Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SVG Importer | Vector Graphics | Unity UI Supported [OPEN SOURCE]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jaroslav-Stehlik, May 4, 2015.

1. Jaroslav-Stehlik

Jaroslav-Stehlik

Thanks for that will take a look at it.

2. jGate99

jGate99

Thanks for your reply,
    waiting desperately

3. coshea

coshea

I've not tried it yet, but there is this plugin https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/2955

v2-Ton-Studios likes this.
  4. a-bottosso

a-bottosso

Hi,
    I've some problems exporting to Playstation 4, in which SVG assets are not displayed at all.
    This also happens building the demo provided with the plugin.
    What could be the problem?

Note: Exporting to Xbox One works like a charm.

Thanks

5. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

I'm having an issue where my sorting layers are mixed up on the builds (ios & android) of my game. I've looked everywhere and tried just about everything trying to resolve this, but haven't had any luck... which gives me the suspicion it's something to do with SVG Importer.

Everything works perfectly in the editor, only the build has issues.

Has anyone had this problem before / does anyone know what might be causing it?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Aguillen

Aguillen

I'm using Unity 5.4 and I can only import the simplest SVGs, import fails everytime I try to import more complex graphics.

Has anyone else had the problem where the SVG is imported but graphic is invisible?

7. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

I don't have an answer for the problem, but I can say that I use a fairly complex setup with about 8 layers in my Android game and haven't had any issues with it. I'm using Unity 5.3.

Edit: Also, I'm using the "Unity Sorter" so my experience might not apply if you're using the SVG override Sorter.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  8. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

Thanks for the feedback.

My setup is pretty basic. By the sounds of it, a difference between mine and yours being I have 3 separate containers (empty game objects) – one were I instantiate `background` objects, one for `midground` objects and one for `foreground` objects. The sorting within the containers doesn't matter to me, it's just the containers themselves that are being mixed up.

This same case with sprites should work as intended, which is the reason I'm thinking it has something to do with SVGs.

If anyone else has any input, I'd much appreciate it!

EDIT

I think I've narrowed down the issue to the Mesh Renderer not inheriting the sorting layer correctly, as manually setting it seems to temporarily fix the issue.

Any Ideas @Jaroslav-Stehlik?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  9. tteneder

tteneder

Unity Technologies

Hi Jaroslav,

I got SVG Importer recently and love it. Only concern I have:
    Apparently it depends on System.Xml (or at least it prevents the compiler from stripping it). For WebGL this results in a build size increase by around 1.5 MB. A huge bummer for me.

Is there an easy way to avoid this? Have you considered optimizing for WebGL build size (before)?

Thanks!

10. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I am finding that shapes randomly come out completely white when in play mode or during builds.

Also I am finding that gradients are very dithered; not at all smooth like they are in the original SVG file.

What is causing these two problems?

11. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I suspect this is required for the runtime parsing of .svg files; it would be good if there was a way to exclude runtime .svg parsing when this functionality is not required. In my projects the .svg import only needs to happen at design time; then at runtime SVG Importer just needs to render from it's .asset file. So +1 for a way to exclude this dependency in final builds.

12. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

I think that's a bug in the gradient rendering which is fixed in the upcoming version.

13. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I hope that the update comes out soon otherwise I will have to find an alternative for my project; at least for the short-term.

14. jGate99

jGate99

Any update on it?

15. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

16. mgmhunt

mgmhunt

Build works locally for Windows 64-bit, but using Unity Cloud Build I get a fail because of these two errors.

94582: [Unity] Shader error in 'SVG Importer/Standard SVG': Program 'fragForwardBase_SVG', error X4506: ps_4_0_level_9_1 input limit (8) exceeded, shader uses 9 inputs. (on d3d11_9x)

94588: [Unity] Shader error in 'SVG Importer/Standard SVG Specular': Program 'fragForwardBase_SVG', error X4506: ps_4_0_level_9_1 input limit (8) exceeded, shader uses 9 inputs. (on d3d11_9x)

[Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 2 errors

98587: ! build of 'default-windows-desktop-64-bit' failed. compile failed

Can you replicate?

TeamZero likes this.
  17. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I too am getting these errors in builds.

TeamZero likes this.
  18. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hmmm, when I create a prefab that contains an SVG Renderer; and that prefab gets instantiated at runtime; it looks fine the first time I hit the play mode button but is bright magenta the second/third/fourth/etc time that I press the play mode button. The only solution seems to be to reload Unity... and then the cycle repeats from the start. Works fine the first time I hit play mode but all of the SVG Renderer's are bright magenta.

When I select the SVG Renderer objects and examine the inspector I see that there are no materials assigned to the mesh renderer when the magenta issue occurs.

19. Deathfate

Deathfate

That normally happens in the release version, you need the updated version that Jaroslav sends you by email, that version fixes gradients and missing materials

20. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

I'm not sure how you define complex. I'm definitely seeing errors every time I import an SVG and also when I drag it into a scene. And, like you note, some SVGs simply won't import. However most do. For what I can see this doesn't seem to be dependent on complexity. See image linked below -- of the two the one that works seems to be more complex :|.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzk79j8orssc8sx/SVGImporterOkayFail.PNG?dl=0

I'm also using Unity 5.4.0

These are the errors I'm getting for the failed asset. Any help is appreciated.

SVG Document Exception: Unknown char: .
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    SVGImporter.SVGAssetImport:StartProcess(SVGAsset) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAssetImport.cs:97)
    SVGImporter.SVGAsset:_editor_LoadSVG() (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAsset.cs:1410)
    SVGImporter.SVGAsset:_editor_ApplyChanges(Boolean) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAsset.cs:1253)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    SVGImporter.SVGPostprocessor:ImportVGAsset(String) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Editor/AssetPostprocessor/SVGPostprocessor.cs:210)
    SVGImporter.SVGPostprocessor:OnPostprocessAllAssets(String[], String[], String[], String[]) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Editor/AssetPostprocessor/SVGPostprocessor.cs:143)
    UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal:PostprocessAllAssets(String[], String[], String[], String[], String[])

SVG Document is corrupted! Assets/Terrain/ch2_Z3_GroundCeiling.asset
    SVGImporter.SVGAssetImport:StartProcess(SVGAsset) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAssetImport.cs:103)
    SVGImporter.SVGAsset:_editor_LoadSVG() (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAsset.cs:1410)
    SVGImporter.SVGAsset:_editor_ApplyChanges(Boolean) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAsset.cs:1253)
    SVGImporter.SVGPostprocessor:ImportVGAsset(String) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Editor/AssetPostprocessor/SVGPostprocessor.cs:210)
    SVGImporter.SVGPostprocessor:OnPostprocessAllAssets(String[], String[], String[], String[]) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Editor/AssetPostprocessor/SVGPostprocessor.cs:143)
    UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal:PostprocessAllAssets(String[], String[], String[], String[], String[])

SVGAsset: ch2_Z3_GroundCeiling
    errors: Syntax.
    path: Assets/Terrain/ch2_Z3_GroundCeiling.asset

SVGImporter.SVGAsset:_editor_ApplyChanges(Boolean) (at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Core/SVGAsset.cs:1301)

21. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Found other issues...

- Lighting does not seem to work. I've generated normals, reimported. Created a Sprites/Diffuse material. And, assigned it to the imported SVG. When assigning the Sprites/Diffuse material the SVG disappears. It's not dark or moved. It no longer renders anything.

- Gradients also seem to be broken. Despite setting 'Gradients = Always' on the importer the render as a fully opaque fill.

Are these known issues? As always help is appreciated. Again, I'm using Unity 5.4.0

(Uninstalling the Illustrator 2015 -- nothing but headaches with it... Installing 2014, see if that fixes anything.)

EDIT: I've downgraded to Illustrator CC 2014. And reexported all SVGs using the approach and exact settings outlined in the video below. Still no luck. When I give things a Sprites / Diffuse shader they all disappear. And, as before gradients are rendering as solid fills. Help...!?!? :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  22. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

SVG Importer has troubles parsing a great deal of svgs from Illustrator, more specifically the decimal numbers that tend to make up the svgs. It used to be only the vanilla 'save as' option would work, but now I believe there's even issues with that.

I use this plugin for Illustrator, which works flawlessly every time. Just make sure your layers are named with .svg at the end, and make sure the layers don't contain any symbols.

davecdempsey likes this.
  23. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Thanks Shane, I'll give that a go. Should I assume that will fix the lighting and gradient issues I'm having as well. Or, is that something distinct?

EDIT: Hrm I get an error from the script when trying to execute.

Error 60: Not well-formed (invalid token).
    Line: 593
    -> <td id="LC34" class="blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"><span class="pl-k">try</span> {</td>

... think it might be time to give up on this, get a refund, and stick with good ol' sprites :|.

24. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

I haven't really touched lighting or gradients at all so it's hard to say. If the svgs are corrupted though I could see how it could lead to issues like that.

I'm unfamiliar with that error as well. The only errors I ever had were graphics containing symbols not showing up on the output. Is there anything unusual about the graphic you're trying to export? P.S. I'm also using the latest version of Illustrator, but I've had the plugin working on previous versions as well.

EDIT: Your issue sounds like it could be along the lines of this one.

25. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

What a bizarre error... but yep, it was the download one. With that lighting and gradients also work. Man, Adobe really needs to get their act together.

Thanks so much for the help Shane, very appreciated!

EDIT: Shane, have you found a way to get the script to remember the last save path?

EDIT: Womp womp... lighting doesn't work. If I assign a Sprites/Diffuse to a single SVG it's fine, but if I assign it to a second, the other "SVGs" in the scene disappear. So strange. Okay, refund time... wasted 2 days with this now. I'm sure it will work for others, and I don't mean to disparage the work the folks behind it have done, but for me it's just not working.

26. DoomerDGR8

DoomerDGR8

Hi!

I'm wondering if it is possible to work with SVG assets in the form of sheet (like spritesheet)? Kenny has supplied with one SVG with multiple equal sized assets in single file. Can this tool manage slicing?

27. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

Can export this style?

Attached Files:

• grid.jpg
      grid.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  28. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I just updated to 1.1.3 but am now seeing the following error in the console window:
    I don't know whether this is related to the above; but some of my SVG renderer's are showing lots of black triangles which appear to be Z-fighting with the desirable SVG geometry.

29. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Friendly bump to see if there are any thots on the issues noted above. Cheers!

30. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

Glad that fixed it... it's a shame about the other problems though.

I always assumed the file path was determined based on where the file was located but I could be wrong. I generally just do a mass export all at once.

As I said before, I personally have never touched lighting so someone else will have to help you with that one. You may want to contact the developer personally as well, as he doesn't seem to get back to the forums too frequently.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  31. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

I don't think it can handle the slicing, but if they are already sliced as separate files the SVG Frame Animator is likely what you're looking for.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  32. appart_si

appart_si

Hello! I have a problem. On high end devices with high resolution (Samsung S6 - S7), i get wierd svg rendering. It seems that some shadows or the components of svg get offset rendered and get wierd lines. Here are two examples:
    On the left are the examples from correct svg rendering on low res. devices. On the right side there is the problematic render on S6 and S7. What could be the problem?

Thanx in advice!

numberkruncher likes this.
  33. jGate99

jGate99

@Jaroslav-Stehlik
    Still Waiting

34. Jaroslav-Stehlik

Jaroslav-Stehlik

Thank you for the report, this is wery strange behaviour

35. Jaroslav-Stehlik

Jaroslav-Stehlik

Hello, this could be solved with atlas offsetting.
    I have to implement this.
    It is caused because of rounding errors caused by mobile GPUs
    as they do not have perfect single precision as CPU does,
    by creating borders around gradients this issues should be resolved.

36. Jaroslav-Stehlik

Jaroslav-Stehlik

Could you please send me a screenshot and the version of Unity and the project? thank you!

37. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

Since Unity 5.4 or something like that, when playing my game from the editor some SVG assets would appear pink - except the first time. This is only an editor issue, when the game is deployed there is no problem. So it's just a visual issue but it's really annoying.

Any idea why ?

Thanks

38. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Hi,
    I have a stroke with a linear gradient in Illustrator 2015.3, the gradient is applied along the stroke, which when expanded creates a gradient mesh. Does anyone know if this is supported or a work around as my stroke gradients seem to be ignored by SVG importer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  39. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

That bug was fixed in the latest version, which you can get from the asset store.

40. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Not sure if it's related but I was receiving shader errors after 1.1.3 update. I believe there's some issues with line endings in the shaders.
    Some of my SVGs were showing pink because of shader errors.

I was receiving the same "cannot include SVGImporterGradientCG.cginc" errors with GradientColorAlphaBlendedAntialiased.shader & UI.Shader

I opened both those files, found the include line and changed it to something wrong, saved it, changed it back saved again and it worked.

41. Deathfate

Deathfate

I think thats an Unity 5.4 issue, just right click the svg importer folder and click on reimport

42. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

yeh I tried that, that's what led me to believe it's line endings because Unity reports tons of warnings when importing svg importer

"There are inconsistent line endings, This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors."

I have manually resolved all the line ending issues in all the shaders & scripts and it seems OK now, maybe the author could fix in the next patch release.

43. chandler55

chandler55

hi I'm a little confused on how to prevent my sliced svgrenderer's from being culled. the mesh's bounds dont match the full sliced image, its a small square that matches the original svg unstretched, so whenever that bounds is off camera the whole sliced image disappears

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  44. martinpi

martinpi

Hi, in 5.4 (OSX) with build 1.1.3, I'm getting the following error when importing the shaders:

Shader error in 'SVG Importer/Standard SVG': invalid subscript 'posWorld' 'FragmentSetup': no matching 5 parameter function at Assets/SVG Importer/Plugins/Shaders/Standard/UnitySVG.cginc(118) (on glcore)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF _ALPHABLEND_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3
    The resulting game still works on the target device (iOS) but the view in the editor has some severe problems, leading to randomly displaced vertices (especially when objects are moving) and a completely blank view now and then (restarting Unity fixes that). I've re-downloaded and re-imported several times. The line in question has only the FRAGMENT_SETUP(s) macro in it.

seidensj likes this.
  45. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Does this asset support the upcoming Unity 5.5?

46. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

Hello,
    we are very happy with svg importer, however,
    regarding performance, i noticed that every svg imported mesh causes a draw call
    - should we use sprites for the elements that have many instances on screen ?
    - is draw calls a real issue or is it really light weight if we have a simple mesh ?

Thanks

47. silentneedle

silentneedle

Is there any way to prevent SVGAtlas.Update() getting started automatically? It causes GC allocations and I would like to disable it on our server app.

48. Djungalio

Djungalio

Hello,

I bought the package and imported it straight forward into my project and after that my app wont build. I am getting the following error.

Assets\SVG Importer\Plugins\Core\Implementation\XML Parser\SmallXmlParser.cs(106,26): error CS0117: 'char' does not contain a definition for 'GetUnicodeCategory'
    Assets\SVG Importer\Plugins\Triangle\IO\FileReader.cs(501,59): error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'string' to 'System.IO.Stream'

When I create new project and import the package there its ok but i want to use it in already existing project.

Any advice on how to fix the problem?

Regards,
    G.G.

49. Deathfate

Deathfate

change your platform, you are using webgl, use android, pc, or ios

50. Knertified

Knertified

Hi, is there a way to get access to the pixel data of the SVGImage object? I tried attaching a RenderTexture to the mesh render to take a snapshot and was unsuccessful. Basically I want to get an array of pixels. Love the plugin. Thanks!