Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

System Requirements for Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pdrummond, Jun 24, 2005.

1. pdrummond

pdrummond

Does anyone have official system requirements for Unity? The reason I ask is that I can't see anything on the website and I'm having trouble running Unity on my PowerBook G4. I'm guessing it's because it's an older model with a non Quartz Extreme graphics card, but it would be helpful to know exactly what hardware is required.

Thanks.

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

My main Unity system (despite it's small screen size) is a 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook with 768MB RAM and a 64MB nVidia card. It runs like butter ... very fluid, etc.

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are going to make unity work on everything down to rage 128 cards.

If you have low video memory (16 mb), you might want to use sucky texture quality. (In the preferences)
    You also want to use only one scene view or game view.

If you have a case where unity does not work as expected on older graphics cards, Please report a bug. Use the submit bug application for that. It would be helpful if you can attach screenshots in this case.

4. pdrummond

pdrummond

My PowerBook is a 500Mhz G4 with an 8Mb graphics card. It can't display anything in the scene and game panels and everything becomes garbled after a few minutes use, as if it's trying to redraw the screen unsuccessfully. Also, most of the controls don't respond to mouse clicks.
    I tried building the example projects to see how they ran. They worked but the texture for the ground didn't show up. Instead I got heavily pixellated garbage.
    I'll post some screenshots soon. I'm using my desktop now, which handles Unity very well.

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'll have to assume that Doom 3 also doesn't run too well? :roll:

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I think unity requires at least a 16 mb graphics card.

You can still try to run it. Just use a very small scene view and use sucky texture quality.

7. pdrummond

pdrummond

Trying Unity on my old PowerBook was just an experiment. I'll use my desktop for development, but it would have been nice to get it working on the laptop. I guess the graphics card just isn't up to it.

(I tried setting the texture quality to the lowest and using a small window but got the same results.)

8. pdrummond

pdrummond

Joachim I've submitted a bug report as requested, along with a screenshot.

Attached Files: