Search Unity

Sword and Shield Animset Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kubold, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Would you want it to be a more expensive package, with more melee weapons?

1. Yes, add switchable 1 handed swords (no shield), 2 handed swords and spears and increase to $150

50.9%
  2. No, make separate packs for each weapon, I'll merge them to the controller myself

49.1%
  1. Kubold

Kubold

Hi guys!

The Sword and Shield Animset Pro package is already live. I want it to have a forum thread for announcements, support, bug reporting etc. so here it is.

Sword and Shield Animset Pro contains a set of over 120 motion captured animations for characters armed with sword and shield. It also contains a sword fighting game template with "drag and drop" Player and Enemies controllers, made in PlayMaker visual scripting plugin in Unity3d. It works with Unity FREE and Unity PRO.

You need PlayMaker for the controller to work!

If you don't want to use PlayMaker, you can still use all the animations to build your own controller. The animations do not require PlayMaker to work.

All animations are in FBX format, baked on Autodesk HumanIK skeleton (google it, it is used in many many industry standard softwares, including Motionbuilder, Maya and Mixamo), used in all Kubold's animation packages. Animations use Mecanim Humanoid Rig, but can be converted to Generic or Legacy rig. All animations, except platformer jumping, use Root Motion.

Links:

Asset Store - get it now

Web Player - click to test it!

Version 1.0 includes:
    - walking
    - running
    - attacks
    - parrys, blocks
    - hits
    - counters
    - deaths
    - knockdowns
    - falling
    - jumping (platformer style)
    - getting up
    - equip/unequip sword

Included models:
    - dummy character
    - sword (4K textures: Diffuse, Normal, Specular)
    - shield (4K textures: Diffuse, Normal, Specular)

Included prefabs:
    - Player
    - Enemy (AI, Navigation, combat)
    - health pack

Tutorials so far:

Plans for version 1.1:
    - better shield block animations
    - directional hit reactions
    - adjustable camera distance with scrollwheel

Have fun! :)
    Kubold
    www.kubold.com

Cogent and Orion_C like this.
  2. blackbird

blackbird

can you add some magic like spells etc ?

3. Kubold

Kubold

With sword and shield in both hands? Not really.

I could add some working prefabs like traps though.

blackbird likes this.
  4. blackbird

blackbird

cool how about to put the sword and shield in the back like in legend of zelda or pushing obstacles ?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    eridani likes this.
  5. Kubold

Kubold

Sure, but you will need a full unarmed animation set for that. Like Movement Animset Pro :)

6. Kubold

Kubold

Anyway, check out the 1.1 update (coming in a week or so):

I also managed to run it on Unity 5 beta 18, using Playmaker 1.8 beta. Lot's of "beta" in both, so it required 30 minutes of bugfixing and restoring some data that was lost during conversion form Unity 4.6. Unfortunately, I can't include it in the package, because it's either Unity5 or Unity 4.6. Can't be both at the moment, the engines are too different (for example Mecanim Graph loses transitions on conversion :/).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Unity 5 also seems to have increased bloom quite a bit.
    These animations have some of the best recoil and death sequences I've seen (the dramatic way the soldier is knocked backwards by sword blows, and thrown to the ground), which is crucial for realism. It reminds me of "Chivalry".

8. Kubold

Kubold

Unity 5 doesn't have increased bloom. It's just I didn't care to tweak it, it's my fault, not Unity's :)

9. goldencruz

goldencruz

this is by far the best melee kit I seen in unity but I like to see more info on how it work or maybe it just me being new to play maker anyone else finding hard to change things.

10. Kubold

Kubold

Well. there are only two options. Either the controller is simple to undrestand, but it's... well, simple. So like just walking and 1 attack and no enemies. Or the controller is more difficult to understand, because it's complex (and it has all the goodies like enemies with AI, navigation, parrys and counters, combos and adjustable wall-proof camera).

Now, I don't think my controller is that difficult, if you know even just a little bit playmaker. If you watch beginners level tutorials from their page, you should be able to figure it out. I keep the FSMs nice, clean and readable, like this:

So, those are like scripts, but undrestandable for artists :D

I also started making some tutorials to get you started: http://www.kubold.com/?page_id=498

11. SkullKing

SkullKing

I am happy with my purchase, the animations are well done. However i would like to make some constructive criticism.

1: Since this is a sword and shield animset, the absence of thrusting/lunging attacks is conspicuous. It is a basic and important form of attack.

2: I think there really should be an animation where the character, Firmly blocks with his shield without losing ground or getting staggered. Since like the character uses his sword to block despite having a shield and even when he is defending he is very shaken and knocked back by the attack. I intend to use the parry/block animation, for partially successful defenses, and make my custom one for successful blocks.

3: in many animations, specially “Sword_attack_R” the character seem to not be properly aware of his shield: He attacks as if he wasn´t hoding it. The same way a boxer needs to keep his other hand up when punching, a shield user should always keep his shield in a protective position, even when not focused on defending with it.

4: I think the character´s center of mass sways a bit too much, hi bends his back forward to much, especially in “Sword_Attack_RLL”, and the character looks down a lot instead of keeping his eyes forward. This last one will be a moot problem to me personally, since I intend to use IK for the Head.

The last two do not mean that the character is badly animated, I got the impression you animated very well a character that does not fight so well. I believe everything I pointed regarding fighting form are relatively common mistakes for those who practice sword fighting ( I understand in game animation sometimes exaggerated movements help the visual communication, but I still think my points are valid).

Overall a good asset with a fair price, and I got exactly what was advertised.

12. Kubold

Kubold

Thanks, this is a solid feedback. I agree with you in all the points, although some of this things are because/for a reason.

1. I think thrusting always look bad in games, unless it's a synchronised finisher, that kills the enemy. So I just didn't make thrusts. It's nonsense, when you clearly see, that the blade pierced an enemy all the way thrugh, but the enemy still lives. And if it's not synced animation, the blade moves inside the enemy's body, like through a hologram.

2. You are right there. I'm not quite happy with blocking either and I'll try to do something with it.

3 and 4. Hiring a HEMA trained actor is too expensive, so I acted out the moves myself, like I do in all my anim packages. I trained swordfighting for an hour, and those are the results :). I could hire a pro fighter, but the price of the pack would have to be $200 to give me a return on investment. Nobody would buy it then, too expensive. So we end up having amateur swordfighting for amateur price of $65, but in a professional mocap studio. Remember, most of my clients are indies, mostly students and "after work" hobbyists, from all around the world. $65 is usually way more than they can spend. In conclusion - I can't really do anything about it, unless a professional, experienced HEMA fighter agrees to act for free. Some guys would even do that, but when they hear, it's for a set of animations for sale, they change their mind. Bussiness is bussiness...

Anyway, great solid feedback, thanks :)

13. SkullKing

SkullKing

1 Fair enought, I don´t agree but I see your point.

3 and 4, once again, fair enought, and if that is you with 1-hour training that is quite good, congratulations.

I think you could find some HEMA practioners willing to do Mokap, in exchange for the animatioins to use in their own projects, and analise their own technique, but I can see how it wouldn´t be worthy the time.

just to make it clear, I knew exactly what I was buying and am quite satisfied with the package

14. NITO90

NITO90

Hi guys! Hello Kubold!

Im new to Unity and before i purchase this fantastic animset i have a few questions, i hope someone can answer me.
    01 about Playmaker( i know this isnt the playmaker forum) I have very little knowledge about playmaker, and i read that the controllers and lots of stuff is created by Playmaker in this Asset, and that we can create prototypes with it.. it is possible creating a full game only with Playmaker, without any ,,real,, scripting?
    02 is it possible (and how hard) to add an inventory system to this Asset? with playmaker, and without it?
    03 are there stats in this Asset? like: health, stamina, sword damage, shield blocking percentage?
    04 is it possible (and how hard) to create a stamina-drain when attacking, and when the shield is up?
    05 is it possible (and how hard) to create and add new weapon types? like two handed, spear.
    06 if i buy this and there are any update to this asset how can i get it? and can i get it?
    07 if there will be a new package, the ones who bought this have to buy that in full price?

Im sorry for my (maybe very obvious) questions, and thank you for your answers!

15. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,

01. Yes. Playmaker is f..g awesome :)
    02. It's as easy as your skill in making games, basically. But if you are completly unexperienced, learning Playmaker is waaaay easier then learning to code.
    03. There is health and stamina (for blocking). There's also a kill counter (how many dudes you killed do far). Different sword damages will be added in future updates. Right now 1 hit takes 1 health point, if we're talking pure mechanics.
    04. Very easy (but you have to at least do basic playmaker tutorials, you simply can't do anything with pure zero knowledge). You loose stamina every time you block, so just look at the raph nodes and copy-paste this mechanism to attack or shield holding nodes.
    05. This one is hard. Not for me, but if you are new to Unity/programming/playmaker, you'll have a very hard time with this. And of course you'll need all the animations for other types of weapons.
    06. Future updates are free, if you own the package. If there is an update, "Import" button will change to "update" button on the Asset Store.
    07. I'm not sure what you mean. I guess you wanted to ask if the updates for THIS package are free? Yes, they are. But completly new, separate packages are not. So, if I release a spear, or bow pack, you will have to buy them separately, because those are separate products. And after you buy them, all the updates for them will be for free.

Cheers,
    Jakub

16. NITO90

NITO90

Hello I finally purchased this asset and playmaker but i have few errors:

01: Assets/SwordShieldAnimsetPro/PlaymakerAdditional/PlayMaker Animator/Actions/AnimatorPlay.cs(9,22): error CS0101: The namespace `HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions' already contains a definition for `AnimatorPlay'

02: Assets/SwordShieldAnimsetPro/PlaymakerAdditional/PlayMaker Animator/Actions/SetAnimatorTarget.cs(10,22): error CS0101: The namespace `HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions' already contains a definition for `SetAnimatorTarget'

and several Fbx warnings:
    ImportFBX Warnings:
    File contains 1 (out of 76) nodes with Scale Compensation. Scale Compensation is not supported by Unity (because it works differently in 3dsMax and Maya). This might result in scale imported incorrectly, if this happens try disabling Scale Compensation in your file. The list of nodes that could be affected: Head.

Thanks your answer!

17. Kubold

Kubold

The two errors come from playmaker 1.7 being a little outdated. 1.8 is coming very soon. Just delete those 2 files:

Assets/SwordShieldAnimsetPro/PlaymakerAdditional/PlayMaker Animator/Actions/AnimatorPlay.cs
    Assets/SwordShieldAnimsetPro/PlaymakerAdditional/PlayMaker Animator/Actions/SetAnimatorTarget.cs

and it will be fixed. I'll delete those on my side too and update the pack.

Fbx scale warning is something you have to live with, I simply don't know if anything can be done about it and it doesn't affect anything.

EDIT: Hmm... I couldn't reproduce those errors. They don't appear in my Unity, so I'm not deleting those... From what I see in the error, it seems that you have those files duplicated somewhere. Anyway, the fix is the same - delete them.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. imtrobin

imtrobin

actually I prefer controller without playmaker. If you make that, instant purchase for me

19. Kubold

Kubold

I won't make that, I can't code, sorry.

20. imtrobin

imtrobin

oh, I see.

21. Kubold

Kubold

I'll say that again - playmaker rulez. I can make games, though I can't code.

22. jaelove

jaelove

Is your game aliens and dragons done entirely in playmaker?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  23. Kubold

Kubold

You got the title wrong (I should really change it to "The Planet" or "Preserve" or something), but yeah. Not a single script in it, all playmaker.

24. jaelove

jaelove

Sorry that's all I could remember from the title. It's super impressive anyway very professionally done and very inspiring .

25. Kubold

Kubold

That's exactly why I should change it. Maybe when I release some new footage

26. jaelove

jaelove

Yeah I can't wait for the expanded pack with single sword and 2 hand sword setups :)

27. nitoh

nitoh

Hello Kubold!

Your asset is really fantastic! And thanks your previous answers, all errors are gone.

Although i found a bug with your playmaker-controller, i dont know if you are aware of that or not. I hope you are, and can tell me the solution.
    The bug occurs in a small% (but its annoying) when you are pressing WA at the same time (also when you are just pressing W) and attacking, and the enemy blocks it, your character stucks in a state, where you cant attack for a few seconds,or until you keep clicking. Although in the MovementFMS, combo1 and combo2, combo3 states are played, but there is no animation.

If you are not aware of this bug, i can make a video, and maybe you can tell me what the problem is.

Thanks your answer!

28. Kubold

Kubold

Hmm... I'm actually not aware of it. I'll test and get back to you.

EDIT: Ok, I'm not able to reproduce. Please send the video to kuboldgames@gmail.com with exactly how to repro. I'm pressing W and A and attacking, enemy blocks, everything works normally...?

29. nitoh

nitoh

Thank you Kubold!
    I sent the video to your email adress.

30. Kubold

Kubold

Thanks to nitoh the problem was solved (he basically found and fixed the bug) in upcoming version 1.12. Thanks again nitoh!

31. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Just got this package! Amazing :)
    I also sow "movement animset pro" your product, that I'd like to buy. and somehow merge two... :) (one for exploring another for fighting) maybe you can make a tutorial how to do that? its good for business people buy one package and then buy all other packages to mix and match what they like ;)

thanks!

32. jaelove

jaelove

Hey Kubold do you know when this asset will be compatible with Unity 5?

33. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

its works in U5

34. Becoming

Becoming

Hey just wanted to congratulate you on these fantastic animations, unfortunately i have currently no use for them but still, i admire your work and will probably soon find some use for your other animation set :)

35. Kubold

Kubold

Thank you!

36. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

I just bought this last night, and swapped out the placeholder anims for my 1H/1H-Shield trees with these and it looks great as usual. However, two things:

Is there any way you could tweak walk back / strafe right? In walk back weapons will clip the shield and in strafe right they come awfully close. You can partly see this happening in your own demo, if you block and back up, although you are blocking in this case, so it is not a perfect comparison.

37. Kubold

Kubold

I'll take a look. I the meantime a quickest solution would be:

a) rotating the sword couple of degrees in the hand in the editor

or

b) tuning down the additive blocking layer value

or

c) adjusting you character's Avatar t-pose. Many devs don't know this, but Unity retargeting is not 1:1. It is based on the animation's Avatar t-pose position vs. the target's Avatar t-pose position. You can adjust the t-pose as you like, as far as it resembles a t-pose. So, for example, if your Avatar has more rised arms, than the animation's Avatar, all the animations will have arms more rised.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  38. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

I will take a look at what you suggest. Note: my characters are UMA characters at the default DNA. I am not using any of your playmaker stuff. I just use the anims. If you just eyeball those two animations it looks pretty clear the weapon will come awfully close to the shield. It would be easier if the anims had a little wiggle room for a weapon outside of the model you are using to prototype. For example: I have been testing with a slightly thicker mace. I can tweak the mounted positions of my weapons a bit more, but they look pretty perfectly lined up to me in his hand, and a few more degrees one way or the other will not prevent clipping.

I own, and have integrated, every one of your animation sets and this one might be my favorite from an aesthetic standpoint.

Now, just need 1H-no shield / 2H / maybe spears (or even dual wield). Get on it :)

39. Kubold

Kubold

Chill, I said I'll take a look (and fix if necessary) :). I use those animations in my own game too, I want them to be good.

40. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Haha, the fixes are low priority. No rush on those. I was referring to creating more animation packs..

41. goldencruz

goldencruz

has anyone managed to incorporate the unsheathe and sheath correctly.

42. Kubold

Kubold

Yes, me, in my game :D

I don't code, but generally:

1. Sword should be parented to the Hips bone
    2. When you play unsheathe, you re-parent the sword to the prop bone and use iTween to smoothly move it's local position and rotation to 0,0,0 (in very short time - you can skip this step, but you likely will see a little twitch, that will come from blending if you skip the iTween)

When sheathing you do the same, but in opposite order.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  43. Kubold

Kubold

1 handed sword set (no shield). Work in progress... Almost all anims are baked to skeleton now. First 1/3 of the video is finished ones, the rest is yet to be polished. Video doesn't show all the anims in this pack.

44. Zultron

Zultron

Hey Kubold just curious if you be coming out with other packs i.e Bows, two handed, spears or nothing planned for future?

45. Kubold

Kubold

Exactly, two handed, spears and then maybe bows.

46. Kubold

Kubold

47. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi kublod

I just buy your sword and shield animation pack.
    here are my questions:
    after import this pack into my project which allready installed your sword animset pro[no shield] pack.
    there are some red errors shows.
    ' navmesh asset format has changed , please rebake the navmesh data.'
    and also show a script error. after delete the script in script floder, the error gone.
    while in the play mode of the platformer scene, while player jumping, the player suck there when he fall.
    and the console show red error, field 'grounded' defined on type 'character motor' is not a field on the target object which is of type 'character motor'
    after import this pack into my project which allready installed your sword animset pro[no shield] pack.
    and play the test scene, the player and enemy have no shield equiped. the characters show no shield.
    I tried import the pack into another project which without your sword animset pro installed. and it worked with shield.
    while playing the test scene, when player attack, it looks like enemy usually use sword to block, but not use shield to block.
    how to make enemy only use shield to block?
    I hope your 2 hand sword animset pack coming soon.

48. Kubold

Kubold

Hi

1. Please rebake Navmesh data to fix it (go to Navigation and then click Bake). You did not mention what script are you talking about, I would need to know the name of the script you deleted to tell you if it's ok or not...

2. Something probably went wrong when you merged the packs and one of the characters lost the character motor script. See point 3 below:

3. Merging the packages by importing them on top of each other, straight from the asset store is a bad idea, because the pack importer overwrites assets with the same name (even if they are in different folders). The best idea to merge both packs, is to import them to SEPARATE projects, and then MANUALLY copy the files from one project to another in WINDOWS. This way nothing will be overwritten. And important thing - delete the "AdditionalPlayMakerActions" folder from ONE of the packages, so the scripts won't double.

4. You need to modify the controller if you want different design. Simplest solution would be just go to Mecanim graph and drag and drop shield blocking animations in place of sword blocking animations.

5. Coming soon :)

Cheers

49. Kubold

Kubold

Actually in case of Sword and Shield Animset Pro and Sword Animset Pro, it's even easier to merge them in 1 controller.

The controllers are the same.

You just need to go to Mecanim graph (Animator window), and create a float called "weaponNumber". Then, make every animation State in the graph a little Blend Tree, that uses this float variable to blend between Sword and Shield animation and Sword animation.

So for example "WalkFwd" animation state in mecanim becomes a blend tree that has "Sword_WalkFwd" and "1hSword_WalkFwd" inside. You can then change weapons using weaponNumber float.

50. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi Kublod

the script i deleted is a :
    cursorlockhide.cs :error, the namespace global allready contain a definition for cursorlockhide.
    and i found 52 error about playmaker fsm today, it shows:
    enemy1hsword:aifsm event is not marked global.
    today i import the sword and shield animset pack into another project without the other anim pack installed, the character still sucked while falling after jump, in platformer test scene.
    tried import these 2 pack into 2 separate project, the test scene in sword and shield animset floder still show no shield. but this time i noticed the player character in the test scene was be replaced by the dummy[only equitpt sword, no shield] in the sword[no shield] floder.

I tried to make my own fresh new controller use your animations. but end with 1 question.

after add some attack animations in my mecanim controller then press play, during in playmode, red error shows in console:
    challenger_prefab1[this is my player model] animationevent 'sendevent' has no receiver! are you missing a component?
    it showed when the attack animation performing. your idle, run,etc animation worked well, but most attack animations[in your 2 packages] show that error when playing in playmode. the attack animations played[can enter playmode], but console said that error, i'm afraid my project can't be build. what that error means and how to fix it?