Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Switched from Unity 2017 to 2019: No editor within Unity package

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by John6Cooper8, Sep 14, 2019.

1. John6Cooper8

John6Cooper8

Hi, i used Unity 2017 with several small projects and for the .cs code i used the builtin editor from Unity. There i got syntax highlight, code completion (i can see all my variables), and so on.

After reinstalling i installed Unity Hub and Unity 2019. But now i have no builtin editor any more. As a test, i installed brackets which works fine with syntax highlight, but without using the API there is no code completion.

Is there any trick to have brackets working with Unity? Is there another editor i can use (Visual Studio might be a solution but only for the Editor exe??)

Is it possible to get only the old editor? Otherwise i switch back to Unity 2017...

Thanks for any help.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We have never had a builtin editor for scripts. It sounds like you were using a third party tool for this, maybe you need to install it into the project you are using? I would suggest you try Visual Studio.

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Seems to me maybe MonoDevelop was still around back then and I remember it used to get installed and set up be default. The easiest solution is to let the 2019 installer give you Visual Studio, and then use that. For most people it is more than enough.

4. Adien22

Adien22

Was MonoDevelop not part of Unity back when it was just Unity 4 and 5? I thought it was built it

5. Adien22

Adien22

MonoDevelop is no longer part of Unity as of 2018 I think. Visual Studio Community is better anyways. It should have been automatically downloaded with the 2019 package. If not, you can go to the VS community website and download it

karl_jones likes this.
  6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Monodevelop was never part of unity, we just bundled the installer in with the download. Now we give you the option of Visual studio instead. You can still download monodevelop if you want to use it, it's now called xamarian.

Adien22 likes this.
  7. John6Cooper8

John6Cooper8

Sorry for the confusion, with Unity Hub i reinstalled the version 2017 and then i saw that there is a monodevelop checkbox during the installation. I thought that this editor is part of unity. Either i will use 2017 again or the 2019 version; i am used to the monodevelop editor, i will probably stick to the old one.

The only problem left is the code completion: When i load my project with unity 2017, within mondevelop i got code completion. When i reimport my project with unity 2019, i can load my files into the editor, but without code completion. That is due to the fact that unity does not support monodevelop anymore, isn't?

Thanks for your replies...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019