Search Unity

Suspension bridges?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by J-F, Aug 2, 2013.

1. J-F

J-F

I have worked lately on a physical suspension bridge, But i've ran into some problems.

So let me explain from the beginning:

I wanted to implement a system for physical suspension bridges into my game. I started working on a set of planks with a skeleton, so that the bones have a joint between every 2 planks. I was aiming for a Legend of Zelda Wind Waker style bridge which has even dynamic ropes which support the bridge. Cutting a rope would cause the bridge to be unstable and if the player cuts a certain amount of the ropes, the bridge will collapse.

However when i added hinge joints between the bones of the bridge (the bridge had 6 bones total). The framerate dropped very dramatically and the bridge seemed to drain all the allocated ram. I tried to move the bridge to an empty scene and it still caused a massive framerate drop. My computer is not that old and completely healthy, So i'm wondering if nintendo has used a somekind of optimization / approximation system for the bridge? And more importantly, Can this be done in unity?

I scrapped the original idea and i would appreciate if someone would tell me if there is a better way to do this.