Search Unity

SymLinks Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by usernameHed, Oct 12, 2020.

1. usernameHed

usernameHed

Hello !
    I would like to share with you my second official tool published on the asset store! This tool allow you to share external data between multiple projects!

This asset solves 2 major problems:

- Sometimes, you really need to have a folder shared between multiple Unity projects. It may be a shared graph folder, or libraries of generic scripts, or even a Framework. But there is no native solution in Unity to do so.

With this tool, I offer you an easly way to create jonction between an external folder and your Unity project. These jonctions can be pushed in a git, or in unity collab. These files are processed as normal folders, and are labelled with a small indicator to know exactly what is, and what is not inside an external folder.

- When you have an external framework shared between multiple projects, the biggest problem you will encounter is the difficulty to differentiate between the files coming from the framework, and those from Unity.

This tool allows you to always know in what type of external framework a file is. In the project panel, or even on a gameObject, the little indicator <=> or * tells if the object you seek is inside an external folder.

- C# scripts avaible
    - Clean code using nameSpace

For the programmer out there you want to see how I made it, I have made a devlog that explain this in detail (with source code):
    http://www.belfiore.ovh/devlogs/symlink/symlink.php

2. radiantboy

radiantboy

I have a lot of problems with my windows having a chinese username, most recently "tundra"..(stops unity building until i swap to a username that isnt chinese) would this tool be able to stop tundra needing to use the path with my chinese username?