Search Unity

Switching from Mixamo .anims + Locomotion System to Mecanim

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zergling103, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Zergling103

Zergling103

Hi there,

I've been trying to find ways to get our .anim files to work with Mecanim.

Our team, unfortunately, mindlessly splurged hundreds of dollars downloading every possible animation we could need, and to get it working with Mecanim, we have to... rebuy and redownload them all in their new store? Yeah right, buddy.

I was looking through the forums and learned that legacy .anim's will not be retargetable nor will they use IK. Well, that kinda defeats the point of switching them over for us. Our game needs IK extensively, and eventually will support character customization, which could lead to different sized bodies and thus the need for retargeting.

Currently we are using LocomotionSystem, previously downloadable from Unity's site. We used it for animation blending based on character velocity, and to have our characters' feet plant properly on the ground using IK. I also developed my own IK system for getting characters' hands to properly connect with equipped items. Unfortunately these systems (especially mine) do not compare to the functionality provided by Mecanim.

I read also, that the reason for legacy .anim's not being supported fully is that they lack "Muscle definitions", from a reference model. Okay, that's fair, but I'd be happy to supply that information to my .anim files and solve this problem.

So, an overview of the possibilities:

1) Rebuy and redownload hundreds of dollars worth of animations (or at least the ones currently used) from Mixamo in a format that works with Mecanim. NOT AN OPTION.

2) Forget about using Mecanim and instead use our existing animations with LocomotionSystem and my buggy IK implementation. LOUSY OPTION.

3) Forget about using Mecanim and instead use our existing animations with our own rewritten solution that mimics the functionality of Mecanim. LOL, WISH US LUCK!

4) Use Mecanim with Legacy .anim's when support for them becomes available, sans retargeting and IK (a planned feature confirmed by a Unity developer). LOUSY OPTION.

5) Unity provides Mecanim the ability to use Legacy .anims as it would Motion .fbx files using a reference to the Avatar/Model the .anims were originally designed for, allowing .anims to use IK and retargeting as well as Mecanim's other features. Might just work!

6) Mecanim allows us to re-download, free of charge, all of our previously purchased animations in a format that works with Mecanim. Would also work, and might also take less time and effort for Unity to implement.

7) Mixamo refunds for us ALL of the animations we bought from them which might require IK or retargeting (in our case all of them do) so we may rebuy them in the new format. This option is starting to seem better and better...

So yeah, 5, 6 and 7 sound pretty good to me. Any plans on it?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. Zergling103

Zergling103

3. Stefano Corazza

Stefano Corazza

Dear Zergling103,

If you own a bunch of .anim from Unity3.x you are right they are not retargetable using Mecanim, but you can still use Mecanim features such as blend trees etc. leveraging the Legacy solution.
    If you need to retarget these animations to different characters, now or in the future, the best solution may be to purchase Unlimited+
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/6439 which gives you access to the full collection of animations for a year in .anim for Unity4/Mecanim and the ability to own these downloaded animation forever and retarget them to as many characters as you like.
    If you need the actual FBX to access curves and maybe edit them in another software such as Maya or Max, then www.mixamo.com/allaccess may be the best solution, which unlimited use for a year as well plus access to all Mixmao characters and auto-rigging service.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Stefano

4. Zergling103

Zergling103

I'm not interested in making additional purchases unless the existing ones are refunded first. The $750 price tag is quite high to get something that, really, we should of had access to begin with.

5. Zergling103

Zergling103

Would you prefer to discuss this via PM?