Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

switch reticle pointer between VR and 2D

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by mhyder1, Jan 13, 2020.

1. mhyder1

mhyder1

Hi,

Can anyone help me implement this in my game? The game is in VR and basically on a keypress (right now being 'd') a player can have a UI/console/2D canvas pop up that acts as a map almost. The entire VR game, a reticle pointer is used to interact with the environment. The reticle pointer is basically at the center of the screen and moves with the player.

However, what I am trying to achieve is, when the UI/console/2D map pops up upon the keypress, I want the VR aspect to halt/freeze and the player be able to use the reticle pointer to move around on the map. Basically when the key 'd' is pressed, the map pops up and the player is now interacting solely with the map using the reticle pointer. When the player presses 'd' again, the map will disappear and the player can go back to the main VR game environment and interact with objects.

The main thing right now is...the reticle pointer moves with the player's movements (gyroscopes). When the map appears, I would like to keep that movement as well but only on the map and not the main game environment.