Search Unity

Swords and Shovels: where to begin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ptr0x, May 18, 2021.

1. ptr0x

ptr0x

I have found this "Swords and Shovels" tutorial project in Unity Learn pretty interesting as it supposedly teaches how to create a top down RPG.

However this tutorial is not presented as a linear sequence of videos. Each video seem to be somewhat independent from the whole focusing in specific topics.

Assuming I want to build the "Swords and Shovels" from the beginning and only interested in programming how should I take the course? Which video is to be watched first?

2. sxa

sxa

They broke it down into 4 'tracks', one of which is 'fundamentals', the other 3 of which are more discipline-oriented (artist, programmer, designer) as per

https://unity.com/learn/swordsandshovels

So fundamentals track videos in the order listed, if required, then programmer track?

3. ptr0x

ptr0x

Ye I guess, but where can I access those tracks?

4. sxa

sxa

Just google the individual titles and go to the version on Unity Learn, not Pluralsight.

Or dig through the Projects section of Unity Learn

https://learn.unity.com/projects/?k=["lang:en","q:shovels"]&ob=starts

FWIW, the organisation and 'discoverability' of Unity Learn is somewhat impenetrable.

Also; S&S is a bit old; best to make sure you use a version of Unity that matches the tutorials, ie 2018.whateveritis

5. ptr0x

ptr0x

Oh I see, thanks for pointing that.
    I sincerely hate this new unity learn platform. It's hard to find anything I want.
    I was just looking for those project-based programming tutorials but unfortunately I found this brick wall... :(

6. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

7. Valjuin

Valjuin

See this thread: Order in which to do Swords and Shovels course