Search Unity

Symbols missing - Native Crash iOS

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by AllanMSmith, Jul 28, 2017.

1. AllanMSmith

AllanMSmith

Hey,

We have recently started using Performance Reporting with Unity 561 and we have been receiving native crashes, however ALL of them come with "<symbols missing for uuid:...>" in the part of the stack trace that would actually be helpful. Is there a way to get a full stack trace from native crashes? Do I need to use Slow and Safe so I somehow have to crash the game myself?

Performance reporting seem like a great tool, but right now it is not helping us a lot, we know people are crashing from mysterious null references but we have no idea where or how.

Any assistance in this regard would be very useful. If there is some configuration we need to do in our project or whatever it might be to get better stack traces, please let me know.

Best,
    Allan

2. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Allan,

This sounds like the symbol upload process failed for some reason. If you still have the dSYM folder from your build, you can zip them up and send a link to perfsupport@unity3d.com and I can manually upload them for you. Note that it must be from the same build that you want to symbolicate crashes for; it must match the UUID that the dashboard is reporting as missing. We're working on adding a way to upload them through the dashboard, but it's not quite ready yet.

Thanks,

Tom Nicholson
    Unity Performance Reporting

3. AllanMSmith

AllanMSmith

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the quick reply. I do have the dSYM file still, uploading it will change the reports that already happened, or only the ones coming from now on? I don't think I ever uploaded this file manually anywhere, is this something I should have done, and how would I go about it?

Best,
    Allan

4. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

For now, I can manually upload the dSYM for you if you can zip it and post it on a file share somewhere (dropbox or similar). As I mentioned, we're working on adding a way to upload them directly through the dashboard (for when the automatic upload fails), but it's not quite ready yet.

It will only change new reports, but it's likely that they are the same issue(s) as the old ones.

You shouldn't have to upload it manually, as it's supposed to happen automatically in the background when Xcode is finished generating the dSYM. But it seems like this failed in your case. Since it happens in the background, we don't have a good way of informing you of this yet. There is a log at ~/Library/Logs/Unity/symbol_upload.log which might have more information about what went wrong.

5. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

@thomasn_unity

I am having trouble uploading my symbols using the manual upload feature. We use Cloud Build for iOS and I guess it failed to upload our symbols. I downloaded the DSYM from Cloud Build and verified the UUID hash for the symbols is the one that is missing in Performance Reporting. I tried uploading the as-downloaded zip file, and that did not seem to work.

I also tried unzipping the file and uploading the resulting app_name.app.dSYM "file". The web site (in Chrome) reports it uploaded "info.plist" in that case, which is probably not what I wanted. Safari upload doesn't seem to work at all (clicking the "Upload" button does nothing).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

EDIT:
    PS. How long should it take for the uploaded symbols to be reflected in new crash reports?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  6. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

As a follow up. I contacted Unity support and sent them my dSYM zip file as downloaded from Cloud Build. They uploaded it for me and my crashes became symbolicated. They said that my uploads were stuck in a processing state, which is why they were having no effect.

7. Nyankoooo

Nyankoooo

Any idea on how long it takes until the files are processed?

8. mitchmeyer1

mitchmeyer1

@thomasn_unity If I add a dSYM zip file, will it affect only new incoming crash reports or will it apply them to the stack traces of prior reports?