Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching from Legacy to Mecanim and progressively loading animations from AssetBundles

Discussion in 'Animation' started by PDXGamer, May 1, 2017.

1. PDXGamer

PDXGamer

Hello - we have a fitness game that has approximately 600 different exercises, with each exercise having 3 animation clips. We've used the legacy animation system so far, but we'd like to move to Mecanim if possible. I'm running into a bit of difficulty replicating the behavior the legacy system with Mecanim, however.

Basically, I want to be able to have a model (our fitness trainer), download AssetBundles containing only the animations we need in a particular workout, attach animations at runtime to that model, and have those animations blend/play. In legacy this was easy, just download the AssetBundle, grab the animation from it, and then AddClip to the Animator component of the fitness trainer. With Mecanim I'm having a hard time seeing how this is done, mostly because there doesn't seem to be a way to add animations at runtime from a newly downloaded AssetBundle into an already existing animation controller.

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? I'm thoroughly stumped if this is even possible.

Thank you.