Search Unity

System.TypeInitializationException at appCallbacks.SetBridge(_bridge)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Stranger-Games, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Hi

Since il2cpp is getting me a strange error, I tried .net compilation and I get System.TypeInitializationException at a line that says appCallbacks.SetBridge(_bridge)

Call Stack
    --------------
    [External Code]
    > Space Games Comics.exe!Space_Games_Comics.MainPage.MainPage() Line 44 C#
    [External Code]
    Space Games Comics.exe!Space_Games_Comics.App.InitializeUnity(string args) Line 120 C#
    Space Games Comics.exe!Space_Games_Comics.App.OnLaunched(Windows.ApplicationModel.Activation.LaunchActivatedEventArgs args) Line 93 C#
    --------------

Code
    -------
    _bridge = new WinRTBridge.WinRTBridge();
    appCallbacks.SetBridge(_bridge);
    -------

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Do you get any errors when you build from Unity?

3. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

I chose 'Use Net Core' for compilation overrides and fixed all the errors, so I donot get any errors when building from unity now.

4. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

@Aurimas Cernius
    When I built for x86 inside visual studio, the exception was not thrown.
    Is that the intended behavior?

5. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

I think there is some bug in Visual Studio where you get exception quite randomly. Rebuilding and running again sometimes solves this.

Stranger-Games likes this.
  6. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

7. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

8. rjmyth

rjmyth

Hey, I'm having the same issue, and unchecking the Unity c# projects option didn't resolve it,it just stopped me getting a breakpoint when the exception occurs, and additionally when Building the project in VS Community I get several warnings about dll not found including Unity.Networking and WinRTLegacy.

Setting the project to Use NetCore didn't help. I've read other forums that reccommend using the same versions of split dlls (ie a dll with the same name in the Plugins folder + Plugins/WSA, with settings to overwrite the base one when copmiling for WSA), aswell as other suggestions that 2 files might have the same name, and/or same namespace and/or called the same but ones a .cs and ones a .js file. I'm not sure how to check for these duplicate names in my project without the error pointing me towards one specifically.

any helps greatly appreciated.

9. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Can you provide the output from Visual Studio build?
    Also, do you get any errors when building from Unity?

10. rjmyth

rjmyth

I get 1 error from Unity

"UnassignedReferenceException: The variable meshFilter of TerrainEditorPreview has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the meshFilter variable of the TerrainEditorPreview script in the inspector.
    TerrainEditorPreview.UpdateTerrain () (at Assets/Scripts/Release/Terrain/TerrainEditorPreview.cs:77)
    TerrainEditorPreview.Awake () (at Assets/Scripts/Release/Terrain/TerrainEditorPreview.cs:38)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()"

When rebuilding the solution it says

"Warning Failed to resolve all project references for 'MyGameProject'. The package restore result for 'MyGameProject' may be incomplete. 0"

I have also attached the output window when running in vs community 2015.

I have the latest version of unity, currently v5.3.1p3, I needed the additional patch 3 to sort an error when running the game to do with shaders.

I ran a blank project fine, so I don't think there's an issue with my sdk or anything installed, althought there was literally nothing in my blank project but the standard unity background, I am going to put my plugins over 1 by 1 now to see if one shows an issue.

I tried setting the IL2CPP scripting backend setting which is suggested in other similar Windows Store Unity error threads but it doesn't build in editor, I'm not totally sure if this is a setting that should be used/tried or not.

Thanks for the quick response, I notice alot of people are having similar troubles so hopefully it can get sorted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  11. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Can you make a clean build from Unity then build in VS and provide the contents of Output window (after build, not run).

12. rjmyth

rjmyth

Sure thing just a sec...

Do you want the output when building the solution, or the individual MyGameProject project? When ticking Build Unity c# projects in the editor build settings dialogue window, it creates 2 additional projects assembly-csharp and assembly-csharp-firstpass.

13. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

14. rjmyth

rjmyth

Hey, Here are the logs. I rebiult the solution but had ARM selected insteda of the suggested x86 from unity docs. So I'll rebuild it in x86 now and post it.

Edit: added x86 rebuild log, thought I tihnk it's identical.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  15. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

No idea now. Can you try building to an empty directory without C# projects enabled. If it still fails the same way, then report a bug with this project attached, cause I'll have to debug to figure out what's going wrong.

16. rjmyth

rjmyth

Hey, It still occured in the empty directory, I filed a bug report and it's uploading now.

Thank you so much for your help on this, please let me know if there's any additional info you need, or if I need to let you know the bug report numbers or webpage etc when it's finished uploading.

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If it happens on an empty project, this points to something being corrupted within Unity installation itself... Could you try reinstalling Unity?

18. rjmyth

rjmyth

It doesn't happen on an empty project, I can run that fine in visual studio and it doesn't get the exception, so I believe it's something in the project but I have no clue as to what specific file or set of files could be causing it.

When you said to put it into an empty directory, I using Unity to build the App to that new empty directory. Is that what you meant I should try to do, or did I misread that? Sorry if I did.

19. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Can you tell the case number?

20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Oh I misread you. Sorry about that.

21. rjmyth

rjmyth

I've not been emailed it yet, and I can't see it on the Issue Tracker list on the forums yet either.

In my blank project, I have narrowed the issue down to definately being something in the Plugins folder. I moved just the Plugins folder to the new project and the issue occured.

22. rjmyth

rjmyth

Hey, I've still not received an email saying my Case Numbers sadly. After starting a fresh project which worked fine. I added all my plugins foler across and the issue occured.

I then Removed my plugins 1 by 1, and have now reomved all the plugins entirely, and I still get the error on this now empty project. I will file a new report with this project which will be much smaller, and hopefully get an email with a code on it for you this time.

23. rjmyth

rjmyth

Another update on the issue, I still haven't got it resolved.

To get the conclusion above...

1) I created a build in unity with all plugins in
    2) Compiled and ran the game, issue occured
    3) I went to Unity, removed 1 plugin at a time, and built to the same folder overriting what was there, I didn't delete the entire folder each time I did a Unity Engine build to that folder
    4) After getting through all of the plugins, the issue still persisted all the while overwriting that same folder
    5) I deleted the Build folder and did a new build from Unity with no plugins in
    6) This build worked fine

Could the issue be something that persists through builds like that, or is the intention that I should have always reomved the entire build folder so I build to a fresh one everytime I remove a dll?

The next thing I will be trying is to delete the entire build folder each time and go through the plugins one by one again.

24. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If you built your project on top, Unity will no longer copy these DLLs to the project directory, but they will still be there from the previous run. You need to build to an empty folder or remove the DLL from the project manually.

25. rjmyth

rjmyth

Hey, I've now also tried deleting the entire build folder each time I remove a plugin, but I still get the same issue. Basically it seems as soon as the project has the issue, it will continue to have to the issue even when all the plugins are reomved.

26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you receive the case number? It sometimes is slow to respond.

27. rjmyth

rjmyth

Yeah I got it, took a day I got it emailed on the saturday. It's 761936. To replicate the issue all you need is the plugins folder, not the entire project as was provided but I don't know if I can submit a smaller project onto that report for you.

As an update, currently we had .cs classes inside the plugins folder, and after moving them out we get a slightly different error to do with "SharedAssets0.Assets is corrupted, please remove and try again". I don't know if the original issue was solved by moving out the classes folder or if it's just being hidden by this new error. We have had this SharedAssets0 crash before when I was tweaking plugin and unity build settings to try and sort the first issue.

Gonna have a look around about the correuption issue now. Some forums say it's due to duplicate script names but I can't see any atm.

I have found this post in Answers that is unanswered which seems to be the same issue

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1115900/sharedassets1assets-is-corrupted.html

I have attached my log for this issue to this post, however would you like me to post a new bug report for this issue at all if it helps?

Many thanks again for continuing to help look into this

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  28. rjmyth

rjmyth

I'd like to add, a Standalone windows biuld .exe works competely fine, so it may be something to do with packaging or compiling to the Window Store platform specifically.

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The error in the log happens likely due to a bug in our serialization system, and windows standalone uses a different path.

30. rjmyth

rjmyth

Thanks for letting me know. Does that mean it's something you are aware of and can look into a solution for?

Incase it was hidden above, my case number for this issue is 761936.

31. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The bug report just got through QA and was assigned to us. We'll investigate it and fix it. I'll also try to let you know what caused this and how to work around it if that is possible.

32. rjmyth

rjmyth

Ok thank you very much.

I'll continue debugging my end with suggestions from users on forums posts like duplicate script names or serializing issues.

33. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

@rjmyth In your case there was a serialization error in Windows Store Apps, which is fixed now, and should be available in upcoming 5.3.2 Patch 1.

For curious this the bug.

Code (csharp):
    2. [System.Serializable]
    3. public class Test {
    5.     public Test nextInChain;
    6. }
    Editor won't serialize nextInChain, because it's of the same type as where the field is declared, apparently this was since forever like this. But in Windows Store Apps, the serialization system is slightly different, and it tried to deserialize nextInChain, but because there was no data in the stream for that field, the crash would happen.

The workaround would be to mark this field with NonSerialized attribute, this way you'll explicitly tell both for Editor and Windows Store Apps that this field shouldn't be serialized.

Starting with 5.3.2p1, same behavior will be present both in Editor and Windows Store Apps.

34. rjmyth

rjmyth

Thank you. The fix worked straight away. Is there anything I should be looking for to find a problem like this myself in the future? It was a very obscure variable and class I would never have found by myself which is worrying.

35. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Well, basically you have to catch the exception when crash occurs, and navigate via callstack to serialization function, there you should find your serializable object, for ex., Test, and see if the fields have values which you would expect. But it's a rather complex process....

In any case, it's very rare these days to encounter a serialization bug, because we have hundreds of automated tests for corner cases similar to this. I also added new test which test this specific behavior, so don't worry this particular bug won't be back.

GarthSmith likes this.
  36. Foriero

Foriero

Hi, we are 5.3.4p3 and have the same issue and can not find it and we are trying hard. :-(

37. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Submit a bug report with repro project attached... Thank you

38. Simie

Simie

I submitted issue #789503 a few days ago that reproduces a TypeInitializationException being thrown on Windows 10.

39. raviraj_vdy

raviraj_vdy

Hello Guys,

We are facing the same issue, When building from Unity there are no errors the build settings that we are using as follows in the attached image - BuildSettings

Also the exception details image and exception log from the Output window is as follows

'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\data\Programs\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0_1.0.23819.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\mscorlib.ni.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\entrypoint\Project.exe'. Symbols loaded.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Runtime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\WinMetadata\Windows.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\UnityPlayer.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.UI.Xaml.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Collections.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\WinRTBridge.winmd'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\BridgeInterface.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Private.Uri.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\UnityEngine.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\Apple.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\ArabicSupport.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\UnityEngine.Purchasing.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\Assembly-CSharp.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\GameSparks.Api.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\GameSparks.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\UTNotifications.winmd'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\Assembly-UnityScript.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    Exception thrown: 'System.TypeInitializationException' in Project.exe
    EXCEPTION : System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WinRTBridge.WinRTBridge' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WinRTBridge.TypeInformation' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeLoadException: Derived method 'BuildResponse' in type 'GameSparks.Api.Requests.AcceptChallengeRequest' from assembly 'GameSparks.Api, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' cannot reduce access.
    at UnityEngineInternal.BootstrapHelpers.FillTypeMaps0(Dictionary`2 , List`1 )
    at UnityEngineInternal.BootstrapHelpers.FillTypeMaps(Dictionary`2& typeToTypeIdMap, List`1& typeIdToTypeMap)
    at WinRTBridge.TypeInformation..cctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at WinRTBridge.TypeInformation..ctor()
    at WinRTBridge.WinRTBridge..cctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at WinRTBridge.WinRTBridge.get_ExceptionHandling()
    at UnityPlayer.AppCallbacks.SetBridge(IBridge bridge)
    at Project.MainPage..ctor()
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Threading.Tasks.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'Project.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\ProductionSourceVS.Debug_x86.Administrator\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    The thread 0x1564 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The program '[5852] Project.exe' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

Please let me know how can I solve the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    GarthSmith likes this.
  40. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

@raviraj_vdy

We just fixed this bug - it's in the process of being backported to both 5.3 and 5.4.

GarthSmith likes this.
  41. Doppio_movimento

Doppio_movimento

Any progress on this? I'm still seeing this error on 5.4 beta 18.

42. Foriero

Foriero

Yes we are also getting errors when building NET backend and have SRDebugger in the project. ( WIN 10 build running in VS2015.1 )

43. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix shipped in 5.3.5p1. It will ship in 5.4.0b20 too.

Anisoropos likes this.
  44. Simie

Simie

Just tested and bug #789503 seems to be fixed in 5.3.5p2. It is still listed as open in fogbugz, though.

Anisoropos likes this.
  45. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hmm, where do you see it being open? Just checked, it's been resolved a while ago.

46. Simie

Simie

I see it on https://fogbugz.unity3d.com,

I was also keeping an eye on the patch notes and didn't see it mentioned as fixed, but I may have just missed it.

47. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Weird, I'll look into why it displays that to you.