Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Sync Assets as Needed to Prevent Long Load Times

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by ParadoxSolutions, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

Hello, I have noticed that when Unity launches and we load our project that Unity freezes until collaborate is synced up with the project (At least I assume it is syncing with the project i.e. checking for changes).

I think to get around this that collaborate should only check for changes in assets currently used in the scene that you have open. (I recall hearing that the editor will load assets like this while watching footage from Unite 2016) If something like this was implemented it could cut down on initial load times.

I have had Unity go completely unresponsive on a lower end machine I was testing on while it was syncing up. And about a 1-2 minute freeze on a high end rig.
    (Our project is running Unity 5.4 and is around 11-12GB in size)

However we have not updated to 5.5 so omitting some files from collaborate might solve the problem for us, but this is just my two cents.

2. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the input. We are aware of the performance issues involved with using Collaborate with really big projects, and we are trying hard to improve performance. We usually see the slowest times on the first launch with Collaborate on with improved performance is following launches. In the worst case scenarios with 120k files and 30GB+, we have seen sync times just over 5 minutes, but not much beyond that. That being said, with Unity 5.5 now being officially released, most of our fixes are going to that version as well as the 5.6 beta. I would highly recommend upgrading versions to get the best out of Unity Collaborate.