Search Unity

Bug Symbol uploading failing in one machine, working on others

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by jefferson-bitcake, Dec 13, 2022.

1. jefferson-bitcake

jefferson-bitcake

We have our project connected with Cloud Diagnostics, when I build on my machine, or my coworker machine or in *one* of the CI agents we have, the symbol upload seems to work properly, no issues.

However, when I try making a build with our main CI agent, the symbol upload fails in the processing step with this error:

time="2022-12-12T17:43:54-03:00" level=warning msg="Failed to read PDB file <ActualBuildPath_Redacted>\GameAssembly.pdb: Error loading name index: Unsupported PDB deleted bitset is not empty."

Since this only happens in one machine, it looks like I'm missing some cryptic dependency in order to read the PDBs unity generates, but there's no mention of explciti dependencies anywhere and I can't figure out what exactly is missing from the CI machine.

Did anyone already stumble into this and figure out what's wrong? Is there anywhere with a explicit list of requirements for the Cloud Diagnostics upload?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  2. artiszinbergs

artiszinbergs

Hi, I have encountered the same issue as you, and I was banging my head against the table for a long time trying to solve it. However, I managed to fix it by installing the correct version of Visual Studio and ensuring that I didn't have any newer or older versions installed.

In my case, I am using Unity 2021.3.23f1, and initially, I had Visual Studio 2022 installed. However, when I installed this specific version of Unity, it recommended installing Visual Studio 2019 instead of the 2022 version. So, I uninstalled Visual Studio 2022 and performed a full update of Visual Studio 2019. Finally, my symbols started to get uploaded successfully.

Although there is an option to select which Visual Studio the editor uses within the preferences, it wouldn't have helped me with my command line builds.

I hope this information proves helpful to you.

MihaPro_CarX likes this.