Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching solo game to multiplayer. Now or later?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by AxlJones, May 3, 2020.

1. AxlJones

AxlJones

Hello everyone,

Im currently working on a small 3d survival game. Everything is going buttery smooth except my goal is to implement mp in the future. However, as of right now, i have a limited multiplayer knowledge.

Should I stop everything im doing and focus on learning mp before going further?

As unet is btotally deprecated, I'm a bit lost there.

Thanks in advance

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

It's easier if you do it now.
    Converting a singleplayer game to multiplayer is not easy. It's definitely easier if you do multiplayer from day one.

As for UNET being deprecated, check out Mirror - which is our UNET community fork with thousands of improvements.

AxlJones and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Generally, pretty much every system in your game has to integrate networking in some manner. So you're choosing to integrate networking from the beginning into every system, or later redesign every system to add networking. I agree with @vis2k that it is easier to integrate networking from the beginning.

AxlJones, g_a_p and mischa2k like this.
  4. AxlJones

AxlJones

Thank you guys. I will hold on the dev of my game until i learn basic networking.

I'll give Mirror a shot as I love open source but I heard it is pretty hard compared to solutions like "photon" and such.

5. JoNax97

JoNax97

Just to give another perspective: is your main goal/focus the product itself or your learning process? if it's the product, the comments above are absolutely right.

But if you want to make the most out of the learning process, I would suggest not adding another layer of difficulty right now. You can complete your game as SP and then re-iterate as MP. Yes is double the work but you can focus on learning one thing at a time.