Search Unity

Switching Project Ids with Scripting

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by SimonOliver, May 17, 2016.

1. SimonOliver

SimonOliver

Hi,

We've got a single Unity project that outputs a number of different applications (different bundle ids), but currently it seems that there's no easy way of modifying cloudProjectId (its set as read only). We need to modify this at build time to switch project ids for analytics etc, otherwise the various builds can't be automated.

What is the best way to do this? I've tried using reflection but get "
    EditorOnlyPlayerSettings property cloudProjectId::cloudProjectId not inititalized. Please initialize it using corresponding PlayerSettings.InitializeProperty function!"

Thanks,
    Simon

2. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @SimonOliver,

Unfortunately, we don't currently have a way to change project id's via code. Can I ask that you add this as a suggestion (or vote on the idea if it already exists) on our feedback page? I've seen this feature request before, but it's good to have it's popularity documented on the feedback page, since this is what we look at when trying to decide what new features to implement. Here's the link to the page: https://feedback.unity3d.com/forums...f8=✓&status=0&category=analytics&view=hottest

3. SimonOliver

SimonOliver

Ok, thanks for letting me know - will add this.

4. Foriero

Foriero

Hi Erica, we need this feature as well. we have eight apps that we are producing from one unity project. Simple API like SwithProject(id) would be really helpful.

erika_d likes this.
  5. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Foriero,

Thanks for that information and use case! I will make note of that, and I would suggest creating an idea for it on the feedback page linked above. Right now the only one I see is for changing it at runtime, which is a bit different from build time which is what I believe you're describing. Having your use case documented there would be very useful.

6. Foriero

Foriero

Hi, if I can change it from code in runtime then it is enough. Can you provide us link or sample code?

Thanks, Marek.

7. erika_d

erika_d

8. kodekq

kodekq

Please write if there have been any changes since 2016?

9. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid we have not opted to make this a feature or development priority.

10. kodekq

kodekq

Ok( Thanks for answer.

11. jekill

jekill

I understand that this is quite difficult to do in runtime. But can it be done in build time?

12. Foriero

Foriero

Yes please build time would be really helpful.

13. TS-Trooper

TS-Trooper

Hi @kodekq , @Foriero , @jekill,
    About a year and some ago I was trying to achieve this as well.
    Back then I stumbled upon
    https://github.com/DragonBox/gists/blob/master/Assets/UnityUtils/Editor/UnityConnectUtils.cs

It has been working quite nicely.
    Until recently. Somehow it does not always do the switch correctly. For us this is a problem, because we build the project in batchmode.
    When I have Unity open and I use it though it works nice.
    I thought you might like it as well.

Also, if you happen to find a fix for the switch not always switching correctly (at least in batchmode) please let me know how I'd be able to fix it.

14. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

is there any update with Unity 2019.x ?
    how can we use Unity Analytics with multiple apps from the same project?

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry there is no API that I'm familiar with. Can you elaborate? The Analytics dashboard is associated with the ProjectID. Multiple projectIDs would have multiple Dashboards. If you are considering multiple apps with one projectID, what is your plan to keep them separate? Would these be separate apps on the Google developer dashboard, each with their own revenue stream?

16. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

we have a big (even opensource) project ( https://www.antura.org ) from which we build 7 different apps, with their own bundle id and store presence (for example one teaches arabics, another teaches english, another french.. we have some particular editions for foundations etc)

in our case we don't have IAP nor complex things.. we are using the Unity Cloud Builder for everything (with custom cunfigs) but we would really like to separate the Unity Analytics changing the project id at build time.. we could do it manually (unlinking and relinking another project)..
    we have used Google Analytics forst, then Firebase, then Facebook Analytics.. but now we would like to use Unity for everything.. but we have this obstacle with the Unity Analytics ids!

thank you

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Given a single ProjectID, how would you keep the apps separate in your reporting? Number of users per day, etc. All 7 apps would share the same Analytics data and would show as one app in the Dashboard. Perhaps that doesn't matter to you, but I wanted to point it out.

18. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

we want to CHANGE ProjectID at build time.. so to assign each "edition" of our game its own analytics and stuff.
    we have one Unity Repository for 7 independent App editions...

Serhii-Horun likes this.
  19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Ah, clearly. I see what you mean. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. One approach I might suggest would be to start with a new project, and take a snapshot of the file structure in the project after Saving. Then change the ProjectID link in the Services window, then go back and see which files may have changed. Not entirely elegant and no API, but you may be able to edit the files during your build process. You may have to first generate 7 ProjectID's this way, so each has their own Dashboard.

Energy0124 and Endahs like this.
  20. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

thank you.
    we are going to create a Unity Project for every published edition on the Store... and manually relink the correct one when building an edition.
    if you plan to allow to "switch" easily, maybe by preBuildProcess, the UnityId, even better!!!
    thank you

21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Were you able to test my suggestion? It would be a scriptable workaround in the meantime, if so.

22. Foriero

Foriero

Same issue here. We export from one Unity Project 15 apps. I would definitely welcome some official solution. :)

Serhii-Horun likes this.
  23. GustavNinja

GustavNinja

24. Serhii-Horun

Serhii-Horun

Yeah, we need the same!
    We have an app and we use different staging servers. So, we want to be able to send analytics to different dashboards depends on server environment which we have connected(production, stage, testing and so on)

25. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The previous post looks like a possible solution

Serhii-Horun likes this.
  26. Endahs

Endahs

Ooh, we so need this too. We have a common Unity project that acts as a platform for our individual games. At build time we include only the relevant game assets + all the common platform code and assets to make the game. We have been able to automate everything except for unlinking and relinking the project to the correct Unity Dashboard Project.

I followed @JeffDUnity3D 's suggestion above, comparing in Git the project before and after unlinking + relinking the project. Only two files were changed:

ProjectSettings/ProjectSetting.asset, under "cloudServicesEnabled" it added (probably because I didn't set the projects in dashboard to have same services enabled):

Build: 0
    Collab: 0
    ErrorHub: 0
    Hub: 0

ProjectSettings/UnityConnectSettings.asset, it changed only one line:

cloudProjectID: (old ID changed to new ID)

Worth looking into. Could easily make these changes with C# File methods. Not sure Unity would react if you changed those files in file system when Unity was still open.

Here's the only available Unity API I could find for accessing the projectID, unfortunately it's all read only and I haven't found any Unity API that allows you to write to/change it: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CloudProjectSettings.html

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  27. frankadoriv

frankadoriv

Hi guys! i want to confirm that the following code is working on batch mode:

Code (CSharp):
    2. private static Boolean SetProjectID(string projectID,string projectName){
    3.                 const string ProjectSettingsAssetPath = "ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset";
    4.                 SerializedObject projectSettings = new SerializedObject(UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.LoadAllAssetsAtPath(ProjectSettingsAssetPath)[0]);  
    5.                 SerializedProperty projectIDProp = projectSettings.FindProperty ("cloudProjectId");
    6.                 SerializedProperty projectNameProp = projectSettings.FindProperty ("projectName");
    7.                 projectIDProp.stringValue = projectID;
    8.                 projectNameProp.stringValue = projectName;
    9.                 return projectSettings.ApplyModifiedProperties();
    10.         }

Mankind_games likes this.
  28. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

hi.. what do mean by "batch mode"?

29. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Try it and see? Not sure I quite follow.

30. lorddesu

lorddesu

Seem works fine in editor with IPreprocessBuildWithReport
    At least for Remote Config

31. Stpayne

Stpayne

Can you post your IPreprocessBuildWithReport file? I tried going that route and cannot get that script to execute for the life of me, even when it's in the Editor directory

32. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

Unfortunately this did not work for me. ApplyModifiedProperties() returns true but the project settings don't change. Using Unity 2021.3.11f1

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    MousePods and andersemil like this.