Search Unity

Suspiciously long assets importing time

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kamoski, Jan 12, 2019.

1. kamoski

kamoski

I want to state in very beginning that i am student, and i can't afford any new hardware atm, so i'm hoping for more software related tips

The problem itself:

When i try to import new project from unity learn section (2D assets kit) it literally takes about 20-30 minuets if not more to import evrything into unity. Is this typical importing time, or there is something wrong with my laptop?

I'm using lenovo ideapad 510-15ikb, which runs on:
    i5 - 72000U,
    8 gigs RAM,
    HDD drive.

I get that HDD may be the bottleneck here, but is there way to pass it somehow? Or should i just keep on going with that what i got now and try to upgrade to SSD in future?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It depends on the specific asset what the bottleneck is, but generally Unity deals with reading/writing large numbers of small files and that's about the worst case scenario for an HDD. Fortunately with real projects you're developing importing large asset kits is a rather infrequent occurrence.

I don't know if asset importing is multithreaded, but overall the engine has much improved multithreading compared to a few years ago. Unfortunately your 2 core CPU isn't going to get as much advantage from that compared to a CPU with higher core count. I do a lot of my development out of convenience on a 2 core i7 laptop even though my 6 core i7 desktop is a much better machine, and the difference in performance is quite noticeable just from the CPU.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus