Search Unity

Synchronicity - Puzzle Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by lorenalexm, Jun 3, 2015.

1. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

Synchronicity

A puzzle (speed) platformer paying homage to the aesthetics of Mike Bithell's Thomas was Alone and the frustratingly addictive gameplay of Super Meat Boy and the NES/SNES games that we have all spent countless hours playing.

I have been working on building this game over the last 12 months, juggling time between working and making sure not to neglect the family. During this time it has managed to go through two rewrites from the ground up, and I hope that it's finally reached a point worthy of receiving feedback from the community.

While working on the more recent builds of Synchronicity I've strayed away from adding a storyline of any kind, the first iteration of the game tried to include a storyline but in the end it came across as feeling forced as was dropped shortly after. Leaving the whole premise of the game to reach goal as quickly as possible while attempting to minimize level resets (deaths).

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback the community has to offer on Synchronicity in its current state. I apologize in advance, as I am sure there are bugs I have missed, but I'll never be able to find them all without some help - that being said, each level is indeed completable.

Enough rambling on, let's get to the meat of this post:
    • Attached are builds for ever major desktop platform, each containing the same selection of 14 levels from Synchronicity.
    • The game plays with WSAD and Space keys, or better yet with an Xbox or PS3 controller.
    • The player cube is capable of jumping, double jumping and a single wall jump.
    • Tucked within each level is a single bonus objective that can be obtained, but after reaching it you must finish the level without dying; if you die the object resets.
    • You will die and get frustrated.
    • Feedback is very much encouraged.
    • Have fun!

Screenshots:
    002.png 003.png 004.png 005.png 006.png

Downloads:
    Windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9yzlJBBapE7Rjl4eVNZVGxTVk0&authuser=0
    Mac: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9yzlJBBapE7UlAzUGZJZGNtUWM&authuser=0
    Linux: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9yzlJBBapE7M3MtUmQ0OENMT2M&authuser=0

P.s. Due to the way save data is de/serialized, a Webplayer/WebGL build is not available at this time (and may not ever be)

2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Cool game, I like the lighting in it, good job.

One thing I didnt like is to get a wall jump you need to be moving towards the wall not just close to it.

3. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

@RavenOfCode Thank you for taking the time to download and play the demo build I put together.

As for your concern with the wall jumping, the player should be fully capable of preforming this jump with essentially no horizontal velocity. If you are talking in regards to having to have the controller's stick pointed in the direction of the wall at the time of the jump, I toiled over this feature for some time but ultimately it came down to the player needing to make a thoughtful decision to preform the wall jump vs. an automated choice.

Now if I may, I have a few questions to ask of you in regards to your experience playing.

• Where you able to make it through all 14 levels in the demo, if not where did you leave off?
    • Did any of the puzzles come across too easy/hard, please mind roughly the six levels are designed as more of an introduction, and if so which ones?
    • At any point did you feel as if the game had "cheated" you, or was it more of an experience leaving you knowing you could get that jump right the next attempt?
    • What, if anything, would you like to see added/removed/changed?

Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to give Synchronicity a play through, and I would hope to be able to get some more feed back from you soon!

4. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Replys are in red.

5. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback requested @RavenOfCode

I am very curious as to why Norton flagged the build as being a thread, outside of the root application directory the only file being written to is the save game data to the default persistent data path exposed via Unity's API. I understand the request for a WebPlayer being built and with these false positives being thrown, I will look deeper into working out issues with the save game serialization so that one can be built without error.

If I am able to circumvent these issues, I will update the initial post and be sure to let you know.