Search Unity

Suspicious emails from "Unity Technologies", legit or spam?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter77, Mar 26, 2020.

1. SMokah

SMokah

Unity Technologies

Hello DEEnvironment,

For the "The definitive guide to lighting in the High Definition Render Pipeline", when you submit your information to gain full content access, at the bottom you are given a checkbox, "I agree to have Marketing Activities directed to me by and receive marketing and promotional information from Unity, including via email and social media."

Here is a link that provides more information on what those marketing activities are: https://create.unity.com/marketingactivities

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  2. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

upload_2023-5-24_5-55-58.png

And I'm clearly not the only one who thought these emails were suspicious.

1. Unity's bot doesn't clarify why it's contacting us. We have no real answer. None. It's a template.
    2. It has a strange address that triggers red flags for not only typical users, but Unity's own staff wasn't sure if these were legitimate.
    3. The messages read like spam. If I have issues, or sign up to download a book for HDRP (partially because SRPs had a problematic release [bugs, feature-parity, knowledge conversion, shaders...] and new features are coming out constantly), I don't need to be sold on more products just yet!

This relates to #1: what does "interest" in Unity even mean? I post Unity-related content all the time. How am I supposed to know from where this email is coming from and regarding what exactly? I've also been doing this for a long time, so for me to get this email now, with the message, "I see you showed interest in Unity..." while being completely impersonal, is another suspicious flag.

What you're describing sounds reasonable, but in its current state it's being perceived as spam. :(

While this is hardly going to be the biggest problem in anyone's life, it's bothered me thinking about the repeat emails because I wasn't sure if I was ignoring a real human just trying to do their job. I've received 4 so far since last the beginning of last week, how many more to go?

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, it IS suspicious spam and it's also a legit e-mail sent by Unity.

I don't know why people expect better from an Ad company?

Unifikation, BIGTIMEMASTER and Ryiah like this.
  4. andyz

andyz

Yeah they have gotten heavy on the ad mail this year with some awfully worded ones and over-desperate ones. Unfortunately they say more about the state of the company than what great things are on offer

5. zzmmorgan

zzmmorgan

Remy.Greene@e-mail.unity3d.com emails get tagged as spam because they're coming from an amazonses domain that's tagged in a number of spam blacklists. Poor planning on the the part of both Amazon and Unity.....

---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
    0.1 URIBL_SBL_A Contains URL's A record listed in the SBL blocklist
    [URIs: cloudfront.net]
    -0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2 RBL: Average reputation (+2)
    [54.240.48.54 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
    0.0 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level mail
    domains are different
    -0.0 RP_MATCHES_RCVD Envelope sender domain matches handover relay domain
    -0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, no
    trust
    [54.240.48.54 listed in list.dnswl.org]

6. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Got another one. I want to see if there will be more, still.

EDIT: Got x2 more. If it's unwanted before I have to unsubscribe, it's spam.
    You can't justify these many e-mails from a bot as anything else.

upload_2023-6-2_20-39-59.png

And another!

upload_2023-6-7_1-32-12.png

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Unifikation likes this.
  7. colistirva

colistirva

Hello everyone, I received an email like the one below. Isn't it fake? I don't understand where they find my email

upload_2023-6-29_16-38-21.png

8. SMokah

SMokah

Unity Technologies

Hello,

The email that you are mentioning is a legitimate email. Remy Greene is our AI sales assistant. Given the content of this email, you most likely had signed up for an AI beta, watched a webinar, downloaded an e-book, or engaged in another type of sales related activity for the bot to have reached out to you.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

DragonCoder likes this.
  9. Unifikation

Unifikation

Why are you using an AI sales assistant?

Why have you given "him" a name?

How far are you willing to go with deceptions of this sort before considering it immoral and/or unethical?

halley and icauroboros like this.
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've gotten multiple emails from your "AI assistant" that literally never go anywhere even when I try and push through to get connected to an actual human. What's the point of an AI assistant if it doesn't do anything but spam my inbox?

Unifikation likes this.
  11. TwiiK

TwiiK

Lol, this is absolutely tragic. Probably a sign of things to come from all major corporations though.

Hah, right. I have every concern imagineable, but I guess only laws and regulations can put an end to this, or negative reactions from shareholders of course.

Unifikation likes this.
  12. Unifikation

Unifikation

@SMokah are you a human or an interface to ChatGPT?

Either way, do you know if Unity is, has or will use AI chat agents for online content creation of any kind?

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Good thing it also says so on the e-mail...
    upload_2023-7-4_0-3-52.png

Wait.

Ryiah, Unifikation and Murgilod like this.
  14. Sluggy

Sluggy

Not to be rude but... this sounds like something an AI would say.

Unifikation likes this.
  15. Wattosan

Wattosan

An AI is human-like like you. They cannot discriminate against AI. Otherwise they would be racist...or...aicist?

AcidArrow and Unifikation like this.