Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sweet arse" water

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Mar 15, 2007.

1. awesome181

awesome181

yes please!

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Here's updated shaders so it works in 2.0. With the caveat that I didn't have Pro with 1.6 so I'm not sure if it's the same. Looks cool though....

--Eric

Attached Files:

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Awesome, thanks!!

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The conversion was a bit quick&dirty, sorry...I uploaded new versions which are tweaked a bit. Mostly the reflection was a little off at some angles (fixed) and I removed the unused properties. There are still some things I'm not sure about, but like I said it looks nifty, so hey....

--Eric

5. bakno

bakno

I just found this thread when looking for a water splash effect. I have to say that it is really awesome. Yoggy, you are a natural born genius!!!

I was wondering if it is possible to use your creation on a bigger water plane, like the Island Demo for instance. I tried to replace it but it does not look realistic because waves get so big that they are almost imperceptible.

6. showoff

showoff

yea this is really awesome but I am having problems with the Plane that has the HeatBumpRender(render to texture) on it. If you look at the image below the plane distorted everything behind it. I thought this heat wave was to only distort the particles to make them look like a heat wave.

Attached Files:

7. Discord

Discord

I think it looks like that because you don't have any actual fire particles there. If there was a fire in the middle of the distortion, you wouldn't really notice that everything behind it was distorted as well, it would just be distorted on the sides of the fire.

8. showoff

showoff

No I dont think its there because the particle wasn't playing. see below. its still there.

Attached Files:

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Maybe the background color on the particle rendertexture camera is wrong. I will investigate the project.

10. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Check the fire render texture.. does it look like a normal map? I'm betting the colors are wrong or it is corrupted or something.

Also bakno wanted to have the camera and texture scroll so that you can have an infinite water plane. Well here is a new and improved version of the project for 2.0, with infinite water plane:

http://yogware.bluegillstudios.com/RTTNormalMaps2.zip

11. showoff

showoff

Im not sure what it is but I open up that new zip file you just upload and im still getting the same problem. I also had to export out the blend files to fbx. my unity editor keeps freezing up anytime i try to open up a project that has blend files in them.

Attached Files:

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Everything in the new folder works fine here on my older iMac. Nice work Forrest. :)

13. bakno

bakno

Thank you very much Yoggy!

14. showoff

showoff

o yea im using a pc not a mac. pc specs are windows pro 64bit, 4gb of ram, duel 3.2 xeon, nvidia geforce gx2.

15. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

showoff: Assets/Heat/HeatBumpRender.rendertexture

Click on it while you are running the fire scene. If it looks like this, the shader is the source of the problem. If it doesn't, perhaps your layers are messed up and the bump render camera is rendering the whole scene or using the wrong background color.

16. showoff

showoff

Forest this is what i have.

The first one is the camera that the HeatBumpRender.rendertexture is target to

The second one is the HeatBumpRender.rendertexture you told me to select at run time.

Attached Files:

17. devknob

devknob

Got one that works with iPhone Unity? I can load it up, but the heat effect isnt there. Unity iPhone also forces me to "upgrade" the project.

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Render Textures don't work in Unity iPhone.

19. showoff

showoff

well hello again guys. Im posting this because i have just test the rtt project out on a different pc and im still running into the same problem from above where the edges of the plan is showing the distortion.
    I really would appreciate it if anyone had a clue to what I can do to fix this problem.

20. bakno

bakno

Hello showoff

Can you post a picture with the problem?

21. Dakta

Dakta

Does anyone have any advice on how to make better water for Indie? Because the default kind of sucks... No hard feelings towards the Unity guys. But it could use some serious work.

22. showoff

showoff

its the same image i posted above but im testing it on another pc

Attached Files:

23. bakno

bakno

Thanks showoff. Unfortunately I don't know how to help you. I used to have a problem with the plane on the water scene and it got solved by increasing the resolution from 512 to 1024. Have you increased your player quality settings?

24. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Wow, that's simply amazing.

25. showoff

showoff

thanks bakno but increasing the render to texture size doesnt seem to fix the problem for me.

26. inervy

inervy

I have a different problem.

Everything looks great, but when I change
    the main camera to orthographic mode,
    the Reflective-Refractive Water Shader doesn't seem to work.

Did anyone had a similar problem?

27. edplane

edplane

Wow, thats cool. I could use it, but my game wont have much water... ill find something out :D

28. RHD

RHD

How did you add the mass points to the boat? It has to be in Unity yes?

Excellent work there! Well done!

29. Mirage

Mirage

At the risk of necroposting, how do you import this? I see no package file, and the scene file crashes on load? I remember reading that copy/pasting the assets was ok but you cant touch the temp folder. Am I missing something?

30. Mirage

Mirage

*bump.

How the hell do you extract this thing?
    Every unzip program I try returns with an invalid file name error. The second folder down the heiarchy has a ":" in the filename. Very big PITA.

31. edplane

edplane

Perhaps the file is corrupt? It works perfect for me...

32. Zeroth

Zeroth

I'm using the heat effect to make a heat shimmer above a road.

I've tried copying everything as exactly as possible, however, the particles for the effect show up as the purple-red-pink, etc, bump map rather than as transparent. Exactly what is needed to do this?

The bumprender is just flat color, with no distortion taking place in it. From what I've read, that seems to be due to an issue with the shader? I am using Unity 2.6.

I did run into an issue with the plane offsetting whatever is behind it, which I solved by changing the camera's clear flags, more specifically, the camera used on the bumprender.

Attached Files:

33. Zeroth

Zeroth

Some further information:

I made a prefab of the demo's heat effect, and then imported it into our project. I instantiated it, and hooked up all the missing materials, and discovered that the plane I had made shows the distortion of the particles of the prefab o.0

The included screenshots show the situation. I also notice that the distortion is upside to the particles. Something weird is going on here. Any help?

Attached Files:

34. 3dDude

3dDude

awsome 8)

35. Artimese

Artimese

LOVE it :D Great work duude :)

36. hankphone

hankphone

Thank god I read your post about changing the camera flags... I've been having issues with the fire for hours. If I have a skybox in the scene the plane would be visible, it was driving me nuts. Thanks

37. Simba

Simba

Have you seen the water in the island demo? Import that and it works. As in, it's transparent and it does distorted reflections... and it works in indie (version 2.6, I think).

Hope I've helped,

Arthur

38. Knight12ify

Knight12ify

Isn't this game 3 years old?

39. Axel-F

Axel-F

Great project! I used that stuff in my Unity 3 Pro project and it worked without problems...at least in the scene view.
    For some strange reason the perfect looking water plane looks throught that main camera nearly flat. I have no idea why. The camera is nothing special and there exists only a single point light. The camera is positioned so that the water plane is nearly covered (so no close zoom in or out). Even without lights the effect is the same: perfect looking water in the scene view and only a stripped down, nearly flat plane in the game view. I guess this is a shader problem?

I did a YouTube video so you can get an idea and attached screenshots of my project settings to this post. Any help is welcome!

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhYOOuQHb4

Attached Files:

• $1.PNG
      $1.PNG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • $2.PNG
      $2.PNG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • $3.PNG
      $3.PNG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  40. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Have you tried setting the game view camera to "forward" rendering in the quality settings? That might work.

41. Axel-F

Axel-F

Yes. Forward, deferred...everything. No changes.

42. Axel-F

Axel-F

I uploaded a stripped down version of my project with the problematic scene here - in case someone want to checkout: http://www.darkhouse.de/temp/dev.zip (18.5MB)

Edit 26.01.2010: oops, I had an bug in my stripped down project..re-uploading right now

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  43. jister

jister

:( this is all i get to see:
    downloaded the project folder on page 1

44. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Eh, is this still working in unity3.4.x?

45. Duskling

Duskling

This is awesome, But the webplayer doesn't work.

"Invalid data file"

46. zeropoid

zeropoid

Please help I have the same problem as jister in his post. Only black water.((( Unity 3.4.2 Please, please, please

47. zeropoid

zeropoid

How to fix black water problem in Unity3d 3.4.2 ??? Anybody?

48. zeropoid

zeropoid

Hello?

49. zeropoid

zeropoid

Anybody fixed this black water bug?

50. robert_d

robert_d

Can you upload Waves Bumpmap texture, please? All other links in this thread are dead.