Search Unity

"Switch workspace to this changeset" vs "Go back to changeset"

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by RARgames, May 26, 2022.

1. RARgames

RARgames

What is the difference between "Switch workspace to this changeset" and "Go back to changeset"?
    I cannot figure it out because everytime I try to "Switch workspace to this changeset" this message appears: "An unexpected error has occurred."
    Also how can I debug such error?
    upload_2022-5-26_16-33-0.png

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @RARgames, the Switch and Go Back To options were added to create feature parity with Collaborate, which had the same options. Here is how the two options differ:
    • "Switch to Changeset" switches your workspace to that changeset, reverting all changes in your project to how they were in that changeset. This is useful for getting a glimpse of how your project at this point differed from other changesets. You can then either switch back to the latest changeset or update to grab all incoming changes to revert back to the newest state of your workspace and continue working. This option cannot be used if you have pending changes unless you either commit them or shelve them using the Plastic SCM client.
    • "Go Back to Changeset" allows you to undo changes you don't want to keep. It creates a new changeset that skips all the changes between the latest and selected changeset, undoing those changes that might have broken your project or that you don't feel are necessary.
    As for that error you're getting, you're right that it isn't very helpful. Can you tell me if you have any pending changes, whether you get the same message regardless of which changeset you try to switch to, and which Editor and Version Control version you're on?

rosco_y and RARgames like this.
  3. RARgames

RARgames

Hey,
    I didn't have any pending changes.
    I got the same message regardless of the cset.
    Unity 2020.3.23f1
    Version Control 1.15.18

However, I've just fixed the issue by either: reinstalling the Plastic App, redownloading affected projects, turning off Plastic SCM for Unity and switching it back on, or doing something else...

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  4. anthonyjamesgirdler

anthonyjamesgirdler

@Ryan-Unity
    Your distinction between "Switch workspace to this changeset" and "Go back to changeset" didn't work for me.
    Can you please try again ?...maybe use an example workflow or some pretty pictures.

What I think you said:
    • "Switch workspace to this changeset" == revert your local unity project to how it was at a saved previous point in time (saved previous point in time == changeset). In other words...undo changes you don't want that broke your game.
    • "Go Back to Changeset" == undo changes you don't want that broke your game.

Those seem like exactly the same thing to me.
    Please try again for the dummies in the class.

Bean_std_nt likes this.