Search Unity

Resolved Switching animations of a single dormant object

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Josiah_Ironclad, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Josiah_Ironclad

Josiah_Ironclad

I've been at this for like 2 hour, searching, trial-and-error'ing. I cannot figure out how this is meant to work.

I have:
    1 GameObject, 2 Sprites (sword, shovel), 2 Animations (each using the appropriate sprite).

The GameObject's sprite is changed based on what item is equipped (with number keys 1 and 2). When I press LMB, I set animator parameters to trigger the appropriate transition. But I have absolutely no clue how to actually do the nodes in the controller. I tried "Any State" node transitioning into both animation nodes, I tried the same with the "Entry" node. And I don't think making every animation transitioning into every other one would be a good idea. I tried playing around with each transition's settings, turning exit time on/off, setting fixed duration, etc.

I just need the animator to not do anything pretty much, until I press LMB, and then run the correct animation. Any time I worked with characters, I'd just have the Entry node transition into an idle animation even if that was just a single solid frame, but that won't work here since I can't be sitting on an idle sword animation when I have a shovel equipped, and vice versa.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  2. Josiah_Ironclad

Josiah_Ironclad

Omg, I got it working!!!
    I feel like such a freaking moron! I am so sorry for taking up space with this useless thread. I completely forgot you can just play animations willy nilly through code and they don't need to have transitions.