmap. The result it's the same, and work better.
    Keep me aware

47. Unislash

Unislash

Thanks for the quick response Stephane :). So far I've tried all of the other shaders except those that are bumped. They all work except for the T4M_3_Textures_4_Mobile_Lightmap. Unfortunately I can't get the T4M_3_Textures_Unlit to take a lightmap, but it does compile. The spec one works (but has spec, and I don't need that), and the Toon is extremely bright and I can't seem to darken it at all (this one did take a lightmap, if I remember correctly.

Now, what's interesting is T4M_3_Textures_High Spec works perfectly for my purposes. Oddly enough there is no spec with it--I couldn't put any in even if I wanted to. Of course, I'm not sure if it is being as efficient as, say the Unlit 3 texture + lightmap that you suggest. Efficiency is the benchmark i'm trying to push, so if there's another 3 texture shader + lightmap in the full version, I'm sold :).

Let me know if there is, and if there is anything specific I need to do to get the Unlit 3 texture + lightmap working in the demo version so I can benchmark. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Unislash

48. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

I interesting for T4M Black Edition and I have a question.
    It is possible to convert UnityTerrain to T4M with editor script at buildtime and if possible how hard to do this?

49. SJAM

SJAM

50. bravery

bravery

Hi Azert2k,

I have bought the T4M, and after looking to it, I have the following Questions:

1- when I unpack the tutorial pack, found one level called Tuto and when I play it I have the following warning:
    "The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!"
    Why is that happening?

2- When I pay the level I and enable the stats I found the draw calls between veray between 70 and 180 Draw calls (isn't that much?)

Please advise.