Search Unity

Svn Tools - Fast and easy version control from inside your Unity editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Visual-Design-Cafe, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@Yu_
    It looks like you have not yet checked out your project. The 'Path is not a working copy' error means that the path to your working copy is not under version control.

It is very strange that you cannot write anything in the URL field. If this is the reason why you cannot check out your project then please do the following:
    1. Navigate to your project folder in Windows
    2. Right click on the root folder of your project (The "New Unity Project" folder in your case)
    3. Click SVN Checkout in the TortoiseSVN menu
    4. Input your URL and Working Copy path there and proceed with checking out your project.

Otherwise, if you already checked out your project then please check if the root of the Unity project is under version control. If your project folder ("New Unity Project") is not the root of your working copy then it is possible that your Unity project is not added to version control. If it is indeed not under version control then please add it using TortoiseSVN:
    1. Right click on the folder ("New Unity Project")
    2. Click TortoiseSVN > Add

2. ben-maurin

ben-maurin

Hi,

Thanks for your plugin.
    We would like to be able to add new custom functionalities (for exemple, add a warning message when saving a locked scene, ...)
    But all classes in UnitySvnTools namespace are protected. Is there a way to check, in code, the svn status of an asset? (locked, deleted etc...)

Thank in advance

3. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@ben-maurin

Unfortunately it is not (yet) supported to access the Svn Tools API. However, for your specific question there is a small workaround using reflection that will give you the data you need.
    Here is a small example that will print the status of the selected file in the editor:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [MenuItem( "Tools/Get File Status" )]
    2.     public static void GetFileStatus()
    3.     {
    4.         if( Selection.activeObject == null )
    5.             return;
    7.         // Find the Cache property in the internal SvnToolsUtility class.
    8.         // This cache holds the status for every file in the project.
    9.         PropertyInfo propertyInfo =
    10.             System.Type.GetType( "UnitySvnTools.SvnToolsUtility, SvnTools, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" )
    11.                 .GetProperty( "Cache", BindingFlags.Static | BindingFlags.Public );
    13.         object cache = propertyInfo.GetValue( null, null );
    15.         // Find the GetFileInfo method in the VersionControlCache class.
    16.         // This method is used to retreive the file status of a single file.
    17.         MethodInfo getFileInfo =
    18.             System.Type.GetType( "VisualDesignCafe.Editor.VersionControl.VersionControlCache, SvnTools, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" )
    19.                 .GetMethod( "GetFileInfo", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Public );
    21.         // Get the asset path of the selected object so we can print its status.
    22.         string assetPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath( Selection.activeObject );
    24.         // Pass the asset path to the GetFileInfo method of the VersionControlCache.
    25.         // It is possible to pass any kind of path, if the path is not under version control or invalid a null object will be returned.
    26.         FileInfo fileInfo = getFileInfo.Invoke( cache, new object[] { assetPath } ) as FileInfo;
    28.         if( fileInfo != null )
    29.         {
    30.             var extensionInfo = new FileInfo.FileExtensionInfo( fileInfo );
    32.             Debug.Log( "File was last synced on: " + fileInfo.TimeOfLastSync );
    34.             Debug.Log( "File GUID: " + fileInfo.Guid );
    35.             Debug.Log( "File Path: " + fileInfo.Path );
    36.             Debug.Log( "File Name: " + fileInfo.Name );
    37.             Debug.Log( "File Directory: " + fileInfo.Directory );
    38.             Debug.Log( "File Extension: " + extensionInfo.Extension );
    39.             Debug.Log( "File Type: " + extensionInfo.CastExtensionToType() );
    41.             Debug.Log( "File is under version control: " + fileInfo.GetIsUnderVersionControl() );
    42.             Debug.Log( "Meta File is under version control: " + fileInfo.GetIsUnderVersionControl( true ) );
    44.             Debug.Log( "File is ignored: " + fileInfo.GetIsIgnored() );
    45.             Debug.Log( "Meta File is ignored: " + fileInfo.GetIsIgnored( true ) );
    47.             Debug.Log( "Working Copy status: " + fileInfo.Status.WorkingCopy );
    48.             Debug.Log( "Repository status: " + fileInfo.Status.Repository );
    49.             Debug.Log( "File properties status: " + fileInfo.Status.Properties );
    51.             Debug.Log( "Working Copy status of meta file: " + fileInfo.MetaStatus.WorkingCopy );
    52.             Debug.Log( "Repository status of meta file: " + fileInfo.MetaStatus.Repository );
    53.             Debug.Log( "File properties status of meta file: " + fileInfo.MetaStatus.Properties );
    55.             Debug.Log( "File is locked: " + fileInfo.Lock.IsLocked );
    56.             Debug.Log( "File is locked by user: " + fileInfo.Lock.IsLockOwner );
    57.             Debug.Log( "Lock Owner: " + fileInfo.Lock.Owner );
    58.             Debug.Log( "Lock Token: " + fileInfo.Lock.Token );
    59.         }
    60.     }
    Please make sure to include the following at the top of your code file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using System.Reflection;
    4. using VisualDesignCafe.Editor.VersionControl;

4. ben-maurin

ben-maurin

Thank for your answer !

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  5. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@ben-maurin

The current SVN user is not directly stored and is therefore not accessible using reflection. However you should be able to get the information you need from the lock info. fileInfo.Lock.IsLockOwner will be true if the current user is the owner of the lock. You can then get the name using fileInfo.Lock.Owner.

If you have your credentials set in the preferences window then you can also grab the current user directly from the preferences:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string username = EditorPrefs.GetString( "UnitySvnTools.SvnLoginSettings.Username", string.Empty );

6. ben-maurin

ben-maurin

Yes I found out before your answer, so I deleted the question, a bit late. I did everything I wanted, thank again.

7. spothieux

spothieux

Hello,
    with the last version 1.1.4, the lock is no more possible on the file not already locked.

Improvement :
    The lock is too restrictive.
    The lock must prevent a save of a file locked by another person of my team but not the open.
    If i need to make a test or simply to open a scene to see an element i must be able to do it even if a person has locked the file.
    I see two solution to this problem :
    1. The file is read only is someone else has the lock.
    2. If 1 is not possible : Add an option to open a locked file if the user want it. If he modify the scene and save it even if it's lock draw an error message in the log and add an icon on the object that indicate he have made a wrong operation.

The tool is good but the lock is too restrictive.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@spothieux
    Thank you for your feedback. I agree with your suggestion and will think of a way to implement this behavior. However Unity does allow to prevent a file from being saved nor does it allow to open a read-only file, therefore I cannot guarantee that it will be added. My apologies for the inconvenience you are experiencing with this feature.

9. spothieux

spothieux

You seem to miss the bug in my message :
    I have this problem with the last version :
    upload_2016-12-9_16-16-9.png

I cannot Lock a file with your Svn menu.
    I use Unity 5.5.0f3

Thanks

10. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@spothieux
    I indeed missed that bug, my apologies. I have looked into it and found the cause. I will send you a PM with a fix.

For everyone else:
    There is a bug in version 1.1.4 that prevents you from locking files. A fix has been made and will be available in the store within the next few days.

11. minority-pom

minority-pom

Hi there !

I'm not sure to understand what's the difference between the lite and the pro version ?

Thanks in advance for your answer !

12. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@minority-pom
    The lite version contains only the basic functionality and does not have the following:

Automation:
    - Automatic locking of modified files
    - Automatic adding of new files.
    - Automatic removing of deleted files.
    - Automatic cleaning up of locked working copy

Features:
    - Moving/Renaming files

Overlay:
    - Icon overlay style is not editable (no custom colors or icon size and icons can't be enabled/disabled)
    - No icon overlay for the hierarchy window

13. Free-Compass

Free-Compass

Hi,
    Thanks for your plugins.
    I find after I upgrade my project from unity5.3.4 to unity5.6.1, the Windows 10 will be very slow and lag. Then i create a new project and import the plugin in another PC, everything occurs as same as the above.
    There is no problems in unity5.3.4.

14. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@Free-Compass
    Thanks for using SVN Tools! I have noticed a few issues with the latest version of Unity and SVN Tools which are most likely caused by the latest version of SlikSVN, although I am not yet sure what exactly causes this problem. Can you try to install version 1.8.8 of SlikSVN from their download library: https://sliksvn.com/pub/. So far this has fixed the issues for me, however please let me know if this does not fix it for you and I will look into it more.

15. Free-Compass

Free-Compass

I have tested the version 1.8.8 of SlikSVN for a week, everything is well. Thank you!

Visual-Design-Cafe likes this.
  16. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Version 1.2.0 of SVN Tools is now available on the Asset Store! This version fixes any crashes or freezes with the latest version of Unity and SVN. A couple of feature requests and other improvements have been made as well, for a full list of changes please check the changelog.

Announcement
    Besides this new version, there is an important announcement regarding SVN Tools Lite. We have decided to discontinue the Lite version of SVN Tools in order to focus development resources on a single version. The full version is 60% off until the end of the month for everyone who has been using SVN Tools Lite and wants to upgrade :)
    It was a difficult decision to make and we want to thank everyone who has been using SVN Tools Lite until now. For more information regarding this decision please read the blog post.

17. RosstinSTRIVR

RosstinSTRIVR

Hey guys! Thanks for your great tool. But do you have any documentation for completely uninstalling it? We are moving to GIT.

18. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@RosstinSTRIVR
    Thank you for using SVN Tools so far, glad to hear you like it.

To remove SVN Tools you can simply delete the SVN Tools folder from your project.

Since you are moving to GIT you will also have to disconnect the root folder from your SVN repository, you can follow the guide here in order to disconnect it. Here is a quote from the specific part of the guide that tells you how to disconnect:
    You can access the Export command by right-clicking on the root folder of your working copy in Windows Explorer and choosing "TortoiseSVN/Export"

19. mwituni

mwituni

Awesome product, and its simplicity will appeal to everyone. I totally recommend this to everyone to have a simple yet fully professional way of keeping backup versions of your projects.

I have been using SVN Tools Lite till now. I never really upgraded it as I didn't need anything more, but certainly it is a good idea to support the developer.

Thanks for the great tool, good support, and hard work.

Visual-Design-Cafe likes this.
  20. drolak

drolak

Any chance for OSX support? Or source access so we can do it for you ;-)
    ( I guess it's just 5 mins of work, no?)

21. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

We would love to add support for OSX. Unfortunately, because SVN Tools relies heavily on TortoiseSVN it takes quite some time to make it compatible with OSX (TortoiseSVN isn't available for OSX). In order to make it compatible we would have to implement an entirely new client. At the moment, we don't have the resources to make this big of a change to the asset.

We are preparing the source code to be released so you can give it a try for yourself if you want. Though, it will take some time until it is available for download. Both SVN Tools and Nested Prefabs share some core libraries and they have to be separated properly to make sure the source code for both can be edited and compiled separately without any problems or conflicts.

22. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Question before purchase: Is the locking/update/commit work on scene ?
    (because you need to open unity scene even if you don't modify it)

23. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Yes, locking works on scenes. You can choose whether to lock the scene when opening it or only when it is modified.

24. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

25. dpaskarina

dpaskarina

Hi. Is it possible to register moving files by drag and drop in the project panel as move command instead of delete and add? Afaik if you delete and add, you will lose the history for the file.

26. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Unfortunately, dragging and dropping a file will always result in it being removed and added. Unity does not provide enough callbacks to move the file through SVN. If you want to move the file with its history intact then you can use the 'SVN/Move' option in the menu when right-clicking on the file.

27. NibbleByte3

NibbleByte3

Can't you make it store the deleted/added files for a few seconds. If the guids match, then it is the same file and should do repair/move? Calling "SVN Rename/Move" every time is horrible!

Or can't you use: UnityEditor.AssetModificationProcessor.OnWillMoveAsset(from, to)
    Looks like it's just what you need.

Also, the project stays grayed out after returning from play and have to click SVN -> Refresh which is also very annoying. And graying out during play is also undesired.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  28. NibbleByte3

NibbleByte3

In addition to that, sometimes "Update all" on the Assets folder updates only the project settings, not the Assets.
    Also having a "Commit All" window open in the background causes Unity to freeze/lock upon pressing the "Play" button. It waits like that until the user closes the commit window.

There are some more minor bugs and exceptions from time to time, but I'll stop here for now.

PP: Running Unity 2017.3.1f1

29. OVERGAUGE

OVERGAUGE

Great tool. I love it.
    One thing I want to know.
    I'd like to get last revision number as integer value. is it possible?

30. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Thank you. You can use the following code to get the revision number:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SvnToolsUtility.GetRepositoryInfo(
    2.             ( SvnErrorCode error, string url, string revision, string root ) =>
    3.                 {
    4.                     if( error == SvnErrorCode.NONE )
    5.                     {
    6.                         Debug.Log( "Revision: " + revision );
    7.                         Debug.Log( "Repository URL: " + url );
    8.                         Debug.Log( "Repository Root: " + root );
    9.                     }
    10.                     else
    11.                     {
    12.                         Debug.LogError( SvnError.GetErrorMessage( error ) );
    13.                     }
    14.                 } );
    Please make sure to include the following as well:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using SvnToolsApi;
    2. using VisualDesignCafe.Editor.VersionControl.Svn;
    The revision number is returned as a string so you'll have to parse it using int.Parse to get it as an integer.

Edit
    By default the project root is checked. You can optionally provide a different path to check.

Edit
    If you only need the status of the working copy then you can use the following code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var fileInfo = SvnTools.Provider.Cache.GetFileInfo( SvnTools.ProjectRoot );
    2.                 Debug.Log( "Working Copy Revision: " + fileInfo.Status.Revision );
    This will only work if the status of the file is already cached. If you need to make sure that it is cached then you can wrap it in a status update call:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SvnToolsUtility.Status(
    2.             SvnTools.ProjectRoot,
    3.             false,
    4.             ( response ) =>
    5.             {
    6.                 var fileInfo = SvnTools.Provider.Cache.GetFileInfo( SvnTools.ProjectRoot );
    7.                 Debug.Log( "Working Copy Revision: " + fileInfo.Status.Revision );
    8.             } );

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  31. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Just want to let you know that I am looking into the issues you described. However, I have not yet had a chance to push a new version.

32. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

@NibbleByte3 The issues you have reported should be fixed in the latest version that was just released on the Asset Store. Please give it a try :)

33. NibbleByte3

NibbleByte3

Pressing play still grays out all the assets in the project. I noticed that the graying out is actually the "Unversioned" color. This made me realize that every time I enter into play mode, all the assets change their status to Unversioned. After returning from Play mode they start loading their status from scrap which is annoying and slow (we have a lot of assets). And it still often bugs and does not reload their status and stays gray forever (after returning from Play mode).
    Can't you just NOT clear their status on entering play?

Unity still freezes when commit window is opened and I press Play button. It now just focuses the commit window, but I don't want that. I want to open as many commit windows in the background as I want.

Update All seems to work now, will keep an eye. Will also monitor for exceptions.

SVN Tools version: 1.2.3
    Unity Version: 2018.1.0f2

PP: Still don't like the rename/move dialog. Our artists can't use it correctly and makes the plugin useless. Just use the UnityEditor.AssetModificationProcessor.OnWillMoveAsset method.

34. NibbleByte3

NibbleByte3

Also, the content of this folder for some reason doesn't get refreshed (check the screenshots).

Does this has something to do with the fact that the folder is named Assets?

Screenshot_2018-06-08-18-08-47.png

Screenshot_2018-06-08-18-09-27.png

35. FromTheFuture

FromTheFuture

Hello - I have a question about locks. Right now, if a scene is locked, Svn Tools won't allow it to be opened by others in Unity. This seems overly restrictive - someone might be working in a scene so I can't make any changes to it, but I might need to open it to be able to run, etc. Is it possible to make this a configuration option?

36. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

I have sent you a PM with a fix for this :)

37. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

It should not clear the status anymore in the latest version, but I'll double check for you in that specific version of Unity (Unity has changed this behavior a couple of times in different versions).

Regarding the commit windows, since the windows are opened by Unity it is not possible to keep them open when entering playmode or when exiting Unity. Unity automatically unloads all scripts when entering playmode, and this includes the scripts that own the commit windows. Therefore, they have to be closed.

I'll see if I can use OnWillMoveAsset. It used to be a pro-only feature, but since Unity introduced Collaborate they changed some of the specs.

38. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

It seems that there is a problem with versioning (and keeping everyone in sync) of the packages installed via the Package Manager. Most of the data from those packages are kept outside the project's folder and isn't under version control. This makes synchronization impossible and can lead to multiple problems in the future. Unity shows this data in the Project windows as a part of the project under Packages but the data is in the local AppData folder. Any ideas on how to cope with this issue?

39. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

There is a config file in the 'Packages' folder in your project root called 'manifest.json'. It contains a list of all the packages and versions for the packages. If you include it in version control then I expect that it will be synced correctly for every project. However, since the package manager is new and developed by Unity it is probably best to contact Unity if you have any questions or feedback on how to use it with version control.

40. leastwanted

leastwanted

Hi, there is something not working as expected.

Initial status:
    upload_2018-9-11_14-7-6.png

step 1: move folder (Item_5003) to Item_5005
    upload_2018-9-11_14-8-38.png

step 2: move Item_5003 back to the original folder
    result: Item_5003 has been modified but there is no changes has been made in Item_5003
    upload_2018-9-11_14-9-12.png

What we expect: if we just move a folder to somewhere and then move it back to the original location without modifying the folder's content, there should be no modifications to the svn repository and no modification hints in Unity project view

We are using svn tools 1.2.3 with Unity Version 2017.4.8f1

41. hottabych

hottabych

Hi. Does it handle branches?

42. Binary42

Binary42

hi, i get this error on editor start up:

ExecuteMenuItem failed because there is no menu named 'Window/Inspector'
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:ExecuteMenuItem(String)
    VisualDesignCafe.Editor.VersionControl.VersionControlProjectSettingsWindow:Open()
    SvnToolsApi.SvnTools:OnEditorUpdate()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

ps: Unity 2018.2.7f

43. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I get the following warning in the latest (2018.3.0b3) beta:

There are menu items registered under Edit/Project Settings: Version Control
    Consider using [SettingsProvider] attribute to register in the Unified Settings Window.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

44. DerrickBarra

DerrickBarra

@Visual-Design-Cafe : Hi, is this SVN tool still being actively developed and supported? Your last post was in July, and there are several developers that have mentioned bugs over the last few months without a reply. I'm looking into SVN tools within Unity, but finding one that has support from the creators and hasn't been abandoned has been difficult.

45. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

If you move the folder in Unity without using SVN Move from the menu, then the folder will be deleted from its original location and added to the new location. If you then move the folder back to the original location, it will be added there again. This will result in the file being marked as 'replaced' in SVN (because it was deleted and re-added). If you want to move the file without having any additional modifications to the repository then please use the 'Move' option in the SVN menu.

46. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Branches are not supported directly inside the Unity Editor. However, you can use branches if you manually manage them outside of Unity.

47. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Thank you for reporting this. A fix has been made and a new version has been submitted to the Asset Store. It should be available within a few days. Until then, you can safely ignore this error, it should not cause any issues.

Binary42 likes this.
  48. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Thank you for reporting this issue. It should not cause any problems and SVN Tools should work as expected. So far, Unity has not yet provided any documentation on the new API changes for Unity. Therefore, we have not yet been able to fix this for the beta. Once Unity 2018.3 is out of beta and the documentation is provided we will make sure to release an update that will prevent these errors. Until then, you can safely ignore these warnings.

49. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

SVN Tools is still being supported, however, we are not planning to add any major new features. Due to the latest Unity beta we have built up quite a backlog of work because of the changes to the prefab system which had a huge impact on our Nested Prefabs plugin. Therefore, our response has been a bit slow.

50. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Hi,

One of our team members has been having some issues getting SVN Tools to work correctly (it works on lots of other PCs) and I can't figure it out. If they use TortoiseSVN manually everything works fine for updating and commiting files. In Unity the SVN tools has all the files greyed out and has a 'problem with your internet connection' error message that appears. All the settings look fine and if they do 'svn update' within Unity it brings up the tortoise svn dialog and that works fine.

Looking at the svn server logs I get this error:

[auth_basic:error] [pid 24851] [client x.x.x.x:50605] AH01617: user xxxxxxx: authentication failure for "/svn/OurProject": Password Mismatch

I've tried deleting their 'auth' folder for subversion and when they do an svn update manually it asks for the new password. Once that's entered everything works fine but again it doesn't work in SVN Tools within Unity. Should SVN Tools just be using the same password or does it need setting up manually somewhere?

Thanks!