Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sweet arse" water

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Mar 15, 2007.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

New project folder with infinite water plane, works in 2.0:

http://yogware.bluegillstudios.com/RTTNormalMaps2.zip

************************** OP **************************
    I got this idea about using a render texture as the normal map for a water plane after seeing the awesome forest pond scene in Zelda: twilight princess. After a crash course in advanced shader stuff I have modded the water shaders and set it up to work just right. Now you can practically paint ripples on the surface of the water in the runtime using whatever method you like: particles, lines or even meshes as long as the render texture works as a tangent space normal map for your water plane.

Web Player: http://yogware.bluegillstudios.com/coolwater/Unity Player.html

Drive the boat around using the arrow keys.

Also, just as a test I used that same setup with a different shader to create a heat effect. http://yogware.bluegillstudios.com/heat/Unity Player.html
    No controls in this one.

You can now download the project folder here: www.yogware.bluegillstudios.com/Files/RTT Normal Maps.zip

Have fun! :D Unity Pro only of course.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete

had to watch that a few times - nice!

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Dang Yoggy, that rules...

4. pete

pete

i posted before i saw the heat thing and i hadn't driven the boat. WOW that's slick! both are over the top my man!

5. norby

norby

Great work Yoggy
    very nice

Norby

6. StarManta

StarManta

They're....so...pretty....

7. AaronC

AaronC

Not sure what the heat thing was(?) but that demo is breathtaking! How the hell did you do that you clever bugger?!?!

Nice website by the way Yoggy, and I pleased you are keeping busy with cool projects. Avert fate is gonna rock by the looks of it...

AC

8. thylaxene

thylaxene

very very nice!

cheers.

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

What does it look like there? it should look like this (notice the wavy distortion around the fire)

It rocked at GDC but I don't know where it is going next. I am not working on it anymore because GDC is over and we are out of goals.

Attached Files:

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

After standing at GDC all week and showing that demo a number of times I can confirm that it rocked the house for sure. While GDC is in fact over Yoggy I'm sure we can come up with some more goals for you... :D

11. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Kick @ss! Great work again Forest!

12. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I'm a bit jealous ;-)

13. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

So forest finaly figured out and implemented the heat wave distortion system I had been bugging people to do almost a year ago! Looks great man, keep up the sweet work. Jeff

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Wow :eek: Unity's water was just "ok" before, but I was really impressed by your demos. Shows just what Unity can do in the hands of someone with your talent. Nicely done! I'll be staying up late tonight thinking up ways to use this now... Can't wait to play with it!

15. Marble

Marble

Damn... you've got a new video card, eh?

Mine doesn't seem to be up to the task of viewing these, but the screenshots look excellent. (Radeon 9000)

For reference, the water looks like a solid blue plane that's reflective but not transparent (it does ripple a bit, though), and the fire looks like this:

Attached Files:

16. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

aha. The glass refraction and water should work on the Radeon 9000, but they use a separate sub shader which I have not adapted yet. Still work to do before this is official ;)

17. drJones

drJones

you have some mad talent there yoggy, can't wait to fool around with this ; )

18. polytropoi

polytropoi

That is freaking awesome. Works fine on the mini, too. Bravissimo!

19. milkytreat

milkytreat

i clicked because i thought you drank arse water(sweet arse water?) - you pleasantly suprised me :D

this is fantastic well done!

20. Lallander

Lallander

You scare me.

Also yes nice shader on that. *thumbsup

21. drJones

drJones

one thing i noticed, i'm not sure what's going on - when you are moving the boat, all looks perfect with the boat ripple the rain waves - but when you stop moving the boat after a short pause the water visibly "snaps" to a different, less realistic look. also then the rain waves seem to not be there anymore (or aren't noticable because the water is very busy looking at that point).

i don't know squat about stuff like this, but maybe something in the water shader (normal map?) is fighting the disturbance effect you have set up?

22. VeganApps

VeganApps

I am impressed... again, comer!

Great job. I am excited to see the source. :)

23. drJones

drJones

tuttle? buttle?

we're all in it together ; )

24. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yes, there must be some layer snapping in between particle effects. I have already moved them farther apart onthe z axis so that should fix that. I have given up on the Radeon 9000 for now because I really don't understand what is going on with that code. Project folder up later today.

25. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

26. drJones

drJones

that's awesome. if you disable the "waves particles" the snapping issue goes away. thanks so much for posting ; )

27. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yes, thanks Yoggy. I saw a demo similar to this done with Ogre3D and was blown away at the time. I'm looking forward to studying this when I get some time. Thanks for sharing!

28. VeganApps

VeganApps

Yay, thanks man. :D

Good that Ogre3D itself is only a graphic-engine.
    I saw the example you are talking about too after several hours of updating Windows to the newest Service Pack etc... :evil:
    Ogre3D didn't run without all these updates. :(

29. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Just a crash course eh? You simply amaze me Forest... you have a nimble mind that just seems to absorb this content freely. As Nicholas said, I'm a bit jealous, it's rare to see someone that can handle both sides of the equation... you can tap into the artistic side as well as the nuts and bolts that makes it all possible. Keep it up!

Ethan

30. Marble

Marble

It is pretty humbling.

31. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I suppose so as far as creating content like particles, "gameplay" specific graphics and the like. I have never been and probably never will be an artist though. I just can't come up with a great artistic idea and put it on paper or a computer screen like other people can.

Don't expect me to make good models or concept art, it won't happen ;)

32. milkytreat

milkytreat

yoggy how did you learn shaders?

Ive skimmed the documentation and it didnt stick too well to my noggin - is there any other resources that helped you out?

I dont even know how a shader works lol

33. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I don't understand how they work either. Mainly I looked at existing shaders and noticed the differences and similarities between them. Actually all I did to change the water shaders was replace certain parts of the code where the bumpmap is arranged with the equivalent code from the regular Bumped Specular shader.

34. pete

pete

you mean drawing/painting/sculpting? there are lots of different art forms. i'd call megapixel pretty damn creative.

oh and i do have to say your boat is top notch :D

let's not forget code is an art of its own...

35. drJones

drJones

agreed (and its something i know i'll never be that good at myself). yoggy i think you definitly showed with megapixel that if you do lack any artistic ability, you more than make up for it with your graphical mojo ; )

36. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yeah I agree that boat is a very nice piece of work ;)
    I agree with that about megapixel. I did create a brand new artistic idea in that game. Looking back at it I would prefer to have done it differently, but probably in a way that would be harder for me to achieve. When I started MP I didn't even really have a clue where it would go. I pretty much just was messing around with some different game ideas while learning to use Unity and decided I would try to make a whole world out of particles. Boy did it ever take off from there! :D

37. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

That is just amazing!

I'm starting to wonder if you are a by product of OTEE, a hybrid perhaps? :)

Thanks for sharing Forest,

Ray

38. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Hehe, born in a secret double-black offshoot program of OTEE, bred for one thing...

to rock us with gaming goodness!!

:D

39. Samantha

Samantha

I'm not convinced that Yoggy isn't an extremely well-done AI as a Unity Editor script.

40. milkytreat

milkytreat

*imports pro assets and see's Yoggy* :roll:

41. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

You found me out! Oh well now at least I can finally stop pretending to be human and make these games at a decent pace. Waiting for how long it would take a human to move the mouse or type all the time gets old really fast!! Imagine if you had to wait a week between every letter you type!

/me goes and creates halo 3, 4 and 5 in under 3 hours

42. pete

pete

sweet! so they'll be out by friday? can't wait to play! oh sorry yog. here maybe this is easier to read...

43. Morgan

Morgan

I've been out of the forums a lot and someone just showed me this.

Wow!!

44. pete

pete

yeah it is cool morgan.

*bump* hey yog, the link to the heat player is 404. water one still loads...

45. Proto

Proto

Has anyone tried modernizing this resource for Unity 2, and do you have a shader you can share? Looks like this version is incompatible.

I believe the shader included in this package is incompatible with Unity 2, and the Unity 2 water shader doesn't use the rendered texture bump map in the same way (see image attached).

I've had a go and gotten it "kind-of working", but my hacks are nowhere near as nice as the original. The displacement is too present in the colour channel which I think is due to differences in the way the v2 water shader blends it's normal maps / waves. I fear my knowledge of shaders is not sufficient to take this any further.

Attached Files:

46. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

I agree i would really like to see this for 2.0

47. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Does it not work in 2.0 ? I was looking forward to this

48. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I gave this a try shortly after the release of 2.0 and just assumed that something in the shader needed to be modified to work with the newer version. Yoggy, if you're following this, do you know if there's something that has changed in 2.0 that prevents this from working or can it be modified to work? FWIW for anyone who hasn't seen this demo running under 1.6x, it's totally amazing!

49. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

I've tried it in 2.0, nearly everything is working, appart of the waters shader
    (I have unity indie :D ).

50. rawrman2381238

rawrman2381238

Can someone please remake this for 2.0 :D