Search Unity

SyncListChanged only gets called on client, can call on server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tinman, Mar 29, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman

I have a SyncListStruct and with a callback. The callback is however only called on the client, never on the server. I understand that maybe by definition it is meant to be called on the client only, but I was wondering if there is a way to call it on the server too.

//defined playerDatalist...

public override void OnStartClient()
    {
    playerDataList.Callback = OnSyncListStructChanged;
    }
    public override void OnStartServer()
    {
    playerDataList.Callback = OnSyncListStructChanged;
    }

2. srylain

srylain

SyncListStructs will only sync to the clients naturally if they are changed on the server I believe. So if you are trying to modify it on a client, it won't send the change to the server and the server won't update all the clients.

3. tinman

tinman

Thanks but I am not trying to modify it from client to server. I just want that when the server changes the list, the callback is called on the server as well.

4. srylain

srylain

I've got no idea then, as it works just fine for me. I have heard about a bug that will make SyncListStructs not work because of the name of the file they're in, so maybe try changing the name of the file a few times to see if that could be it?

5. tinman

tinman

I just want the callback to be calledon the server when the SyncList is changed :)

6. srylain

srylain

Only the server is able to change a SyncListStruct normally, so that should be easy enough to just add another function call in the function you have that changes it.

7. Baroni

Baroni

Sure. But knowing how to workaround that is not the ultimate issue here... If OnStartServer listens to a callback, I expect it to be invoked. Did you file a bug via the bug reporter @tinman so I can vote on it?