Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Switching between "sets" of bones (like multiple head rigs)

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by herra_lehtiniemi, Jun 8, 2021.

1. herra_lehtiniemi

herra_lehtiniemi

A software I use for animation (Moho) has a new feature called "Vitruvian bones". You can have multiple skeletons inside a skeleton that you can then switch with corresponding graphics.

See paragraph "Vitruvian bones":
    https://moho.lostmarble.com/pages/features

Example on usage:
    Let's say I have a character with a rigged head. If the character would turn head, from facing left to facing the camera, I could just switch the base bone set and graphics would follow. Now the character would have an alternate head graphic, rigged differently that would fit that angle. Another example is that when an arm is animated from side perspective and the character rotates arm facing the camera. Same rig no longer applies so one could just switch the arm "sub"-rig.

So basically the feature is: rigs inside rigs, each rig rigged to different graphics.

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for sharing this feedback @herra_lehtiniemi
    It feels like a combination of Sprite Skin's Auto Rebind and Sprite Swap would be able to create the outcome you are after. But you would have to pre-create all the Transforms (bones) the character would want to access. For more complex characters, this will most certainly not be a very pleasant environment to animate in either.

We'll take this feedback into consideration when planning future versions of 2D Animation.

We have recently added a new place to submit feature requests, the Unity Roadmap. Here is the 2D roadmap where you can submit other feature requests to improve the current 2D feature set.