Search Unity

SVN Not Working

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Bryan-Legend, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Bryan-Legend

Bryan-Legend

I'm getting this message on
    There was an error:
    Repo is not accessible. Please check your URL and repo settings.

I'm using a visualSVN server over https on port 8443. I've double checked all the settings but can't get it to work.

I'm wondering if the servers are just overloaded at the moment. Anyone else having trouble or success yet?

Bryan

bahrep likes this.
  2. Tuppoeq

Tuppoeq

I wonder if it is same issue as me.

Pretty sure it is because they lower case everything, and SVN only works with exact case.

I have https://myiP/Test/trunk and it works checking out. On the unity side it shows https://myiP/test/trunk. Which if I use the lower case does not work.

Hopefully this is a quick fix.

3. Bryan-Legend

Bryan-Legend

Their help section says something about not accepting public SSL certificates. I think that might be it.

4. Tuppoeq

Tuppoeq

Gotcha, guess I can test turning off SSL.

5. Bryan-Legend

Bryan-Legend

Twil75 and Tuppoeq like this.
  6. schmosef

schmosef

I'm using the latest version of VisualSVN (without SSL) and it works great.

7. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi Lone Coder and Tuppoeq - I'm on the Unity Cloud Build team. Thanks for taking the service for a spin!

The "SVN-lowercase-to-uppercase" issue is a bug we are aware of, and we're working on a fix for it right now. When we think we have it sorted out and pushed to live, we will reply here and let you know.

Regarding SVN via SSL: we don't support this yet, but it's on our roadmap.

Let us know if you encounter any other issues, share thoughts, etc.

Thijs-K likes this.
  8. schmosef

schmosef

@hypeNate, this is a really awesome tool. Thanks for all your hard work!

9. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Thanks Schmosef! We appreciate that a lot. Keep us posted on how your Unity Cloud Build experience goes - we're always looking for feedback and ideas.

10. Thijs-K

Thijs-K

Great to hear that, i also have the issue with the uppercasing. I'm really eager to test out this service.

11. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@Thijs K - great! Thanks for your patience - we're on it, and will try to get it sorted out in the near future.

12. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@Tuppoeq and @Lone Coder - we just deployed an update that should address the uppercase-URL issue. If you think that is what was blocking you, please give it another try and let us know how it goes!

13. Bryan-Legend

Bryan-Legend

Thanks, but it's still not working for me. I must be blocked by the SSL requirement. I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem to add support for. Isn't it just built into the SVN client and runs out of the box?

Bryan

14. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify for future people who might find this thread, there are 2 separate issues here:

1. We don't support SSH key-based access with SVN, only username and password credentials
    2. A self-signed or otherwise non-verifiable certificate for SSL with SVN may cause an error

We are looking into supporting #2 and will let you know if that becomes a feature we support. If you'd like this feature, and you haven't already commented on this forum, please leave a comment here to let us know. Thanks!

15. Thijs-K

Thijs-K

Thanks! It does appear to be fixed and i am setting up automated builds right now.

hypeNate likes this.
  16. nschrag

nschrag

Support for this would be great.

BogdanDude and Bryan-Legend like this.
  17. NG-Samppa

NG-Samppa

Hi hypeNate. Is the SSL support still in the roadmap?

18. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi @Niittis! Actually HTTPS / SSL will work right now on many SVN systems, but there is a particular configuration that has caused a handful of users some trouble. We are continuing to look into this and hope to have it resolved before long.

So - if you haven't tried SSL with SVN, please do! And if you run into problems please submit a ticket on the support page. We are making progress on this, but the more data we get the easier it will be to fix.

And in case I don't say it often enough - Many thanks to all our beta users!

19. nschrag

nschrag

Excellent, the issue I was having has been fixed! Great work, and thanks!

hypeNate likes this.
  20. benbritten3000

benbritten3000

It looks like you guys are still working on the SVN+SSH with public keys but I just wanted to put my hand up for this feature. Just got into the beta (awesome thanks!) but all our code is hosted on AWS + EC2 + SVN so we use ssh key pairs to get to everything.

21. Rudy-Munky

Rudy-Munky

Any updates for handling certificates?

22. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@benbritten3000 - OK thanks for the note, we've noted your request and will keep you posted as we expand that area of the service.

@Rudy Munky - actually yes! We just (like, very recently) worked on that issue and we've started to see some improvements. If you have a self-signed cert and want to try it out, please let us know! If it doesn't work, please file a support ticket and we'll keep digging. Thanks!

23. Tomster69

Tomster69

Any further progress on self signed certificates using SVN? Thanks.

24. Rudy-Munky

Rudy-Munky

Just tried again today and it's still not working for me. Can't get past step 2, where I put in the svn login credentials.

Can't even generate a support ticket because I can't make a project.

25. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

@Rudy Munky you can generate a support ticket only if you are in Studio or Enterprise plan.

@Rudy Munky @Tomster69 how do you generate your self-signed certificates?

26. Tomster69

Tomster69

We use Visual SVN server. I'm not sure we did anything else other than install it on the server and set the port etc.

27. Rudy-Munky

Rudy-Munky

I'm not the one who initially set up our SVN server, but we too use Visual SVN server. I think it's using whatever Visual SVN's default behavior is for certificates.

28. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

29. Tomster69

Tomster69

Yes. I am using usr / pw.

30. bahrep

bahrep

Hello pals,

I've noticed a minor issue that you might encounter when connecting Unity Cloud Build service to VisualSVN Server over HTTPS when the server has a self-signed certificate. I guess that this should be noted in FAQ somewhere because resolving the issue is very simple. It also makes sense to adjust the error that a user gets in Unity Cloud Build.

Here is the summary of the issue: VisualSVN Server uses secure HTTPS with a self-signed certificate, but the common name specified in the certificate does not match FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) you actually use to access the server. In such case Unity Cloud Build can't connect to VisualSVN Server for security reasons and gives an error. Unfortunately, Unity Cloud Build displays a generic and pretty unclear error in such case, therefore it may be hard to understand what's going on and how to solve this.

For example, the Subversion repository URL you enter in Unity Cloud Build is https://unityvisualsvn.cloudapp.net/svn/MyRepo/, however the self-signed certificate was issued to unityvisualsvn. In such case Unity Cloud build won't let you to access VisualSVN Server repositories with a generic error:
    There was an error:
    Repo is not accessible. Please check your URL and repo settings.

In order to solve this issue you should generate a new certificate via VisualSVN Server Manager console for the FQDN that you use to access VisualSVN Server. In the above example you should generate the self-signed certificate for unityvisualsvn.cloudapp.net. Another solution would be to obtain a valid certificate signed by a certificate authority instead of using a self-signed cert.

I guess that you'll encounter the same issue if the server certificate has been expired. Regenerating it should solve the issue as well.

I've also tested other stuff such as different authentication options (Windows / Active Directory and Subversion authentication, https://www.visualsvn.com/support/topic/00039/) and they work well and there should be no issues at all.

The only issue I've noticed is this certificate-related one and I hope that the above summary will help Unity Cloud Build users to connect this service to VisualSVN Server repositories.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  31. schmosef

schmosef

I use Visual SVN Server with UCB and it works well.

I could not get UCB to work with the self signed cert but someone on another thread here linked a company that provides free certs.

It worked perfectly.

bahrep likes this.
  32. bahrep

bahrep

This is great to hear! :3 Indeed, installing a valid, signed and trusted certificate is the best solution.

It's OK to use a self-signed cert for testing purposes. Therefore, one might hit the issue I've described when testing VisualSVN Server with Unity Cloud Build using a self-signed certificate issued to a wrong common name. And this might lead to a wrong assumption that UCB does not support HTTPS when connecting to Subversion / VisualSVN Server. IMO, this thread proves the last statement.

Subversion clients allow a user to manually accept certificate with hostname mismatch error and they won't have any issues connecting to VisualSVN Server in such case. But UCB fails with a generic error without giving any clues to the user and without any mention of this in FAQ.

33. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@bahrep - Understood. We'll investigate whether we can display a more specific / helpful error when this happens. Thanks!

34. Green-Sauce-Games

Green-Sauce-Games

I'm not able to use SVN.

My SVN server is hosted on DreamHost, and I double checked the Adress and Login/Password but it still fails with the error : "Repo is not accessible. Please check your URL and repo settings."

Any advice?