Search Unity

Bug SymGetSymFromAddr64 - Build crashes on startup

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jesiebieszczu, Oct 15, 2022.

1. jesiebieszczu

jesiebieszczu

The game build appears to be crashing on some computers on startup (1/5 of the tested machines so far), below attached dump file and few things we already confirmed:

- Build crashes on startup
    - Build runs fine inside the Unity's editor on the same machine
    - Build runs fine on other machines
    - Build crashes on one of the two older machines tested (*it's a 2d project, not too heavy performance wise, inside unity's editor it runs at around 50fps on the same machine)
    - Few different build versions confirmed to be working on other machines produce the same crash as well on the crashing machine
    - Fresh build produces the same result
    - All drivers are installed on the machine / it's a fresh windows 10 install with all updates installed

editor version: 2020.3.28f1

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The crash happens inside the AMD (actually ATI!) graphics driver. Are you sure it's up to date? The dump you attached seems to suggest the driver is 7 years old:
    upload_2022-10-16_23-33-41.png

3. jesiebieszczu

jesiebieszczu

Hi Tautvydas-Zilys,

Thank You for the reply :)

It very likely was(ish*) the most up-to-date version, it's just that the mentioned machine is at least 10 years old (possibly even around 15), hence there weren't any new drivers released in years - I did needed to be able to run it on said device so for now I switched to windows 7, after finding out there was no drivers released for after win 8 (the original problem mentioned in the thread happened with windows 10).

So for the time being I'm gonna roll with the conclusion that the issue was on the drivers not supporting used windows version's side and cross my fingers it's not gonna occur on different machines :)

Thanks again!

P.S.
    Is there any guide on how You guys go through these dump files available online by any chance? I tried analyzing it myself, but could not narrow down what the issue was caused by just by looking at the logs (like You did), would be lovely to be able to do some digging around in the future on my own as well :)

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Well, it's just standard C++ debugging in Visual Studio. Microsoft has a bunch of tutorials for it, but the only way to really get proficient with it is keep debugging with it.

5. qianyijia

qianyijia

Has the problem been solved? I had a similar problem!
    The unity version I use is 2020.3.40, and I used the previous version 2018.4.36 for the same device without this problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022