Search Unity

`System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllBytes'

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by LVBen, Jan 16, 2016.

1. LVBen

LVBen

I just got patch 5.3.1p because of a bug that was in 5.3.1f1 and now I have a new problem:

error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllBytes'

What happened to this method?

I'm also now getting these errors:
    error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Texture2D.LoadImage(byte[])' has some invalid arguments
    error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `byte[]'

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

Go to build settings and make sure you're not currently targeting the web player.

Web player doesn't support that method.

LVBen and Kiwasi like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Still remember the first time this got me. It would be nice to have a more platform specific error. Something like "The method you want is not supported on this platform"

As it was I spent hours reading and rereading System.IO.File ...

4. LVBen

LVBen

Thank you! That appears to be correct. Something from the installation caused it to automatically switch to Web Player and now I can't even switch back to Windows, though, I'm quite certain I selected only Windows and Android to be installed and not Web Player...

-----------

I updated to 5.3.1p3 and installed support for only Windows and Android and then switched from Web Player to Windows and now it is working correctly.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  5. LVBen

LVBen

To prevent it from happening to me again, I added this to the file that uses those methods:

#if !UNITY_STANDALONE_WIN
    #warning("This class is intended for the Windows platform only.")
    #endif