Search Unity

[SyncVar] <user-defined struct> not syncing to client

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by sstadelman, Sep 30, 2015.

1. sstadelman

sstadelman

I have an issue where my [SyncVar] float properties are being successfully synched from server to clients, but my [SyncVar] <user-defined struct> property is not.

According to the manual,
    I'm fine with this--the values will only be updated once every few minutes, so efficiency is not a major concern.

My user-defined struct follows below. The struct contains float arrays, but also according to the manual,
    Keep in mind that I am syncing only a single struct, not a list, but presumably the same rules apply to the contents of the single struct as to a member of list of structs.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public struct MyStruct
    2. {
    3.     public float[] Values1;
    4.     public float[] Values2;
    5.     public float[] Values3;
    6.     public float[] Values4;
    7. }
    The implementation in my NetworkBehaviour can summarized as follows:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SyncVar(hook="MyStructChanged")] MyStruct structValue;
    3. // The event handler is only called on a server runtime, next to a library
    4. // broadcasting value updates.
    5. // Note:  this is the same pattern used for successfully setting
    6. // [SyncVar] float values.  I suspected that I could try firing a [Command]
    7. // from here, but since the float vars are working, it seems the issue is
    8. // something different
    10. void SomeEventHandler(object sender, BroadcastArgs e)
    11. {
    12.     structValue.Values1 = e.values1
    13. }
    15. // hook is never invoked
    16. [Client]
    17. void MyStructChanged(MyStruct newValue)
    18. {
    19.     structValue = newValue;
    20.     UpdateUI();
    21. }
    The point which jumps out to me in the manual but which is not clearly documented is the note: "Note that setting a SyncVar member variable inside a property setter function does not cause it to be dirtied." This seems similar to the issue described here. I suspect I need to explicitly invoke some `structValue.SetDirty()` function, but I'm not seeing an example of this approach. Am I on the right track?

glitchers likes this.
  2. Capn_Andy

Capn_Andy

I believe the intended use is to recreate the struct each time (at least, this works for me). Pass in a new MyStruct instead of altering the variables of the existing struct.

sstadelman likes this.
  3. sstadelman

sstadelman

That did it. Thanks!

4. Zullar

Zullar

Alternatively you can manually SetDirtyBit. It would be nice if changing the struct automatically SetDirtyBit